Interview with Marc Topkin/Tampa Times on Beckham

wildcard

26 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

I have a question.

Why are a few hell bent on finding some dirt or throwing shade on Beckham? I could care less why the Rays got rid of him. All I know is that he has raked in the short time he's been an Oriole. Will he remain this hot? NO! But he's hot right now. Maybe he needed a change in scenery. It happens.

I swear, some of you are too attached to "our guys."

I look for interesting articles about the O's whether they are good or bad.  That is what this forum is all about.  If this about the O's you should be able to find it right here.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Gentry- 2017: .211

Mendoza - Career: .215

Bob Uecker hit .200 for his career.

I understand that. I also realize that the cutoff point is regularly referred to as .200. The Mendoza line was actually made up by his teammates when he hit .198 in a season and was at .201 for his career.

38 minutes ago, Malike said:

I understand that. I also realize that the cutoff point is regularly referred to as .200. The Mendoza line was actually made up by his teammates when he hit .198 in a season and was at .201 for his career.

Well he was hitting about .188  before the two hits. 

2 hours ago, ORIOLE33 said:

I have a question.

Why are a few hell bent on finding some dirt or throwing shade on Beckham? I could care less why the Rays got rid of him. All I know is that he has raked in the short time he's been an Oriole. Will he remain this hot? NO! But he's hot right now. Maybe he needed a change in scenery. It happens.

I swear, some of you are too attached to "our guys."

Throwing shade??? Oh, brother. No one is finding dirt, those things happened while he was in Tampa.

It certainly had nothing to do with Hardy for me, as I never thought he should be extended but I understand why they did it. But Hardy has definitely had the better glove. 

And there are some very real concerns about Beckham and his maturity/attitude. That said, I'm willing to give him a clean slate and he should have motivation knowing that Hardy won't likely be here next year.

2 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Beckham thrown out stealing 3B in the 9th inning down by 3 runs, must have gotten a base running tip from Manny

Are you ever happy? It went RIGHT back to the C in a second. You could try to hit the bricks and that may happen 1 out of 250. Come on. It was a perfect ricochet. 

6 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Eh, I'll agree with webbrick on this one.  There is absolutely no reason to run there.  I understand it was extremely unlucky, but if you're not absolutely 100% sure, you don't go.  His run meant nothing.  That was a bad play.

It's like Steve Bartman. Anyone's natural reaction is to run there. 

8 hours ago, wildcard said:

Forewarned is forearmed.

Dan Connolly does a good interview with the Tampa Times beat writer.  There is a lot of insight into what kind of player Tim Beckham is and why the Rays traded him.  Topkin says Beckham will do 3 or 4 things really well but then does one thing that kills you.  And he gives examples.

http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2017/08/04/around-beat-tampas-topkin-talks-rays-gave-beckham-beckham-hellickson-orioles/

Scroll to the bottom to click on the interview.

I like his presence in the dugout a lot right now. I'm high on Becks.

RF: Hays R

CF: Mullins S

3B: Manny R

2B: Schoop R

1B: Davis L

DH: Mancini R

LF: Santander S/Mountcastle R

C: Sisco L

SS: Beckham R

Could be the best team I've ever seen. 

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Beckham took off on a pitch that was over the batters head basically. How is he suppose to know it would hit the bricks perfectly?  He didn't wait until it hit the bricks, he reacted right away. 

You have to know the situation and not react.  You basically plant your feet 2 feet from the bag and don't run until you have to.  There is just no reason to even consider running there.  You have recognize that you are basically just a placeholder until the actual run that matters (hopefully) comes up.

I'm not trying to kill the guy, but that was a terrible baseball play.  It may have been low risk and he just got unlucky, but there was zero reward.

Just now, glenn__davis said:

You have to know the situation and not react.  You basically plant your feet 2 feet from the bag and don't run until you have to.  There is just no reason to even consider running there.  You have recognize that you are basically just a placeholder until the actual run that matters (hopefully) comes up.

I'm not trying to kill the guy, but that was a terrible baseball play.  It may have been low risk and he just got unlucky, but there was zero reward.

I get that your run doesn't matter but it isn't like he took off on a pitch 3 feet from the catcher. 

This is a die hard Orioles board. We all know those bricks are there, that said that perfect bounce back is nearly impossible. I never recall seeing that. I just think it was a natural reaction. The pitch missed his mitt by a mile. 

Normally I would rip a guy over that myself.  

Archived