Have the O's figured out how to make Miley a winner?

wildcard

His August stats are:    3-1,   2.60 ERA,   5 starts,  27.2 IP,  24 H,  .238 avg,    26 SO,  16 BB, 1.45 WHIP.     

WHIP  and walks  look high but the rest of the numbers look good.

Dempsey says the curve is the key.   I think not trying to make him go 6 innings every start helps.

If he can do this through the rest of the season do the O's pick up his 12m option?

Why would Miley become a FA and then resign with the O's?   Do you think he would resign to play in Camden Yard when he could probably get the same money to play is a larger park?

And if  he pitches well over the next 5 weeks his numbers will get better.   Then maybe he can get a multi year deal.  The O's probably only would want him for one year with Harvey coming in 2019.

3 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

He still leads the league in walks by an uncomfortable margin and is at least right up there in most pitches per inning.  I would pass on trying to keep Miley - even at 6 million.  

The question is has he figured out how to pitch in the AL East.  Is what he does in August and September show the kind of performance he can  offer.

Just now, wildcard said:

The question is has he figured out how to pitch in the AL East.  Is what he does in August and September show the kind of performance he can  offer.

He's pitched in the AL for several years, so he's just now figured out how to pitch in the AL East?  It's possible, but it doesn't seem likely to me.  Players and teams make adjustments and re-adjustments all the time, and what works now might not work in another month.  So, I think he is more likely what he has been for the year - not just his last few appearances.    

Yesterday's game could have easily been lost trotting him out there to even start the 6th (with a pitch count approaching 100).  At least he was pulled after one batter.  

Please, please do not keep this guy for another year at 12 mil!  With all those expiring contracts, lets try someone new in the lefty / slop / 5th starter role.

30 minutes ago, wildcard said:

In my view, most pitchers have streaks where they are pitching better or worse for a while.    Just because they're doing well temporarily doesn't mean they've figured out something profound.    Miley is a mediocre back-end starter.    He's not worth $12 mm, but the O's might keep him if they want a guy who only has a one-year commitment.   

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

In my view, most pitchers have streaks where they are pitching better or worse for a while.    Just because they're doing well temporarily doesn't mean they've figured out something profound.    Miley is a mediocre back-end starter.    He's not worth $12 mm, but the O's might keep him if they want a guy who only has a one-year commitment.   

What is a starter that is 11-11,  4.59 ERA,  32 starts, 164 IP worth to the O's.  That is  what Miley will be if he keeps pitching as well as he has for the last month.     Can the O's pick up a better starter off the FA market for 12m?   They may only need him for another year with Harvey  possibly ready for 2019.    

In the past Dan has had to pay 50m for 4 years to get a mediocre Jimenez from Free Agency and it cost him a first round draft choice to boot.  The O's signed FA Gallardo 2/22m but traded him after paying him 1/11m.  He was not a good starter for them.   If Dan trades he has to give up someone of value from the minors.    its hard to find starters when your home park is known for giving up cheap homers. 

Bundy, Gausman and Castro can probably go deep in games.  Tillman may or may not be able to strengthen his arm this off season and return to the form he had in his good years.  But we know Tillman will give it his best shot and he lives in Sarasota right next to the O's rehab facilities.  Miley may only be a 5 inning pitcher but he will start 32 games most years.   

I am not saying Miley will have another month like August but  if he does I am wondering  whether the O's see him as a fit for the rotation for another year.

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

His August stats are:    3-1,   2.60 ERA,   5 starts,  27.2 IP,  24 H,  .238 avg,    26 SO,  16 BB, 1.45 WHIP.     

WHIP  and walks  look high but the rest of the numbers look good.

Dempsey says the curve is the key.   I think not trying to make him go 6 innings every start helps.

If he can do this through the rest of the season do the O's pick up his 12m option?

No no no no no no!

Archived