If We Can't Attract the Pitching...?

Bahama O's Fan

I am going into this assuming this year will be a final go for it for DD and not a rebuilding. It may not be what's best, but I believe that to be reality. If you were Dan and couldn't get some major improvement in the starting pitching through FA, how would you build the team for one more run?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I am going into this assuming this year will be a final go for it for DD and not a rebuilding. It may not be what's best, but I believe that to be reality. If you were Dan and couldn't get some major improvement in the starting pitching through FA, how would you build the team for one more run?

We are much more likely to end up where we ended up last year than have a “run” in 2018  if they do not sign significant free agent pitching talent.  

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Trade for some decent pitchers and then sign some FA hitters to make up for the guys we traded?

Sign Dyson, trade Mancini for pitching, move Jones off CF.  

Although I think if the money is right, pitchers will come to Baltimore.

4 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Same question then. Why? He's an awful part time player and an aging (33) speedster. 

Eh, he produced 2.6 bWAR and he’s considered a plus defender (+10 DRS) in CF. 

Jones, by comparison produced 2.5 bWAR (in 250 more ABs) and he’s below average (-12 DRS in CF).

11 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Same question then. Why? He's an awful part time player and an aging (33) speedster. 

Umm, he's been a more valuable overall player than Jones the last two seasons.  His age makes it likely that he'll take a short term deal (2 years).  Aging yes, but his sprint speed was faster than any player on the Orioles in 2017 and he stole 28 bases and played excellent outfield defense.

3 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Umm, he's been a more valuable overall player than Jones the last two seasons.  His age makes it likely that he'll take a short term deal (2 years).  Aging yes, but his sprint speed was faster than any player on the Orioles in 2017 and he stole 28 bases and played excellent outfield defense.

Sometimes you have to look past the #s. Dyson is awful and speed does not age well. We have much larger problems on this team then trying to get Adam Jones out of CF. 

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Sometimes you have to look past the #s. Dyson is awful and speed does not age well. We have much larger problems on this team then trying to get Adam Jones out of CF. 

Actually, Jones moving out of CF improves the defense almost immediately. They could go with a Dyson/Hays platoon and move Jones to RF.

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

How can you say someone is awful but not count the facts available to determine if said player is awful or not.  That seems like a major logical fallacy to me.  Do you know him personally and just not like the guy, I mean, I'm all for listening to your arguments as to why he'd be a bad addition, but because I think he's awful doesn't work.  Speed not aging well can be true, but Dyson hasn't shown signs of that and like I said, one of the pluses is that he's probably available for a short-term deal.

1 minute ago, phillyOs119 said:

How can you say someone is awful but not count the facts available to determine if said player is awful or not.  That seems like a major logical fallacy to me.  Do you know him personally and just not like the guy, I mean, I'm all for listening to your arguments as to why he'd be a bad addition, but because I think he's awful doesn't work.  Speed not aging well can be true, but Dyson hasn't shown signs of that and like I said, one of the pluses is that he's probably available for a short-term deal.

Dyson on the bench would be a good idea. Or call our good friend Michael Bourn. 

Archived