So I was looking at our lineup...

Natty

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is Jones not in the lineup?  He is in the top two in salary and he's hitting .275.

Had to look that up. Didn't know Jones made so much this year. My bad. Apologies. 

This is disgusting, but it's also pretty old news at this point.  And despite how infuriating it is, the two guys in question aren't even the biggest reason we aren't a competitive team right now.  Gausman and Tillman.  If those guys did what we thought they would do in the first half, we are probably 5 games over .500 right now and in a WC spot.  So yea, its frustrating, but our two "TOR" starters being completely unserviceable in the first half is what killed us.  That, and the complete neglect Duquette showed for the rest of the rotation last winter, obviously.  Are the Trumbo and Davis contracts REALLY bad?  Yea, absolutely.  Are they to blame for this less than mediocre team we've put on the field this year?  Probably not.

41 minutes ago, Natty said:

Had to look that up. Didn't know Jones made so much this year. My bad. Apologies. 

I was wondering what's wrong with Jones' batting average.  Hardy also makes more than Trumbo.  Davis is the big problem, but it is what it is.  The O's are going to have to work around that problem for another 5 full years.  Well, it could be worse.  The team does have a lot of guys in AA and AAA that'll be working cheaply in the bigs by 2018.  And adding guys like Castro and Beckham gives them 2 cheap "veterans".    

9 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I was wondering what's wrong with Jones' batting average.  Hardy also makes more than Trumbo.  Davis is the big problem, but it is what it is.  The O's are going to have to work around that problem for another 5 full years.  Well, it could be worse.  The team does have a lot of guys in AA and AAA that'll be working cheaply in the bigs by 2018.  And adding guys like Castro and Beckham gives them 2 cheap "veterans".    

Hardy isn't exactly in the lineup.  (Machado is making the same as Trumbo 11.5M)

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hardy isn't exactly in the lineup.  (Machado is making the same as Trumbo 11.5M)

I assume he meant Trumbo along with Davis.  My point being there are others (along with Jones) making more than Trumbo (wasn't even thinking about Hardy hitting less than Trumbo).      

3 hours ago, joelala said:

This is disgusting, but it's also pretty old news at this point.  And despite how infuriating it is, the two guys in question aren't even the biggest reason we aren't a competitive team right now.  Gausman and Tillman.  If those guys did what we thought they would do in the first half, we are probably 5 games over .500 right now and in a WC spot.  So yea, its frustrating, but our two "TOR" starters being completely unserviceable in the first half is what killed us.  That, and the complete neglect Duquette showed for the rest of the rotation last winter, obviously.  Are the Trumbo and Davis contracts REALLY bad?  Yea, absolutely.  Are they to blame for this less than mediocre team we've put on the field this year?  Probably not.

And if Wade was good as we had hoped. Maybe we would be better too. 

Archived