Right Now, I Hate Baseball.

ORIOLE33

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The only way I see it is if the Yanks try and lowball him.

That's possible I suppose. He's had success managing the Yankees. I don't see him being that successful with another team if that's the way he chooses to go. Is he a good manager or is it because of the talent the Yankees have on the team? 

3 hours ago, weams said:

I disagree. I think that you will be surprised how poorly they perform next season under their new manager while staying under the cap. 

Yeah, Girardi's not going anywhere and you underestimate their pipeline talent as well as their ability add a prized free agent or two which they will almost certainly do.  A lot of money coming off the books.  Sabathia and I believe they were still paying ARod this season.  

They will have money to spend and I'm not sure what cap you speak of. Luxury tax threshold maybe?  They will have plenty of money to play around with regardless. 

29 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

That's possible I suppose. He's had success managing the Yankees. I don't see him being that successful with another team if that's the way he chooses to go. Is he a good manager or is it because of the talent the Yankees have on the team? 

Didn't he win MOY with the Marlins?

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

Yeah, Girardi's not going anywhere and you underestimate their pipeline talent as well as their ability add a prized free agent or two which they will almost certainly do.  A lot of money coming off the books.  Sabathia and I believe they were still paying ARod this season.  

They will have money to spend and I'm not sure what cap you speak of. Luxury tax threshold maybe?  They will have plenty of money to play around with regardless. 

I do mean Lux threshold and the Yankees will stay under it. 

On 10/22/2017 at 12:42 PM, ChuckS said:

Yeah, Girardi's not going anywhere and you underestimate their pipeline talent as well as their ability add a prized free agent or two which they will almost certainly do.  A lot of money coming off the books.  Sabathia and I believe they were still paying Alex Rodriguez this season.  

They will have money to spend, and I'm not sure what cap you speak of. Luxury tax threshold maybe?  They will have plenty of money to play around with regardless. 

o

The Yankees ALWAYS have money to spend.

There may be times when they are mildly inconvenienced by having to continue to spend money on players that either busted or did not live up to the expectations that they had of them when they acquired them and/or of having to deal with the possibility of being hit with a luxury tax for having an excessive payroll, but a lack of funds is never a bonafide, fundamental concern of theirs. For all intents and purposes, their GM has a blank check to operate with, year in and year out. 

o

I don't care how stacked the Yankees are....either at the major league or minor league levels.  They have been above .500 for 25 straight years and the sports media acts like it has been some sort of awful stretch from which they have risen to head towards greatness again.  So maybe next year, they will be MORE above .500 than normal.  Big deal.  All I know is there is a World Series starting Tuesday and they aren't in it.  I'll worry about them next year in October.  For now, they are blissfully gone from my television and I can watch two teams that have given me basically no sports grief in my life compete for a title.  This is going to be a great series.  

On 10/20/2017 at 3:10 PM, OFFNY said:

o

In 1994, the Houston Rockets played the New York Knicks in that season's NBA Finals.

The Knicks were up 3 games to 2 when the series headed back to Houston for Game Six.

The Knicks were down by two points in the final seconds of the 4th quarter when Akeem Olajuwon blocked a John Starks 3-point shot attempt to preserve the narrow win for the Rockets, evening the series at 3 games apiece. 

The Rockets then went on to win Game 7, giving the franchise its first-ever World Championship. 

Here's to hoping to see something similar happen in the final 2 games of this year's ALCS between the Astros and the Yankees.

o

o

The Yankees' road woes are what eventually did them in, and stopped them short of winning the American League Pennant.

In the regular season they made hay at home (51-30), while being average on the road (40-41.)

In the postseason they dominated at home (6-0), while tanking on the road (1-6.)

Their offense scored a total of 1 run over the final 2 games of the ALCS against the Astros.

Yankees’ Failure to Score Runs on the Road is Reminiscent of how They Lost the 2001 World Series

(By Mike Lupica)

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/yankees-failure-score-runs-reminiscent-lost-01-ws-article-1.3580139

o

o

When the 2017 postseason started, I wanted the Yankees, the Red Sox, the Nationals, and the Cubs all to fall short of reaching the World Series.

I got my wish, although the Yankees made it extremely close.

Anyhow, for those who are interested, we do have a 2017 World Series thread over in the MLB section:

o

Archived