Rule 5 Target - Nestor Cortes - LHP

Luke-OH

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, phillyOs119 said:

#1 and #2 had already been taken. 

I listed Cortes as a target for the O’s, he’s definitely an option as a starter.

He has really poor stuff, like you know how Alex Wells gets knocked for his stuff, Wells has better stuff than Cortes.

Cortes manipulates the speeds of all his pitches. Changes his windup, pace to the plate, and arm slot from pitch to pitch.  He does the Cueto thing where sometimes he just pauses mid delivery, sometimes he steps towards first base and throws sidearm across his body. He’s extremely unorthodox and despite the mechanical craziness, he still shows near plus command.

It sounds like DD read your reviews and those of RZNJ to produce this on Roch's blog:

The Orioles’ first pick in the Rule 5 draft, left-hander Nestor Cortes, could be tossed into the rotation mix.

“Nestor Cortes is a very versatile left-handed pitcher,” Duquette said. “He’s got good breaking stuff, excellent control, very good competitor. His role model is Gio Gonzalez and he’s from South Florida, a very competitive environment. He did a nice job with the Yankees. He’s advanced. He pitched well at Double-A, he’s pitched well at Triple-A and we think he may be able to compete as a spot starter with the big league club

“This is a guy who has very good pitching instincts. He knows how to change speeds, he knows how to locate his pitches, he knows how to field his position and combat the running game. This kid has a lot of skills, very unique skills. Look at his record of success at every step of the way.

“The critics will say he doesn’t throw hard and that’s true. He is not a hard thrower. But he can do a lot of other things that count in getting the hitters out.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/12/duquette-not-expecting-immediate-resolution-to-machado-talks.html

36 minutes ago, bobmc said:

It sounds like DD read your reviews and those of RZNJ to produce this on Roch's blog:

The Orioles’ first pick in the Rule 5 draft, left-hander Nestor Cortes, could be tossed into the rotation mix.

“Nestor Cortes is a very versatile left-handed pitcher,” Duquette said. “He’s got good breaking stuff, excellent control, very good competitor. His role model is Gio Gonzalez and he’s from South Florida, a very competitive environment. He did a nice job with the Yankees. He’s advanced. He pitched well at Double-A, he’s pitched well at Triple-A and we think he may be able to compete as a spot starter with the big league club

“This is a guy who has very good pitching instincts. He knows how to change speeds, he knows how to locate his pitches, he knows how to field his position and combat the running game. This kid has a lot of skills, very unique skills. Look at his record of success at every step of the way.

“The critics will say he doesn’t throw hard and that’s true. He is not a hard thrower. But he can do a lot of other things that count in getting the hitters out.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/12/duquette-not-expecting-immediate-resolution-to-machado-talks.html

I wish he had read my Brallan Perez scouting report :(

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Depends on who the Orioles acquire.   If the 5th spot is open, he'll compete with the usual suspects and Castro.   He has a fallback as being a long man in the pen.  I think there's a good chance he sticks but probably as a long man.

Are you "tabling" your opinion on Mesa?

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

My Spanish is rusty.    When Joe Table was first mentioned, I was wondering who the heck it was.

Apparently his curve looks like it falls ......  anyway a "banner day" for the O's with all of the selections, the Manny speculation and actually losing some minor leaguers.  DD keeps trying with one hand tied!

3 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

I listed Cortes as a target for the O’s, he’s definitely an option as a starter.

He has really poor stuff, like you know how Alex Wells gets knocked for his stuff, Wells has better stuff than Cortes.

Cortes manipulates the speeds of all his pitches. Changes his windup, pace to the plate, and arm slot from pitch to pitch.  He does the Cueto thing where sometimes he just pauses mid delivery, sometimes he steps towards first base and throws sidearm across his body. He’s extremely unorthodox and despite the mechanical craziness, he still shows near plus command.

As I said when you first reviewed him, he should be very entertaining to watch.    Less talented, but kind’ve a modern day Luis Tiant with all his different deliveries and speeds.   I love watching guys like this.   

3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Poor Stuff?

Granted, his fastball is just 88-92, but from I was reading on the internet, he has at least 3 pitches that he can throw for strikes, who has very good control of his ball and is a pitcher that understands how to pitch.

Sounds a bit like a left handed Mussina.

More like a LH O.Despaigne. 

15 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

More like a LH O.Despaigne. 

More control/command than Despaigne, but I'd be very happy for a 2014 Despaigne proformance out of Cortes.

Here is an example of how he changes arm slots, time to the plate etc. striking out Devers.  It actually gets more extreme than this though.

9 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

This was before his "Oriole-zation."  Soon we will have him in our cookie cutter mold for all pitchers, lined up in the stretch, small step back for the windup, making sure that everyone uses the sidestep to the plate with runners on so we can control the ever-more-utilized running game that all teams seem to have forgotten about.  

25 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

This was before his "Oriole-zation."  Soon we will have him in our cookie cutter mold for all pitchers, lined up in the stretch, small step back for the windup, making sure that everyone uses the sidestep to the plate with runners on so we can control the ever-more-utilized running game that all teams seem to have forgotten about.  

Hopefully not, he’s got a real tricky left handed move to 1B, maybe Buck will be okay with that.

Archived