The Wildcard Race

NCRaven

Funny thing is, with last night's win and losses by lots of teams that the Orioles are competing with for the wildcard, we now only have three teams ahead of us, not six like yesterday.  KC has the second wildcard and we're playing them now.  Seattle and Tampa Bay are both two games ahead of us with TB only 3-7 over their last 10 games, so we've been gaining ground on them.  We're in a virtual tie with Minnesota, but they are also 3-7 over their last 10.  We actually have a path to a wildcard slot.

But then there's Jiminez, Miley and Tillman...

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was hoping for more of a rebuild, but we are where we are. Bring on this wildcard race! I actually feel like the O's have played some of their best baseball in months since the Cubs series (9-5 in that stretch).

A few standouts:

Kevin Gausman- Over his last 3 starts- 3-0, 20.2 IP, 24 Ks, 0.44 ERA!

Ubaldo Jimenez- Over his last 2 starts- 0-1, 13 IP, 15 Ks, 2.08 ERA

Jonathan Schoop- Last 14 days- .388 AVG, 6 HR, 20 RBIs, 1.222 OPS. AL Player of the Week nod.

o

Because of the fact that the Orioles are still under .500 this late in the season, I only get excited about individual wins (such as last night.)

If and when the Orioles get to 3 or 4 games over .500, I might start peeking at the AL East standings and/or the the AL Wildcard standings.

And for the sake of simplicity, the Orioles happen to be 6 and-a-half games behind the Yankees for 1st place in the AL East (the division chase being mathematically less complex than the Wildcard chase.)

o

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Odd how he goes to another team and has three walks his first game.

And odd how Miley and Jiminez both have good starts the first two days after we pick up someone who might supplant one of them from the rotation!

Archived