What Trades Will the Orioles Make?

weams

2 hours ago, pocketRIPKENS said:

Lets start by throwing out the Verlander and Samarjda talk. Verlander isn't coming here. For one, his girl hates Camden- if you remember everyone taking selfies with her in background. She watched entire game with a shield up. Secondly, Orioles aren't covering the 65+ million owned on rest of that back loaded 7 yr/180M deal (currently midway thru 5th year). Even if Tigers softened stance on financial cash help in the deal, I still think it would cost too much- AND he has a no trade clause, and would likely be a punk anyway. VERLANDER IS OUT!!!! Having said all that, he's pitching well, his arm would serve us well.

Its simple with Samardja, he would GET ROCKED IN AL EAST! ROCKED!!!! Don't want him.

That brings us to one of my favorite low radar Orioles of all time, the gritty, Miguel Gonzalez. Put aside the fact he is lights out in last 4 starts, this guy is a gamer. Always has been. His walks are down and has always relied on contact, but he has also been making guys miss at one of his highest rates all year. He loves a stellar defense behind him, that is why he is a perfect fit here with Baltimore, once again. This guy actually cares about winning games, you can see it in every AB and every pitch he throws. I would send him out 1000% over the likes of Tillman and Ubaldo. I can't stand to watch the slumpy, falling off mound lazy ass Tillman pitch another game. Guy has NO HEART. Miguel will bolster this rotation and give us gutsy starts- especially against the likes of New York Yankees, who he absolutely owns. GO GET HIM NOW!!!!

I thought she liked us. She seemed nice enough.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

One and three are the same.

Of course there are outliers in any group of significant size.  I don't think it is dishonest at all to say things like "People don't think man and dinosaurs lived at the same time." even though I am well aware that some folks earnestly believe they do.

The truth is the National experts, for whatever their opinion is worth, have come around on him catching and if the O's didn't think he could stick they would have traded or moved him by now. 

The only place I am hearing folks who adamantly believe he won't stick at catcher is here.

There are some smart people here, including yourself. Care to tell me how he can stick at catching in the ML with Buck as his manager and the lack of arm strength/accuracy he's shown so far? The kid couldn't throw the ball back to the pitcher consistently in ST this year. I saw that with my own eyes.

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The problem with Gonzo is that he's another guy that's better on extra rest.  The 6 man rotation has been working great, but if you're going to go out and get a guy, that means they are making less starts.  Less impact.  Our the 4 starts Gonzo would make be that much better than Ubaldo/Tillman.  I think so, but enough for a trade?

My prediction is Gonzo and Bourn.  We need a speedy LH OF for late in the game after Smith comes out.  We get too RH.  

Better than Tillman, definitely.

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

There are some smart people here, including yourself. Care to tell me how he can stick at catching in the ML with Buck as his manager and the lack of arm strength/accuracy he's shown so far? The kid couldn't throw the ball back to the pitcher consistently in ST this year. I saw that with my own eyes.

First off Buck has a boss and Buck is only under contract for one more year.

Secondly much has been made of improved numbers he has throwing from the begining of the season until now.

Sisco would not be the worst throwing catcher in the league if he got promoted tomorrow.

And hey!  Thanks for calling me smart.  :D

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'd like the move, but would DD think he's that much of an improvement over what we have for 5 starts?   If we had a 2 game lead in the WC, you could make an argument to get Verlander.  Now it's just too risky.  I see DD doing something though.  

If DD goes for Gonzo, does this mean that DD has to admit having made a mistake earlier by cutting him without having received anything? Would DD' s ego stand for that?

I always have been a huge Gonzo fan. I would love to see him back.

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

From what I have read on the OH, the Orioles have fixed all that over the past two months.9_9

23 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I wouldn't mind having Miggy back on the team. But I don't think DD will do anything.

And if DD gives away anything of absolutely any substance people will lose their minds. I like the guy and would rather him start down the stretch than Ubaldo, but I doubt he's worth an asking price beyond that of maybe a low-level reliever. 

1 minute ago, DFA_JR said:

And if DD gives away anything of absolutely any substance people will lose their minds. I like the guy and would rather him start down the stretch than Ubaldo, but I doubt he's worth an asking price beyond that of maybe a low-level reliever. 

Doesn't even have to be anything of substance.  I lost my mind when he gave up a glove first catcher for Pearce.

I was also right since Pearce gave the O's nothing last year.

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

Neither you nor I know if he can "stick" at catcher. But we both know he will get a shot. Here and probably elsewhere.  He's a catcher for the foreseeable future. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

First off Buck has a boss and Buck is only under contract for one more year.

Secondly much has been made of improved numbers he has throwing from the begining of the season until now.

Sisco would not be the worst throwing catcher in the league if he got promoted tomorrow.

And hey!  Thanks for calling me smart.  :D

This has me curious. Who, in your opinion, would be the worse throwing catchers than Sisco?

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

Is Zach Davies available?

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hader would be a great addition to the bullpen.

I think we need to stop constantly revisiting these old trades in threads that are about current/future events.    I hated the Davies trade, but that's got nothing to do with whether we will or should make any trades now.   

20 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

The difference being Surhoff played 700+ games at Catcher. I think Werth played none.

Also, maybe Sisco will hit for power at some point. But he will never be a base stealer. Players don't transform into basestealers at the MLB level ever.

Very well - I bow to you when it comes to lazy choices.  That's your niche.  

Archived