Ten years ago today...

PaulFolk

Probably wouldn't have been a big deal if it happened in 2014 or 2016. The fact that it happened in 2007, in the midst of 10 straight losing seasons (to become 14) was the ultimate humiliation. In addition to the other 29 run game mentioned in the article, the Rangers were also involved in another legendary game of that era, the Josh Hamilton 4 HR game in early 2012.

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Probably wouldn't have been a big deal if it happened in 2014 or 2016. The fact that it happened in 2007, in the midst of 10 straight losing seasons (to become 14) was the ultimate humiliation. In addition to the other 29 run game mentioned in the article, the Rangers were also involved in another legendary game of that era, the Josh Hamilton 4 HR game in early 2012.

I remember being pissed that I had missed the game, and consequently, one of the few interesting things to happen to the team that year.

6 hours ago, PaulFolk said:

....the Orioles lost to the Rangers, 30-3.

Here's a look back at that day, which was historic for all the wrong reasons: http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2017/08/22/ten-years-later-revisiting-orioles-30-3-loss/

Say what you will about the current team, but the Orioles have come a long way since those dark days.

You beat me to it :D. I was there.  I arrived late since I was at work and had tickets for both games.  When I pulled into the garage Daniel Cabrera had just given up a HR to make it 6-3 in the sixth.  So we were still in it at that point.  I got to the stadium and met my brother and saw it was like 12-3. Little did I know we were 18 runs from the end!  Everybody did cheer when Ramon Vazquez hit that 3-run homer to make it 30-3.  Arguably the lowest point in our 14 years of losing. Starting with that game, we went 11-28 to end the year.  Ouch.    

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

It probably wouldn't have been a big deal if it happened in 2014 or 2016. The fact that it happened in 2007, in the midst of 10 straight losing seasons (which eventually extended to 14) was the ultimate humiliation. In addition to the other 29 run game mentioned in the article, the Rangers were also involved in another legendary game of that era, the Josh Hamilton 4 HR game in early 2012.

33 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

I remember being pissed that I had missed the game, and consequently, one of the few interesting things to happen to the team that year.

o

That was true of the 2007 season.

In regard to the 2012 season (the one in which Josh Hamilton hit 4 home runs in one game against the Orioles), that season was about as interesting as could be.

In fact, the Orioles gained a measure of revenge against the homer-hitting Hamilton and his Rangers 5 months later by defeating them in that year's American League WildCard game on their home-field in Arlington. In the process, Joe Saunders, Brian Matusz, and Jimmy Johnson induced Hamilton into going 0-for-4 with 2 Strikeouts.

o

14 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

In fact, the Orioles gained a measure of revenge against the homer-hitting Hamilton and his Rangers 5 months later by defeating them in that year's American League WildCard game on their home-field in Arlington. In the process, Joe Saunders, Brian Matusz, and Jimmy Johnson induced Hamilton into going 0-for-4 with 2 Strikeouts.

o

I was at that game!  The place started to empty out after the 7th inning.  The O's didn't lose a game that season when leading after 7 innings, IIRC.

51 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

That was true of the 2007 season.

In regard to the 2012 season (the one in which Josh Hamilton hit 4 home runs in one game against the Orioles), that season was about as interesting as could be.

o

...for their first playoff win in 14 years! Saunders beating the Rangers ace, Yu Darvish, with the key out in the game being Matusz striking out Hamilton to end the 8th inning! 

I was at that debacle.    It was a twi-night doubleheader, and by the time I arrived the O's were losing 5-3.    I saw virtually the entire onslaught.    

Many people forget that the game was the first game of a doubleheader.   The first game didn't end until close to 9 pm, but I decided to stay, on the theory that if they won game 2, it would wipe away a lot of the sour taste of the lopsided defeat.    It looked like that decision might pay off when the O's mounted a rally in the bottom of the 7th to take the lead, but Jim Hoey blew the lead in the top of the 8th and the O's lost that game too.

To make matters worse, I got home at like 1:30 in the morning and had to be up at 4:30 to go catch a flight to -- wait for it -- Dallas.   I had meetings in our office there that day and got all manner of grief from the many Rangers fans who were aware of my devotion to the Orioles.

Not a good day.

Archived