Buck interview on B More Opinionated podcast

wildcard

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Read again what Kendal said.   

The O's are trying to improve Sisco mechanics and footwork to overcome his arm strength problems.  

Meanwhile Wynns threw out 38% of basestealler last year.

If you haven't listened to what Buck has to said about Wynns in the podcast you should take the time to listen to it. It gives a prospective on were Buck head is on the subject.    

Thanks, I did a fine job of reading what Kendal said the first time.

I have seen comments that lead one to believe that raw arm strength is not the issue.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Thanks, I did a fine job of reading what Kendal said the first time.

I have seen comments that lead one to believe that raw arm strength is not the issue.

Kendall was his manager for a year.  He should know.  But if you have articles that say he has a strong arm I would love to read them.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Kendall was his manager for a year.  He should know.  But if you have articles that say he has a strong arm I would love to read them.

Kendall only said that arm strength generally doesn’t improve much, he didn’t say Sisco’s arm was weak.  I’m on my phone, but I’ll provide multiple articles mentioning his arm strength not being the issue later this evening.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I didn't say strong.

I've read that he has average arm strength but doesn't fully harness it.

Although he has average arm strength, his poor footwork and lack of consistent accuracy has made him a target for other teams to run on.

https://www.camdenchat.com/2014/9/24/6836837/orioles-prospect-season-review-2014-chance-sisco

"It's not arm strength necessarily," Graham said. "It's the mechanics of receiving and the release and accuracy, it's a combination

http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/what-to-expect-chance-sisco/#P4rae8oUE5UM2Fe1.97

Sisco's main issue is throwing. He has average arm strength, but it plays down because poor footwork and an inconsistent release point that result in too many throws in the dirt and off-line.
Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/what-to-expect-chance-sisco/#XpTOfP7RvA0bsZoF.99

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The Orioles website: Sisco's prospect page rates his arm as 45 which is below average.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2017?list=bal

And do you think that means pure arm strength or how that arm plays in games?

I'm guessing it is the latter.

Anyway my point was that I saw reports that say it isn't his arm strength.  You finding reports that refute that doesn't change that fact.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And do you think that means pure arm strength or how that arm plays in games?

I'm guessing it is the latter.

Anyway my point was that I saw reports that say it isn't his arm strength.  You finding reports that refute that doesn't change that fact.

I hope he has average arm strength as BA says.  But it appears the O's organization does not think so.

"That's really the only thing with him, and it's going to come along," Johnson said. "I think it's a little mental. I really do. Physically he's capable of throwing the ball. I've seen him, when he does it right, he can deliver in the mid 1.9s. He's got plenty of arm strength and he's quick . . . He's going to be fine with it."

-From his manager this year.

One scout said he think it’s average pure arm strength that plays down due to a long release.

- from an Eric Longenhagen prospect report

Can of Corn did some of the work for me.

1 minute ago, phillyOs119 said:

"That's really the only thing with him, and it's going to come along," Johnson said. "I think it's a little mental. I really do. Physically he's capable of throwing the ball. I've seen him, when he does it right, he can deliver in the mid 1.9s. He's got plenty of arm strength and he's quick . . . He's going to be fine with it."

-From his manager this year.

One scout said he think it’s average pure arm strength that plays down due to a long release.

- from an Eric Longenhagen prospect report

Sounds good.  What is going to take to make him consistent and how long do that take?

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Sounds good.  What is going to take to make him consistent and how long do that take?

He’s 22 and only started catching his senior year of high school, so reps and coaching.  

Remember Caleb Joseph was a bat only prospect at one point and was older than Sisco at the time. Not saying that he’ll make the types of improvements Joseph did, but he has all the tools to be an average catcher.  

Heck, controlling base runners isn’t the most important part of being a good defensive catcher. He could be an average defensive catcher with zero improvement throwing out runners if he can frame and block well.

19 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

He’s 22 and only started catching his senior year of high school, so reps and coaching.  

Remember Caleb Joseph was a bat only prospect at one point and was older than Sisco at the time. Not saying that he’ll make the types of improvements Joseph did, but he has all the tools to be an average catcher.  

Heck, controlling base runners isn’t the most important part of being a good defensive catcher. He could be an average defensive catcher with zero improvement throwing out runners if he can frame and block well.

We are talking opening day 2018.   Can Sisco fix his defensive problems well enough to beat out a good defensive catcher in Wynns?

Archived