Orioles Have No Plans of Shopping Machado

wildbillhiccup

According to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports, the Orioles have "no intention" of shopping Manny Machado.

But it also seems highly doubtful that the O's will be able to lock up the 25-year-old third baseman to a contract extension with free agency looming after the 2018 season. Heyman hears club ownership was "within $8 million or $9 million" of making it happen a few years back. Machado has been on fire in the second half of 2017 and is up to 32 home runs and 92 RBI through 147 total games this year. He's also played his usual brand of excellent defense.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

According to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports, the Orioles have "no intention" of shopping Manny Machado.

But it also seems highly doubtful that the O's will be able to lock up the 25-year-old third baseman to a contract extension with free agency looming after the 2018 season. Heyman hears club ownership was "within $8 million or $9 million" of making it happen a few years back. Machado has been on fire in the second half of 2017 and is up to 32 home runs and 92 RBI through 147 total games this year. He's also played his usual brand of excellent defense.

Well, great.

Link....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fanragsports.com/heyman-orioles-have-no-intention-of-shopping-manny-machado/amp/

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't see the O's making a move as bold as trading Hays.

Just as well since I don't think it would end well.

Unless there's a break with the past, the Orioles will not trade anyone who they think can help the team win now. I think Hayes has vaulted into that territory. If they do trade, or try to trade, young talent for a starter, it will be someone who's a couple of years away from the big club.

They either have to resign Manny or trade him. Keeping him and letting him walk is not (and should not) be an option. The team's goal should be to determine if resigning is doable before the winter meetings. If it's not then they should put the word out that he's available and field offers. Someone will step up and overwhelm them. It's just a matter of who / when. 

https://www.fanragsports.com/heyman-orioles-have-no-intention-of-shopping-manny-machado/

The Orioles are said by sources to have come “within $8 million or $9 million” of locking him up a couple years back, though one person familiar with those talks said the offer was for “well below $100 million,” and that person suggested he didn’t believe the sides were especially close to a deal. However, it seems Machado’s side might have made some sort of counteroffer to stay, or at least provided parameters, since sources are suggesting the gap ($8 million to $9 million) existed.

Word is that Angelos, especially conservative when it comes to medical records (they’ve rejected several potential acquisitions in the past), was leery about Machado’s history of knee injuries at the time. Machado has shown he’s plenty healthy since, of course.

46 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

They either have to resign Manny or trade him. Keeping him and letting him walk is not (and should not) be an option. The team's goal should be to determine if resigning is doable before the winter meetings. If it's not then they should put the word out that he's available and field offers. Someone will step up and overwhelm them. It's just a matter of who / when. 

This. I think the off seasons first order of business is to work out a long term contract with Manny. If they can't get it done, he has to be shopped. I seriously doubt that the Orioles front office will do this, so I expect Manny to play out the season next year on a losing Orioles team and then walk. But I agree that the only smart thing to do is sign him or trade him. If he is traded, then I think the Orioes should go into a full rebuild mode and look into the possibility of trading off Jones, Britton, Brach, etc. Even pay way down on Trumbo's contract and move him too. Try to trade Davis for another really bad contract somewhere. Hope like heck that Castillo moves on.

I refuse to believe that an extra $8-9M was a "bridge too far" on a multi-year deal for Machado, knee injury or not.  As to the rest of his "scoop," why would the Orioles tip their hand about trading Machado, especially now?  

Sorry Heyman, not renting any of this one, let alone buying it.

2 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

I refuse to believe that an extra $8-9M was a "bridge too far" on a multi-year deal for Machado, knee injury or not.  As to the rest of his "scoop," why would the Orioles tip their hand about trading Machado, especially now?  

Sorry Heyman, not renting any of this one, let alone buying it.

I agree.  Loosely sourced and specifics-free.

They should try to sign him in the offseason for sure.  Throw around $300M out as an offer.

At the same time, there's a ton of money coming off the books.  I think they need to be in on a TOR pitcher since it seems like they're going to give it a shot again next year.

If he doesn't sign then they have to make a take it or leave it offer before the deadline and either sign him or trade him then.

5 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I thought that was a very stupid narrative by Heyman. The Orioles were $9 million apart is laughable. That's chump change these days. Few weeks ago, Cafardo speculated the Orioles would make a run at Machado this winter and if that fails they would unload him with the Mets, Marlins and Phils likely suitors.

I find this hard to believe too, the front office really blew it if they didn't sign a deal over what would be one year of Wade Miley.

If the Dodgers fail to win the world series, I bet you can get them to make an aggressive offer for Manny.  Turner is having a nice year, but he isn't likely to replicate it and Manny is likely to have a strong contract season in 2018.    

My preference would be to sign Manny long term.   

Archived