The Boston Massacre, 2017

OFFNY

o

RUNS: ))lllllllllllllllllllllllll)) ORIOLES )l)) 25 )))).l.ll)))))))) RED SOX ))) 4

HITS: ))lllllllllllllllllllllllllll) ORIOLES ))l) 36 ))))lll)...)))))) RED SOX ))) 18

BATTING AVG: )l)ll))) ORIOLES ))) .308 )))))l))))))) RED SOX ))) .186 

ON-BASE %: ))llllllllllll) ORIOLES )ll) .331  .l)))))))))) RED SOX ))) .286  

TOTAL BASES: lllllllllll ORIOLES llllll 55  )))))llll.l))))) RED SOX ))) 25  

TEAM ERA: ))lllll.llllllllll) ORIOLES llllll 1.00  ))))))ll)))) RED SOX ))) 6.00  

o

Well, this game made the awful I-87 traffic bearable through New York state and made the first half of my 7 hour and 50 minute drive home go by quickly.   I was lucky to be able to get a Red Sox station from Conn. on the radio.   By the time the 9th inning came and I was down on the NJ turnpike, I started losing the station, had to barely hear it through bad static.

We all knew that the two runs in the top of the first would be enough, right?   9_9

Boston announcers weren't bad.   They hated the called strike 3 that Miley got to end an inning early in the game, they pointed out about 5 pitches that Fister had called balls that they said were "closer to the strike zone".    I just caught up on the game thread and it sounds like we had some bad ball/strike calls go against us too, Boston announcers never mentioned that.   But unlike some opposing announcers, the Sox guys seemed to have pretty good knowledge of the Orioles players, although they didn't seem to know about Britton's sore knee, and compared not using him in the 9th to the playoff game situation last year.

Interesting stat:  a whopping 42 of MIley's league leading 77 walks have come with two outs.   Odd.

So we win the season series from Boston for the 5th time in 6 years.   And we are 69-48 against them since the last 10 days of the 2011 season.    Love it!

23 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Well, this game made the awful I-87 traffic bearable through New York state and made the first half of my 7 hour and 50 minute drive home go by quickly.   I was lucky to be able to get a Red Sox station from Conn. on the radio.   By the time the 9th inning came and I was down on the NJ turnpike, I started losing the station, had to barely hear it through bad static.

We all knew that the two runs in the top of the first would be enough, right?   9_9

Boston announcers weren't bad.   They hated the called strike 3 that Miley got to end an inning early in the game, they pointed out about 5 pitches that Fister had called balls that they said were "closer to the strike zone".    I just caught up on the game thread and it sounds like we had some bad ball/strike calls go against us too, Boston announcers never mentioned that.   But unlike some opposing announcers, the Sox guys seemed to have pretty good knowledge of the Orioles players, although they didn't seem to know about Britton's sore knee, and compared not using him in the 9th to the playoff game situation last year.

Interesting stat:  a whopping 42 of MIley's league leading 77 walks have come with two outs.   Odd.

So we win the season series from Boston for the 5th time in 6 years.   And we are 69-48 against them since the last 10 days of the 2011 season.    Love it!

Have no idea what the Sox radio announcers were talking about regarding Fister not getting calls. From Beckham's first at bat to lead off the game, Fister was getting the outside high strike. It wasn't a strike, but the ump was consistently mediocre for both teams.

There was an at bat, where Machado started to swing but stopped, was hit by the pitch, only to have the home plate ump say his intent was to swing the whole way through. That was a real bad call. Buck came out and argued but the call stayed the same.

16 minutes ago, O's are Legends said:

Have no idea what the Sox radio announcers were talking about regarding Fister not getting calls. From Beckham's first at bat to lead off the game, Fister was getting the outside high strike. It wasn't a strike, but the ump was consistently mediocre for both teams.

There was an at bat, where Machado started to swing but stopped, was hit by the pitch, only to have the home plate ump say his intent was to swing the whole way through. That was a real bad call. Buck came out and argued but the call stayed the same.

They didn't say Fister didn't get calls.   They just fixated on the one strike 3 that Miley got to end an early inning with men on base that they said was WAY outside.   And every time Fister threw a pitch that was outside, they would point out that it wasn't as far outside as the strike Miley got.   They didn't say the Fister pitches were strikes, just that they were closer to being strikes than the one pitch Miley got a strike call on.  They were fixated on that for several innings afterwards

On the Machado play they felt Manny swung.  But they were sympathetic to Buck for arguing, and to the umps, saying that is one of the most difficult decisions for an ump to make (player hit by pitch but was swinging so technically didn't make effort to get out of the way).

Brilliantly titled thread. I was already committed to seeing The Tides in Durham so I had to pull myself away from the TV in the 6th. Heard the rest on the At Bat app's O's radio feed on the way there at at the Bulls' park. Great win in Boston. Lots of O's gear at the Tides game. The North Carolina O's fans seem to represent when The Tides come to town. Had a few gladhand comments from other ecstatic Birdland fans regarding the sweep while waiting for concessions.

Got a lot of pics today. Several of Hardy from his rehab work. He played SS Saturday and was DH Sunday. Had forgotten Rickard had been sent down. Had been away from O's news the last week due to general busy goings on. Got dozens more shots here. https://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffhoo/sets/72157685344017751/with/36051467173/

DSCN6966

The call that the Sox announcers despised was, in fact, a pretty bad call.     Overall, Thorne mentioned at the outset of the broadcast that the ump was a pitcher's ump, but I though he called a pretty tight strike zone most of the game and was pretty consistent.   

8 hours ago, SteveA said:

Maybe once he has two outs he is more willing to pitch around guys to get a more favorable matchup?

19 hours ago, O's are Legends said:

Another important stat: 105,000.

The number of Red Sox fans crying in their chowder at Fenway Park from the 3-game set.

o

I think that it helped the Orioles fans that were at Fenway Park in person, because there wouldn't have been much that the Red Sox fans could say to tease them about.

I'm not sure that Red Sox fans are/were crying overall, though. They are still in 1st place, and they have made it to (and won) a World Series as recently as 2013. Still, it was really nice to see the Orioles pull off something that was mildly reminiscent of the Yankees' 4-game Boston Massacre from September of 1978.

o

On 8/27/2017 at 8:09 PM, OFFNY said:

o

RUNS: ))lllllllllllllllllllllllll)) ORIOLES )l)) 25 )))).l.ll)))))))) RED SOX ))) 4

HITS: ))lllllllllllllllllllllllllll) ORIOLES ))l) 36 ))))lll)...)))))) RED SOX ))) 18

BATTING AVG: )l)ll))) ORIOLES ))) .308 )))))l))))))) RED SOX ))) .186 

ON-BASE %: ))llllllllllll) ORIOLES )ll) .331  .l)))))))))) RED SOX ))) .286  

TOTAL BASES: lllllllllll ORIOLES llllll 55  )))))llll.l))))) RED SOX ))) 25  

TEAM ERA: ))lllll.llllllllll) ORIOLES llllll 1.00  ))))))ll)))) RED SOX ))) 6.00  

o

o

Followed by the thrashing of Seattle.

o

Archived