Rule 5 Target - Nestor Cortes - LHP

Luke-OH

I saw him pitch in ST from 3 rows back, behind home plate. The Rays AAA hitters were not tempted by his craftiness. They sat looking for his 88-9 mph fast ball and then hammered it. He is just another in a long line of Rule 5 pitchers that are thrown against the wall hoping one of them sticks. I will qualify this with, "I am not a big league scout." Saw Manny, Schoop, and Matus at Frederick and didn't think any of them were that good. I didn't quit my day job. Oh, well got one out of three right.  lol

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The bullpen as a whole as underperformed. I just don’t see how Arajuo or Cortes, are more valuable than the Norfolk shuttle. 

Arajua- looks good. Seems like he has possible 3 pitches. FB was only at 93. He is a finesse RH out the pen. 

I’d rather just go with the shuttle of Joely, Hart, Aquino, Scott, Yacabonis, Yefry, Hess, Long, etc....

The problem I see with Araujo is that he falls off the mound terribly and probably will struggle to field his position, and he doesn't hold runners well. I'm not going to judge him against the Astros in a tie game in the 7th inning when that's not a situation he should have been in in the first place.

His command is not great, but he does have some good off speed stuff. I'd like to see him be able to go two innings though because he's a middle guy for me.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

The problem I see with Araujo is that he falls off the mound terribly and probably will struggle to field his position, and he doesn't hold runners well. I'm not going to judge him against the Astros in a tie game in the 7th inning when that's not a situation he should have been in in the first place.

His command is not great, but he does have some good off speed stuff. I'd like to see him be able to go two innings though because he's a middle guy for me.

I’m not sure either of them will be on the team at the end.

For those who think the Orioles are long-shot contenders at best, isn't it then a good idea to give a full shot to the Rule 5 guys for the future? OTOH, if we are bona fide contenders, the short leash makes sense. Problem is, do we really know yet which it is?

• 5 months later...
12 minutes ago, weams said:

"It's been a roller-coaster season," he admitted. "Going to Baltimore and making my [Major League] debut was amazing. But I struggled some, so when I came back to the Yankees, the coaching staff and guys down here helped me refocus to be the pitcher I know I am. It's been a nice ride, though, and I'm clicking at the right time. Hopefully we can make a push here towards the end."

1 minute ago, Chito said:

"It's been a roller-coaster season," he admitted. "Going to Baltimore and making my [Major League] debut was amazing. But I struggled some, so when I came back to the Yankees, the coaching staff and guys down here helped me refocus to be the pitcher I know I am. It's been a nice ride, though, and I'm clicking at the right time. Hopefully we can make a push here towards the end."

That's the part I liked. 

• 8 months later...
On 9/7/2018 at 2:14 PM, Chito said:

I don't think we did him any favors last year by changing what made him successful. We turned him into a boring lefty without his usual deception and - surprise - he got smacked around. 

Archived