The Wildcard Race

NCRaven

7 hours ago, SteveA said:

And odd how Miley and Jiminez both have good starts the first two days after we pick up someone who might supplant one of them from the rotation!

Amazing what a little competition will do, huh?  Hellickson might improve the rotation even if he never starts a game.  Or maybe Buck uses a 6-man rotation for a while, to give everyone extra rest, while still holding out the threat of dropping someone from the rotation if he doesn't step up.  

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Odd how he goes to another team and has three walks his first game.

What I find odd is that he didnt have a run scored in a 7 run game. He's 1-1 with a double tonight. Since going to the NL he's gotta be leading the league in OBP.

10 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Amazing what a little competition will do, huh?  Hellickson might improve the rotation even if he never starts a game.  Or maybe Buck uses a 6-man rotation for a while, to give everyone extra rest, while still holding out the threat of dropping someone from the rotation if he doesn't step up.  

I think we go six man rotation until it stops working/someone pitches their way out of it. With Gentry, Tejada, and Joseph on the bench, we've got the defensive flexibility we need.

No reason not to throw it against a wall and see if it sticks at this point....whatever possible ideas to make the rotation work, the hell with the implications elsewhere on the team. I think it was foolish to go five man bench for as long as we did earlier this year, and I think it sapped the pen at a time when injuries were prevalent. Let's do the opposite now.

11 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

Amazing what a little competition will do, huh?  Hellickson might improve the rotation even if he never starts a game. 

I'm not a big believer that a big league pitcher can suddenly pitch better because someone new is competing for his spot.     These guys have all the incentive in the world to try to go out and give their best, with or without Hellickson being in the mix.

11 hours ago, Malike said:

What I find odd is that he didnt have a run scored in a 7 run game. He's 1-1 with a double tonight. Since going to the NL he's gotta be leading the league in OBP.

He's going to excel in the NL if they can deal with his defense. 

26 minutes ago, Kevinod00 said:

I would be curious to see Beckham lead off with that speed.

Well, he doesn't steal bases and getting on base isn't his strong point either. 

I like him at the bottom of the order.  My ideal lineup is:  1. Smith 2. Machado 3. Schoop 4. Davis 5. Mancini 6. Jones 7. Trumbo 8. Castillo 9. Beckham

2 hours ago, schittenden said:

I was just noticing that KC and Seattle play each other this weekend.  If the O's take care of business against the Tigers, they should at least gain on someone.

Hope they split 2-2.  Then we need to win 3 of 4 from Detroit.  Keep winning series.

On 8/2/2017 at 10:14 AM, Frobby said:

I'm not a big believer that a big league pitcher can suddenly pitch better because someone new is competing for his spot.     These guys have all the incentive in the world to try to go out and give their best, with or without Hellickson being in the mix.

Rest seems to have been the key  for the rotation.  That is why a 6 man rotation should good for most of them starters.

American League Wild Card Race

American League

W           L             PCT        GB          HOME   ROAD    RS           RA          DIFF       STRK      L10

New York Yankees           57           49           .538       +2           32-20     25-29     560        444        +116               L2           7-3

Kansas City Royals           55           51           .519       -              30-23     25-28     457        469        -12               L3           6-4

Tampa Bay Rays               56           53           .514       0.5         29-23     27-30     500        494        +6               W2         5-5

Seattle Mariners               55           54           .505       1.5         32-27     23-27     515        515        0               L1           6-4

Baltimore Orioles             53           54           .495       2.5         33-21     20-33     498        558        -60               W5         7-3

Los Angeles Angels          53           55           .491       3             29-23     24-32     456        467        -11               W2         6-4

Minnesota Twins              51           54           .486       3.5         23-31     28-23     474        546        -72               W1         3-7

Texas Rangers    51           56           .477       4.5         28-26     23-30     528        528        0             W1               4-6

Toronto Blue Jays            51           57           .472       5             27-26     24-31     457        535        -78               W2         7-3

Detroit Tigers     49           57           .462       6             27-25     22-32     512        537        -25         W2               5-5

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

No Fulmer, no JD Martinez, no Alex Avila.   Not the same Tigers we faced in Detroit, but still dangerous.    

"Dangerous" I guess......but the writing is on the wall all over that clubhouse. They are in "pack it in" mode and I don't see them having much fight left. They are down 3 huge pieces and I don't think they are exactly chomping at the bit to fight scratch and claw for wins down the stretch.

This is a great time to be playing them and we couldn't really ask for a better spot, considering how hot we are right now. 

Archived