Duquette Future

Deadwood Fan

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

Brady would be awful.  Buck would be better but not sure if the administrative pieces are his strong suit as he nears retirement.   I would much prefer a young assistant GM with strong analytic and player development background. 

I don't know how well Buck or Brady would perform in that role. (I have my doubts about Buck since he's been a strong naysayer on advanced statistics, but maybe he could rely on others' input.) Neither has a track record that gives me confidence he would be successful.

I think the Orioles would have trouble hiring the young assistant GM you describe. That person would need to be comfortable starting his career with a so-so team that has a very weak minor league system, a uniquely small, near-zero investment in international scouting, drafting and development, revenues of around half of two of its divisional rivals (before revenue sharing), an eroding fan base, financial uncertainty due to the MASN case and the prospect of hundreds of millions of dollars in estate taxes, and an owner who makes decisions about long-term contracts, retaining aging players and trades -- and has no qualms about embarrassing you in front of your baseball peers by yanking the rug out from under you after you've negotiated a deal or about letting you take the heat for his ignorant decisions and inaction.

That doesn't sound like a great opportunity to me.

One question I've wondered about, and I'm guessing nobody has an answer to, but I'll ask it anyway. What goes into the decisions that Angelos makes that involve an assessment bout the value of a player or players -- signing Davis, not trading Britton for the packaages that were offered, not making Manny  or Adam available? The eye test, traditional statistics (BA, HR, RBIs, W-L, ERA), more advanced statistics, PR assessment,  what baseball people around him say, gut instincts, a dartboard, astrological charts? 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

Brady would be awful.  Buck would be better but not sure if the administrative pieces are his strong suit as he nears retirement.   I would much prefer a young assistant GM with strong analytic and player development background. 

I sure prefer that instead of Brady or Buck. 

25 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Several reasons. I take what Rosenthal says with a grain of salt but he continues to report friction between them. I love Buck but he has a big ego. He lets everyone know when he disagrees with Dan if people can read between the lines. You have the whole Toronto fiasco with Dan. As I have said before Buck is not a typical manager in 2017. He has more power than most.  

I agree that they are not the same kind of people.  And they probably do disagree on some things.  But I don't think Buck wants to be a GM.  He wants to win a World Series as a manager and go into the HOF IMO.   

In spite of what ever differences they have I think both understand that Dan's job working for Peter is not easy.    And Buck knows that a lesser GM will not keep them winning.   

I think the question is does Dan want to the stay.  And the answer  revolves around how much Peter will pay him to stay.   

13 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Angelos is no expert to influence any of the acting GMs decisions who've come before Duquette. That hasn't changed since he hired Dan.

Angelos knows who Miguel Gonzalez is & should be frustrated by a guy letting him go for nothing, watching our pitching get humiliated, & then have the guy who gave him away asking to send assets to get him back. 11 cheap assets, all of which would make us better today, for nothing. Dans belief in his own expertise may be the problem. If he had never traded any players we'd have a much brighter future. Unlikely his goal, but you never know.

That neglects Edwin being better than Hellickson. Or it did. 12 cheap assets, 8 of which are on rookie contracts, all of which have brought us absolutely nothing we can use moving forward. Cleavinger could be lucky #13 but I don't want to lose track of the top 10 assets Dan gave away to make us more expensive & worse at baseball. 

11 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I think you are overestimating Angelos' baseball IQ,  He no doubt has/had a brilliant legal mind, but he seems to be in a special ed class for baseball knowledge.  No interest in international talent (over 1/3 of MLB players and top 8 prospects), emphasis on HR over complete baseball players, no working plan to develop starting pitchers, etc.  don't show he has much baseball intelligence.  I think that if Angelos fires DD, he is replaced by Brady. 

I believe that Angelos is a curse not a blessing. He makes Dans job harder than any other GMs. That combined with Dan being a lesser GM than others makes for the loss of what could be the most exciting baseball years the city has seen in decades. We really drafted well. 

Starting next year with Davies/Brault/Hader/EdRod/Bundy/Gaus/Bridwell as cost controlled young pitching talent, along with Harvey, Hall & Scott in the minors & a number of incredibly exciting young bats to put around Machado/Schoop/Mancini would give us a lot of money & a lot to be excited about. Add Britton/Givens closing out games & we are the envy of many. Dan compounds the problem, he doesn't mitigate it. 

Let's not leave out 2 first round picks who could be elite prospects.

That's so much to sacrifice to be running this roster out each day.

I have seen ppl suggest that Bridwell and Jake couldn't thrive here because they need the cutter, that's also part of what makes Dan a terrible GM. If you think this guy should be leading a team in 2017 then we will have to agree that I'm right & you're stubborn. I believe that's how the saying goes.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2012/08/dan-duquette-on-the-os-pitching-philosophy-we-dont-like-the-cutter.html

42 minutes ago, Cumberbundy said:

Angelos knows who Miguel Gonzalez is & should be frustrated by a guy letting him go for nothing, watching our pitching get humiliated, & then have the guy who gave him away asking to send assets to get him back. 11 cheap assets, all of which would make us better today, for nothing. Dans belief in his own expertise may be the problem. If he had never traded any players we'd have a much brighter future. Unlikely his goal, but you never know.

That neglects Edwin being better than Hellickson. Or it did. 12 cheap assets, 8 of which are on rookie contracts, all of which have brought us absolutely nothing we can use moving forward. Cleavinger could be lucky #13 but I don't want to lose track of the top 10 assets Dan gave away to make us more expensive & worse at baseball. 

In your eyes 2014 Bud Norris never happened. Andrew Miller 2014 never happened. Brault is in the big leagues instead of AAA and Hader is a starter instead of relief pitcher. 

Arrieta was great here, he just never had a chance. Miranda would have only let up 29 HR's so far in Baltimore.  

I should have liked Duq. I just lost a day won on the OH, I've never felt so down. You work hard to win days & then the win is gone just as quickly as it arrived. I'm going to tell my therapist that we can forget about mom for awhile, we've got a brand new set of issues to work through.

Btw, anyone know a good tattoo removal place? ☹️

57 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I want Duquette gone as well but I have reached a point of reservation where I believe he is back for his final year. He will have a lot of money to play with this offseason and I believe Angelos will tell him to spend, mostly on pitching.

I hope not. The last 2 times Duquette spent on pitching he gave up 2 first round picks and double digit/year salaries for Ubaldo and Gallardo.

4 hours ago, baltfan said:

Only so many of these jobs.  Ask LaCava if he likes still being an Asst. GM since passsing up the Orioles job.

There's a good chance that LaCava feels good about his situation. Yes, there are only 30 of these jobs, but many people/professionals really do value their work environment and strongly prefer clear lines of authority, a certain amount of autonomy to do their jobs, etc. The Orioles were so messed up that their first choice of field manager didn't accept their offer either. Anyway, not everybody puts ambition ahead of suboptimal work environment. Personally I regret making a professional move from a very supportive working environment to shark infested waters to satisfy my ambition. I got all the professional kudos (money, recognition, etc.) that my ambition wanted, but ultimately I would have been personally and professionally happier if I had not made the move. 

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think Dan and Buck are extended this off season.

Manny is signed to a 10 year contract with a 5 year opt out.

Castro becomes a starter, Britton is traded for a starter.  Hayes replaces Smith in the outfield.

I would actually be fine with all of that.

Archived