Santander

OriolesMagic83

14 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The season before Santander was selected in the Rule 5 draft he had an .862 OPS as a 21-year-old in the Carolina League.  62 extra base hits in 128 games.  One of the top couple dozen hitters in the league while being one of the couple dozen youngest players in the league.

Then the O's selected him, had him jump three levels, and mostly sit the bench for a while until he got injured.  I'm not sure if it was a "Rule 5 Injury" or a real one, but he missed over 100 games.  But when he was rehabbing at AA Bowie he had 10 extra base hits in 15 games and a comic book, SSS OPS.

After what was a mostly wasted year he bounced around several levels in 2018, played less than 100 total games.  I don't remember but he may have been hurt some then, too.  And this year he didn't hit real well in Norfolk, but in just 200 PAs.

I think his development was derailed a little by the chaos of being a Rule 5 pick and bouncing around to so many levels and locations and he may have also been legitimately injured.  If he'd just stayed in the Indians organization and been healthy I don't know that his performance this year would be that remarkable. On a normal, conservative promotion pace he'd have spent 2017 in AA, 2018 mostly in AAA, and probably gotten a real shot in the majors this year.

Indians could have really used him this year.  I'm sure he is a better hitter than any OF that started the year w/ the Indians. 

o

(vs. ROYALS, 8/30)

NUMBER 14

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER

o

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Punchandjudy said:

How long is Santander under control? He has blossomed this season and I contend it’s way more important to lock him up long term as opposed to Mancini: 

He will end up a few days short of 2 years of service time after this season so he is under control through the 2024 season. He will be a Super 2 in 2021 and arbitration eligible for four seasons.

• Upvote 1

Anthony Santander of
1 year (2019)

• 1 year (2019)
    • re-signed by Baltimore 3/19
  • 1 year/$546,500 (2018)
    • re-signed by Baltimore 3/18
  • 1 year/$535,000 (2017)
    • selected by Baltimore from Cleveland in Rule 5 draft 12/8/16
    • re-signed by Baltimore 3/17
  • signed by Cleveland 7/2/11 as an amateur free agent from Venezuela
  • $385,000 signing bonus
  • ML service: 1.046

COTS

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Philip said:

A genuinely solid all-around player with a long future and real trade value.

I do not think one relates to the other if you are looking for Building Blocks.  Why would you mention "Trade Value" on a 24 year old building block.  IF the rebuild is three to five years , Santander will be in his prime and a Free Agent in 2024.