Expansion/Realignment

eddie83

15 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

MLB can't dilute the player pool any more.  It would be too detrimental on the product.

Just balance the schedule.

The quality and size of the player pool has been increasing since the last expansion due to the overseas expansion of the game so two more teams wouldn't really be much of a hit to the product quality when compared to a decade or two ago.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, ReclaimTheCrown said:

Oof....that all makes sense but that would be a horrific division for us. Three teams with plenty of resources, then us. We would struggle immensely.

Yeah I don't like that all.  How about an Orioles, Nats, Phillies and Pirates divsion.  If expansion/realignment is going to happen at least give the O's a fighting chance.  

I agree with OFFNY.  The only tweak that is needed is to expand the Division Round to a full seven games.  Everything else is great.  I love the Wild Card one game playoff.  In reality it is a play IN game.   It keeps many more teams in the hunt while at the same time puts a premium on winning division.  And to those who whine think about it this way. Back in the day these Wild Card teams wouldn't even be in the post season so they should be thankful they have a one time shot of getting in at all.

I am not a fan of realignment.   And I am not a fan of the DH either.   But I could live with both as long as they don't expand the number of teams that make it to the post season.   This year is a perfect example.  The MFY's didn't have nearly as good of a regular season as the Indians or Astros yet are on the verge of beating both of them and making it to the World Series. 

The more teams you allow into the post season the more situations where an inferior team advances.   The regular season is long for a REASON!  It is to ensure whoever makes it to the playoffs absolutely belongs to be there and has earned it. 

15 minutes ago, ExileAngelos said:

I agree with OFFNY.  The only tweak that is needed is to expand the Division Round to a full seven games.  Everything else is great.  I love the Wild Card one game playoff.  In reality it is a play IN game.   It keeps many more teams in the hunt while at the same time puts a premium on winning division.  And to those who whine think about it this way. Back in the day these Wild Card teams wouldn't even be in the post season so they should be thankful they have a one time shot of getting in at all.

I am not a fan of realignment.   And I am not a fan of the DH either.   But I could live with both as long as they don't expand the number of teams that make it to the post season.   This year is a perfect example.  The MFY's didn't have nearly as good of a regular season as the Indians or Astros yet are on the verge of beating both of them and making it to the World Series. 

The more teams you allow into the post season the more situations where an inferior team advances.   The regular season is long for a REASON!  It is to ensure whoever makes it to the playoffs absolutely belongs to be there and has earned it. 

The Yankees are a pretty strong wild card team, IMO.    Second in the league in runs scored (to Houston), second in fewest runs allowed (to Cleveland), second in run differential (to Cleveland and just ahead of Houston).   I hate to say it, but they’re a better team than their record shows (Pythagorean record of 100-62 compared to actual record of 91-71).     

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The Yankees are a pretty strong wild card team, IMO.    Second in the league in runs scored (to Houston), second in fewest runs allowed (to Cleveland), second in run differential (to Cleveland and just ahead of Houston).   I hate to say it, but they’re a better team than their record shows (Pythagorean record of 100-62 compared to actual record of 91-71).     

Ugh maybe you're right.  Not suggesting they don't belong in the post season but you get the idea.  What is depressing is the MFY's are only going to get better.

1 hour ago, ExileAngelos said:

Ugh maybe you're right.  Not suggesting they don't belong in the post season but you get the idea.  What is depressing is the MFY's are only going to get better.

Yes, it’s very worrisome.    Their farm system is pretty stacked and they’ll have a lot of payroll flexibility next year when a great free agent class becomes available.   It could be a loooooonnnngggg decade.   

9 hours ago, Phantom said:

The quality and size of the player pool has been increasing since the last expansion due to the overseas expansion of the game so two more teams wouldn't really be much of a hit to the product quality when compared to a decade or two ago.

They just don't need more teams. I enjoy the game as is. 

6 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Yeah I don't like that all.  How about an Orioles, Nats, Phillies and Pirates divsion.  If expansion/realignment is going to happen at least give the O's a fighting chance.  

Sorry but I just don't want MLB boneheads screwing up baseball. Realignment/Expansion would do that. IMO

3 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

Sorry but I just don't want MLB boneheads screwing up baseball. Realignment/Expansion would do that. IMO

I agree with you, there are enough teams already struggling to draw fans and fill out a roster.

Let Tampa relocate if there is another city that will support them.  I'm not seeing any good reason to add two new teams.  

On 10/20/2017 at 10:34 PM, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I agree with you, there are enough teams already struggling to draw fans and fill out a roster.

Let Tampa relocate if there is another city that will support them.  I'm not seeing any good reason to add two new teams.  

I'm pretty sure this has been on here before, but MLB has locked itself into waiting for the Oakland and Tampa/St. Pete situations to get resolved -- whether they will get new stadiums and, if not, whether they will move and where -- before making any expansion plans.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3589273/mlb-expansion-on-hold-until-oakland-and-tampa-bay-get-new-stadiums/

The problem for MLB is that both these situations have been festering for many years, and the movement toward getting them straightened out has been very, very slow.

At this point, it looks like Oakland will work something out. The Tampa/St. Pete situation remains way up in the air,  and I would guess that if the franchise moves Montreal looks like the most likely target, at least right now. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2017/08/23/manfred-says-tampa-bay-must-pick-up-pace-on-new-stadium/104899542/

On 10/17/2017 at 10:18 AM, mdbdotcom said:

DH Monday-Thursday. No DH Friday-Sunday.

Simple!

I can't see that happening. I hope they go to all DH but if not, I'd like to see the rule modified to this. "DH for the first 6 innings and then the DH is removed and pitchers would then be placed into the DH spot in the lineup from the 7th inning on." This way the NL fans still get their late inning BP management strategy while we AL fans don;t have to watch the 8th batter pitched around with two out and less than the bases loaded so they can pitch to an automatic out next.

39 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

T can't see that happening. I hope they go to all DH but if not, I'd like to see the rule modified to this. "DH for the first 6 innings and then the DH is removed and pitchers would then be placed into the DH spot in the lineup from the 7th inning on." This way the NL fans still get their late inning BP management strategy while we AL fans don;t have to watch the 8th batter pitched around with two out and less than the bases loaded so they can pitch to an automatic out next.

That's an interesting idea. Made me think of this ...

Eliminate the DH and add a 26th roster spot to each team, but with a catch. Before each game, a manager would have to designate one player who could only hit; could not play the field under any circumstances. So, the team's "Designated Hitter" could only be used as a pinch-hitter, but given the way bullpens are being used, having an extra bat could make the game more interesting.

No expansion. No re-alignment.  Change the playoffs.

The teams with the best records in each league go straight to the LCS.

Add two more wild cards for each league.

Hold a six team, double elimination tournament with the two remaining division leaders getting byes. 

Winner plays the team with best record in a best of seven.

Currently you see 7-11 games before the LCS.  In this format you will have 8-9 games, if my back of the napkin sketch is correct.

21 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I can't see that happening. I hope they go to all DH but if not, I'd like to see the rule modified to this. "DH for the first 6 innings and then the DH is removed and pitchers would then be placed into the DH spot in the lineup from the 7th inning on." This way the NL fans still get their late inning BP management strategy while we AL fans don;t have to watch the 8th batter pitched around with two out and less than the bases loaded so they can pitch to an automatic out next.

At first, I wasn't keen on this, but the more I think about it, this thing makes a ton of sense, so much sense, MLB would never go for it.