A Little Redemtion

Camden_yardbird

In the past month Dan Duquette has recieved a lot of christicism for a number of different actions including buying when he should have sold, failing to sign draft picks, and trading off international bonus slots.

Well,  Hellickson didn't cost much and has been solid.  Although he doesn't move the needle far he also keeps us closer to playoff viability.  Beckham has been a beast since coming over, and while he hasn't been captain America over the last week like he was over the first we can admit it was probably not a bad get.

Today we learned about what happened to that failed draft signing of 4th rounder Jack Conlin for medical issues.  Conklin was made a free agent and got a deal with the giants, only the giants found yet another medical issue and Conlin is heading to college.

Time will tell on the players garnered for international draft spots, but given the results of the first two criticisms thus far, maybe Dan deserves a little bit of the benefit of the doubt.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

How is drafting a kid with medical issues, in the 4th round, considered redemption?

I think it meant that Dan somehow got heat on the board for not signing Conlin in the fourth round despite the medical issues.  And that it apparently turns out to have been a good choice not to sign him. 

18 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

In the past month Dan Duquette has recieved a lot of christicism for a number of different actions including buying when he should have sold, failing to sign draft picks, and trading off international bonus slots.

Well,  Hellickson didn't cost much and has been solid.  Although he doesn't move the needle far he also keeps us closer to playoff viability.  Beckham has been a beast since coming over, and while he hasn't been captain America over the last week like he was over the first we can admit it was probably not a bad get.

Today we learned about what happened to that failed draft signing of 4th rounder Jack Conlin for medical issues.  Conklin was made a free agent and got a deal with the giants, only the giants found yet another medical issue and Conlin is heading to college.

Time will tell on the players garnered for international draft spots, but given the results of the first two criticisms thus far, maybe Dan deserves a little bit of the benefit of the doubt.

Well maybe. I don't blame him for the lack of international drafting. That's on ownership. Hellickson and Beckham seem to be working out. But not trading Britton or Brach was a complete failure. IMO 

I find the excitement of being relatively close (in term of games back, not so much in terms of teams back) to the second wild card to be contagious, but I think DD mis-read the competitiveness of his team and has given up future assets for a playoff longshot - under or around 5% at the time of those deals.  Having a 5% chance at the playoffs is a time to be a seller not a buyer, but we have seen repeatedly in the last five years almost every move has been to improve the 25 man roster - to move it forward - often at the expense of long term competitiveness.  

Also, similar to moves in the past years, this opening post has an almost complete disregard for what we gave up in deadline deals.  Other teams valued Josh Hader in Low A-ball and Steven Brault and a list of guys who are going to be better major league producers than what we gave up (or at least have significantly more value as trade assets than when we dealt them).  

With Beckham, maybe DD can flip Beckham at some point for more than what was given up, and maybe Beckham will be a solid to solid-plus regular for the next few years, but it seems more likely that Beckham's highest value (production relative to cost) will be this season as his salary spikes in his coming arbitration years and as he passes peak production age.  And then there are hypotheticals - maybe Beckham could have come cheaper in the offseason.

It is exciting to not be so far back in the WC race, but likely not smart to give up future assets for a 5% play.  My opinion really hasn't changed.

2 hours ago, tntoriole said:

I think it meant that Dan somehow got heat on the board for not signing Conlin in the fourth round despite the medical issues.  And that it apparently turns out to have been a good choice not to sign him. 

I don't recall anyone suggesting the O's sign the kid after he failed the physical.  I thought he should have offered him the 140K needed to keep him from becoming a free agent.  But I never suggested that Conlon would accept it.

Just now, Camden_yardbird said:

I can't follow any of this because i can't find 'redemtion' or 'christicsm' in any dictionary.

3 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

Well maybe. I don't blame him for the lack of international drafting. That's on ownership. Hellickson and Beckham seem to be working out. But not trading Britton or Brach was a complete failure. IMO 

And you believe Duquette made the decision not to trade Britton or Brach based on what facts, rumors, assumptions or whatever?   

(For what it's worth, I believe Angelos was determined not to trade any veterans, and sent Duquette off to find the best possible deal for Brach in an effort to be held up to less ridicule.)

I'm not sure I blame him for not dealing Britton and Brach, who really knows if Angelos vetoed the Britton deal or if the Astros just didn't offer what DD would accept.

I didn't like the Hellickson and Beckham deals when they happened, but once Britton wasn't traded they made a little more sense to me. We potentially got a replacement for Hardy and Hellickson will help the rotation. I'm not as high on Tobias Myers as some, but neither of these deals hurt the system as much as losing Hader and Davies so I'm ok with them.

I won't blame him for Conlon. I think the decision on what happens after a failed physical is all Angelos. I do think we should have offered him the $140k to prevent him from becoming a free agent though.

I won't blame him for the international draft spots either, that's another decision that I think is all Angelos. I absolutely hate that we do not participate in the international signing period, and I think it really hurts the amount of talent we have in the system. I guess he at least get's something for the slot money. Without those slot trades I'm pretty sure not one cent of that money would be spent.

5 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

I know. With all l those top prospects that were offered for Britton I cant believe he wasn't traded. Who were they again?o.O

2 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

And you believe Duquette made the decision not to trade Britton or Brach based on what facts, rumors, assumptions or whatever?   

(For what it's worth, I believe Angelos was determined not to trade any veterans, and sent Duquette off to find the best possible deal for Brach in an effort to be held up to less ridicule.)

I it's just my own opinion. 

17 minutes ago, Dannyboy said:

I know. With all l those top prospects that were offered for Britton I cant believe he wasn't traded. Who were they again?o.O

Watch the O's hold on to him and they will get nothing. I don't expect him to be traded in the offseason. The O's hold on too long to their players. Give ridiculous contracts too others. IMO 

1 minute ago, Tx Oriole said:

Watch the O's hold on to him and they will get nothing. I don't expect him to be traded in the offseason. The O's hold on too long to their players. Give ridiculous contracts too others. IMO 

Yep I think reloading is going to be the theme of the offseason.

Archived