It's Time to Play the Youngins

sportsfan8703

With 11 games left I want to see,

Hays start every game in RF. 

Sisco catch 5 and DH in a few more. 

Tanner Scott do his 3 inning start thing twice. 

.500 doesn't mean anything. We're not getting there anyway. Look how much excitement Hays has brought to the team. Buck's vets can cry (Trumbo), but a .700 OPS speaks for itself. 

Hays and Sisco can get 50 MLB AB's. That needs to happen for 2018. Let's be real, they are probably better than Trumbo and Smith at this point. I like Pedro, but why the heck is he getting AB's over Sisco? Sisco out performed him in AAA and earned these AB's at DH. 

These guys aren't chopped liver, they're three 22-23 yr olds, that are our top prospects. Out with the old. Look where they got us. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

.500 doesn't mean anything. We're not getting there anyway. Look how much excitement Hays has brought to the team. Buck's vets can cry (Trumbo), but a .700 OPS speaks for itself. 

Hays and Sisco can get 50 MLB AB's. That needs to happen for 2018. Let's be real, they are probably better than Trumbo and Smith at this point. I like Pedro, but why the heck is he getting AB's over Sisco? Sisco out performed him in AAA and earned these AB's at DH. 

These guys aren't chopped liver, they're three 22-23 yr olds, that are our top prospects. Out with the old. Look where they got us. 

I think you need to get Santander ABs more than Sisco and even Hays.  Hays has had a full season, as has Sisco.  Santander has 71 ABs total.  I know he's going to the AFL, but still.  I'd like to see how Scott looks now, he didn't have the usual life on his fastball late in the season (still had the velocity), possibly due to blister issues he was having.

Once Boston is over he can mix some of these guys in. Hardy should start on Sunday and I would start Tillman at home as well.  

Would have to think at this point Hays plays most nights rest of way. Buck can rotate some vets out of lineup. 

Think he is playing Pedro to reward him for sticking it out at AAA.  

There's a lot that goes into these decisions.    For example, you've  got Trumbo for 2 more years, and don't want to completely alienate him by benching him for 2 weeks.     You're trying to reward Alvarez for sticking in the minors and give him a chance to show he can help a major league club next year.    You're trying to let guys who will be free agents pad their numbers.    And, you're trying to get a good look at the call-ups.    In a vacuum it would be nice to play the kids every day, but in reality there will be a balancing act.   

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There's a lot that goes into these decisions.    For example, you've  got Trumbo for 2 more years, and don't want to completely alienate him by benching him for 2 weeks.     You're trying to reward Alvarez for sticking in the minors and give him a chance to show he can help a major league club next year.    You're trying to let guys who will be free agents pad their numbers.    And, you're trying to get a good look at the call-ups.    In a vacuum it would be nice to play the kids every day, but in reality there will be a balancing act.   

In my mind, Trumbo can go pound sand. He should go into this offseason angry.  He followed up a career year with the worst season of his career.  I say bench him the rest of the way as well.  He's a pro and I get that, but he can't expect to stink up the place and still have Buck write his name in the lineup.  I think he needs to feel a little competition. 

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'm sure that's true, and probably amplified by Buck's seeming loyalty to the vets.  However, these vets were once youngins as well, and had the chance in a past September to get their feet wet at the expense of the existing vets at the time.  Time to give back.  I agree with phillyOs -- playing Santander is key, since he has to be on the major league roster to start the season to satisfy Rule 5 requirements.

1 hour ago, beantownrefugee said:

I'm sure that's true, and probably amplified by Buck's seeming loyalty to the vets.  However, these vets were once youngins as well, and had the chance in a past September to get their feet wet at the expense of the existing vets at the time.  Time to give back.  I agree with phillyOs -- playing Santander is key, since he has to be on the major league roster to start the season to satisfy Rule 5 requirements.

When Buck started with the team, he seemed very willing to play all the young guys to see what he had.  After a couple of years, it seems like he had picked his men.  

1 hour ago, Pheasants said:

When Buck started with the team, he seemed very willing to play all the young guys to see what he had.  After a couple of years, it seems like he had picked his men.  

Some of these men helped him win a lot of games the last 5 years and are under contract for more years. 

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I agree 100%. 

10 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Once Boston is over he can mix some of these guys in. Hardy should start on Sunday and I would start Tillman at home as well.  

Would have to think at this point Hays plays most nights rest of way. Buck can rotate some vets out of lineup. 

Think he is playing Pedro to reward him for sticking it out at AAA.  

Pedro's reward is that he's collecting an MLB paycheck right now. Trumbo has nothing to be upset about. It's not like he's a FA. We paid him a lot to do a little this year. 

We didn't make the playoffs. That means Buck needs to find out who are nuggets. 10 games playing will help Sisco at least know where he stands in the offseason. Trumbo can eat a pie. 

I honestly think there is 1 of 2 reasons why Sisco hasn't started even 1 game:

1: Buck doesn't trust his defense. Buck likes players that can defend. No, Sisco isn't a "Trumbo behind the plate," but there were enough knocks that he might only have him for his bat.

2. The Orioles might be open to a trade. What could the Orioles get for Sisco and Machado? Or Sisco as the main item while throwing in someone they want to get rid of, for a top prize (a starter and a prospect or two?)

Hays has been starting, even with a crowded outfield. 

3 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I honestly think there is 1 of 2 reasons why Sisco hasn't started even 1 game:

1: Buck doesn't trust his defense. Buck likes players that can defend. No, Sisco isn't a "Trumbo behind the plate," but there were enough knocks that he might only have him for his bat.

2. The Orioles might be open to a trade. What could the Orioles get for Sisco and Machado? Or Sisco as the main item while throwing in someone they want to get rid of, for a top prize (a starter and a prospect or two?)

Hays has been starting, even with a crowded outfield. 

He might not like Sisco's pop times but he has looked pretty good receiving the ball, blocking pitches back there to me. Better than Castillo.

edit: obviously small sample size, but it matches scouting reports from Norfolk. I was surprised by how comfortable he's looked in his few opportunities.

4 minutes ago, cimota said:

I would sit Davis and Trumbo the rest of the year,. If they get angry who cares?   Buck doesn't  hold these guys accountable for their poor performance.  They should have been sitting for months.

This will never happen. but at least start platooning them.  There are enough other bats that can fill in and need their MLB reps.  

6 hours ago, cimota said:

I would sit Davis and Trumbo the rest of the year,. If they get angry who cares?   Buck doesn't  hold these guys accountable for their poor performance.  They should have been sitting for months.

It's ok to sit Smith but not ok to sit Trumbo and his .697 OPS. Let Sisco at least get some AB's. We're playing Hays based off of stats in A+ and AA ball. Well Sisco won batting titles at those levels. Let the guy DH.  

I think this is showing that Sisco won't be in consideration at C next year with Joseph, if Castillo opts out. 

Archived