Will Castillo opt out?

wildcard

He has a 7m player option for next year.  He currently has a 781 OPS.   The combination of his offensive production and his age next year (31) could make him the free agent catcher that is most likely to get the biggest contract.

What do you think?  Does he opt out?  Should the O's try to keep him with an extension or a better contract?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

It's his option not the Orioles

Right, but the question in the OP was whether the team should try to retain him with an extension or better offer.  I agree, they shouldn't.  If he picks up the option, fine. But if he doesn't, we can use that $7m elsewhere. Like focusing on young international talent (ha!). 

It kind of feels like what happened when Weiters was given the Q.O. with the main thought that he would decline.

I hope he doesn't exercise his option because I want to see what direction the Orioles go with catching, but with him and Caleb splitting time and Beef not being the true #1 right now...Maybe he exercises it if he feels like he won't get more than $7 million in the first year from another team.

My thought is he will. Right now Castillo basically is splitting time with Caleb. If he wants to have any chance at a multi year deal his odds staying in Baltimore are lessened. 

His agent just needs to find him a one year deal somewhere. I would take that chance myself. 

48 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd explain to Beef that Cisco is going to be on the roster next year and that it would impact his playing time if he decided to stay with the team.

It doesn't sound like Sisco is ready for the majors defensively.   Teams will run on him.   I think  a Joseph/Wynns combo is a better way to go.

I think folks are nuts if they think he'll opt in.  He's one of the best throwing catchers in baseball, he's framing pitches much better than he did in the first half of the season, and he's a good hitter.  And splitting time this year is a plus for his future - it's meant he's put less mileage on his knees.  It wouldn't surprise me if he's an all-star next year.    

3 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I think folks are nuts if they think he'll opt in.  He's one of the best throwing catchers in baseball, he's framing pitches much better than he did in the first half of the season, and he's a good hitter.  And splitting time this year is a plus for his future - it's meant he's put less mileage on his knees.  It wouldn't surprise me if he's an all-star next year.    

Barring anything ridiculous, this is probably what happens

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

It doesn't sound like Sisco is ready for the majors defensively.   Teams will run on him.   I think  a Joseph/Wynns combo is a better way to go.

Have you not seen the data showing teams are running a lot less, and less successfully, on him now then at the start of the season?

Folks have made a huge deal about his throwing, newsflash his pop times are only below average, not worst in the league level.

5 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

The rest of the team is going to have to be horrid for Beef to get the pity appearance for the O's. 

6 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

If his framing is so good then how come I keep reading about all these missed strike calls from the umps in the game thread?

I never see a poster go "Beef really stole that strike with his framing!", or "Way to present that pitch Beef!".

Archived