Dan Duquette: "I still think that Gausman can be an elite pitcher"

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I alternate between extreme optimism and extreme pessimism with Gausman.     I think his lack of a good breaking ball is almost irrelevant when his command of his fastball and change-up is good, but when his command of those is a little off, he becomes defenseless.    He pitched way too many stinkers this year, instead of keeping the damage under control and giving the team some chance to win.    But there's always hope.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I alternate between extreme optimism and extreme pessimism with Gausman.     I think his lack of a good breaking ball is almost irrelevant when his command of his fastball and change-up is good, but when his command of those is a little off, he becomes defenseless.    He pitched way too many stinkers this year, instead of keeping the damage under control and giving the team some chance to win.    But there's always hope.

I'm with you.  The extreme optimism and extreme pessimism make him, quite possibly, the most frustrating pitcher I've ever watched.  The talent is so clearly there, and we see many flashes.  A breaking ball that he can throw for strikes consistently would mitigate a lot of the implosions he has I think, as it would keep hitters somewhat off balance when he isn't locating the fastball.  As it is now, they sit dead red on days when he can't hit the corners, and we see him get nailed.  And of course there's a mental aspect to the inconsistency too.  But I think if he's going to take that next step, he's gotta get a breaking ball.

How many dominant starters only feature two real pitches?  Honest question.

I could see Kevin having an elite year...where everything falls exactly in the right place, where he maintains his command more consistently...and he could have a Rick Porcello kind of year...and then fall off again and again.   It is increasingly impossible for me to see him becoming a Verlander, Sale, Kluber, Kershaw type of pitcher ever.  

51 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I could see Kevin having an elite year...where everything falls exactly in the right place, where he maintains his command more consistently...and he could have a Rick Porcello kind of year...and then fall off again and again.   It is increasingly impossible for me to see him becoming a Verlander, Sale, Kluber, Kershaw type of pitcher ever.  

I'll take that at this point.

1 hour ago, thezeroes said:

Chris Sale

Yea, pretty sure that's not true.

4 minutes ago, esmd said:

He needs to come out of he gate pitching well.  And this two pitch stuff just isn't true.  He's got a splitter in addition to the FB and change.  I've watched him throw it on tv numerous times.

I've also seen a heck of a slider. But not consistent. 

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

He'll never be as good as one of those. 

Archived