If We Can't Attract the Pitching...?

Bahama O's Fan

People should realize RHPs are 75% of major league pitchers.  Add in defensive replacement innings and pinch running and you have I guy who is playing as much or more than Mancini did last season. If you want to demean that as being a “part-time player” go ahead, it’s more semantics than anything else.  If anything, I think the “everyday” players play too much and should be given a day a week off routinely, that includes even Jones, Machado, and Schoop.

Also if you are worth more WAR in less PA, that’s a good thing, not a bad thing.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

There was a time when I felt that the Orioles would not splurge for bonafide solid starting pitching in the free agent market in the MacPhail/Duquette era (from about 2008 through 2017.

Now that both Duquette and Showalter are in the final years of their contract, combined with the fact that the aging Peter Angelos is probably nearing the end of his reign as the (active) team owner, I feel the opposite about the upcoming 2018 season ........ it is likely the last chance for Duquette with this franchise, and I'm sure that Peter would like to go out on a positive note, considering the fact that he will probably be retiring very soon due to his age. I'll be very surprised if the Orioles do not sign at least one of the available free agent starting pitchers that would likely make a significant improvement in the Orioles' rotation (Cobb, Lynn, Arrieta, etc.)

I hope that Peter lives another 10-15 years, but his inclination to remain as involved as he has been with the team will probably not last much longer.

o

Grow the bats, buy the arms. We have a bunch of bats in AAA and AA that should be MLB ready in the next year. Plus our current MLB bullpen is pretty stacked, with some MILB depth behind it. 

I'd use Givens; Brach; Mancini, and the comp pick as trade bait. That should land us some SP. 

We then need the high priced guys like Oday, Britton, Davis and Trumbo to get back to their norms. Plus hope to hit on this year with Sisco, Hays, Castro, Scott. Plus guys like M.Wright and a few surprises like Harvey, Long, Liranzo, Mullins, Santander, and Stewart. 

That's what it is going to take for us to be a playoff team again. 

Archived