What's the most you'd offer any of Hardy, Jimenez, Miley, or Tillman to return?

FanSince88

1 hour ago, Cumberbundy said:

Tillman was made for Oakland. Of course, so is everyone else. That would be a nice spot for his fb.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Only player I see coming back that's a FA is Flaherty. On a one year minimum deal. 

Seems like there is some makings for some bad blood with Tillman. The whole offseason and not coming to Baltimore like our docs wanted fiasco. Then the season. I think he signs a one year deal with a NL team. Atlanta?  

Might sounds crazy but I like Wright for a rotation spot next year. Maybe a ST battle of Castro, Wright and Aquino for 1 spot. 

My guess is that he goes to Pittsburgh. He's a guy that Ray Searage foams at the mouth for. Wright is a reliever. Flash will stay, and all we will just get SP in FA. Hays and Mullins will be in the OF next year

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I think the O's have to go into ST with 10 starter candidates next spring.  Gausman, Bundy, Tillman, Castro, Bleier, Long, Asher, Wright are 8.   Aquino and Ynoa are out for options and probably do not stay on the 40 man all winter IMO.   Means and Hess are question marks at this point as starters for me.  

I agree the O's have to pick up two starters that have major league experience, probably through trades.

Wright is out of options too, so he's either starting, in the bullpen, or DFA - although I suspect he has a good chance of clearing waivers. 

One caveat on Long - he has eight AA starts, and his splits show he's better out of the bullpen.  I would guess that DD will want to see more consistency out of him before giving him the chance to start in Baltimore, . 

Given the way they've used him, I would guess that Asher will have the best shot.  I could see them using Hess and/or Means like they've used Aquino and Ynoa this year.  Maybe a spot start here or there, but let them pitch in Norfolk.  I could see them doing that with Long too - and Chris Lee for that matter.

I would expect that all of the above will be in ST, either by way of 40 man roster or invite and that could determine how things go - as could a couple of offseason trades. 

16 minutes ago, OrioleRedenbacher said:

Wright is out of options too, so he's either starting, in the bullpen, or DFA - although I suspect he has a good chance of clearing waivers. 

One caveat on Long - he has eight AA starts, and his splits show he's better out of the bullpen.  I would guess that DD will want to see more consistency out of him before giving him the chance to start in Baltimore, . 

Given the way they've used him, I would guess that Asher will have the best shot.  I could see them using Hess and/or Means like they've used Aquino and Ynoa this year.  Maybe a spot start here or there, but let them pitch in Norfolk.  I could see them doing that with Long too - and Chris Lee for that matter.

I would expect that all of the above will be in ST, either by way of 40 man roster or invite and that could determine how things go - as could a couple of offseason trades. 

I think that Castro and Bleier have a better shot at starting than Wright.  Wright has failed as a major league starter several times and his future is probably as a reliever.  That will be fine if Castro, Bleier or both of them move to the rotation.

Like most to he candidates  Long will have to earn his spot on the major league team.  But he has as good a shot as anyone but Bundy and Gausman  on making the rotation. There are few sure things in the rotation.

Lee has an option which will probably kept him in the organization but he has had a bad year and probably spends at least the first half in AAA.

Means and Hess both need to be placed on the 40 man roster to protect them from the Rule 5 draft.   They are on the bubble with their performances so its up in air about whether they make it or not.

JMO

9 minutes ago, weams said:

6/1 Tillman

If that means 6m.  There is no way I would guarantee Tillman 6m next year.  He could be just has bad as he has been this year.  Im base with incentives that would get him to 6m would work IMO. 

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think that Castro and Bleier have a better shot at starting than Wright.  Wright has failed as a major league starter several times and his future is probably as a reliever.  That will be fine if Castro, Bleier or both of them move to the rotation.

Like most to he candidates  Long will have to earn his spot on the major league team.  But he has as good a shot as anyone but Bundy and Gausman  on making the rotation. There are few sure things in the rotation.

Lee has an option which will probably kept him in the organization but he has had a bad year and probably spends at least the first half in AAA.

Means and Hess both need to be placed on the 40 man roster to protect them from the Rule 5 draft.   They are on the bubble with their performances so its up in air about whether they make it or not.

I would not be surprised if Castro got a few starts in September and think you're right about his chances - particularly compared to Wright.

Lee's a strange case.  He was added to the 40 man after limited high minors success, did well in ST and by all accounts was ready to have a good year in Norfolk, and it just hasn't happened.  I wonder about nagging injury concerns that he's just not reporting because of his history. He may get moved to the bullpen to provide some extra lefty help.

It'll be interesting how they handle the Rule 5 guys.  Hess and Means' biggest plus is that they have options, so all things being equal the O's prefer them to Wright, Wilson, Aquino, Ynoa,etc - because we know how they love their options. 

5 minutes ago, OrioleRedenbacher said:

I would not be surprised if Castro got a few starts in September and think you're right about his chances - particularly compared to Wright.

Lee's a strange case.  He was added to the 40 man after limited high minors success, did well in ST and by all accounts was ready to have a good year in Norfolk, and it just hasn't happened.  I wonder about nagging injury concerns that he's just not reporting because of his history. He may get moved to the bullpen to provide some extra lefty help.

It'll be interesting how they handle the Rule 5 guys.  Hess and Means' biggest plus is that they have options, so all things being equal the O's prefer them to Wright, Wilson, Aquino, Ynoa,etc - because we know how they love their options. 

They have invested a ton in Wright.  If he can be a good reliever I think he get a chance at that  And it he can shows he can get major league hitters out then maybe he gets a shot at the rotation sometime in the future.

The O's have a ton of guys that are eligible for the Rule 5 draft including Sisco, Wotherspoon. Scott, Long. Harvey, Ramirez, Rafaela, Gassaway, Yaz, Rodriguez and Wynn.  The question is whether a plus 4.00 ERA and high WHIP at AAs gets Means and Hess  a spot on the 40 man.   They need a good August and September.

Tillman on a 1 year, incentive laden deal (7 figures).

Hell no to Miley or Ubaldo. They're some of the most frustrating pitchers to watch. I don't care if they turn it around this year. Good bye. No thank you.

JJ Hardy...time to move on. Doesn't hit well enough and would be too expensive in a utility role.

4 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Tillman on a 1 year, incentive laden deal (7 figures).

Hell no to Miley or Ubaldo. They're some of the most frustrating pitchers to watch. I don't care if they turn it around this year. Good bye. No thank you.

JJ Hardy...time to move on. Doesn't hit well enough and would be too expensive in a utility role.

I tend to agree with all of this...but, 

Hardy would be a pretty good utility and stability guy and his role playing as late innings and rests etc., should render his bat less of a concern.  I DO think it is unlikely he would take the job at the commiserate salary.

As for the pitchers, I think we all under estimate how hard it is to just drop a guy in to a #4 or #5 role and have sustained success.  Im ready to move on from ALL of Tillman, Miley and Ubaldo.  But we may offer incentive laden deals to all three in my opinion and it would not surprise me at all to see two of them back.  And I mean cheap deals with heavy incentives clauses.

Honestly I'd offer all of em $1M deals with incentives and force em to make opening day rosters.  If they get better, congrats.

19 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

I don't see Hardy as a UTIF.  Has he ever played 2B/3B? He could probably get more $ elsewhere. Flaherty would be better and cheaper. Or they could get Tejada

What kind of salary do you think an oft injured, 35 year old SS with a .566 OPS  get?   Would he get a starting job with another team?

I think it more about does he want to be a backup or does he want to quit.

Archived