Rule 5 Target - Nestor Cortes - LHP

Luke-OH

On 12/24/2017 at 12:52 PM, SteveA said:

I guess he is implying that only big market teams can dabble in the international market.

But what is the cap set on international spending at?  What fraction is it of what we will be paying 53 year old Chris Davis in 2037?

Maybe we can get something out of that investment if 53-year old Davis wants to try and make a comeback. :)

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/16/2017 at 10:44 AM, phillyOs119 said:

Mesa throws low to mid 90s with an easy delivery, he has more traditional prospect stuff than Cortes (who is a junkballer who lives off command and deception).

I'd have Mesa slightly ahead of Lucas Long, so around the 18-20 range, Cortes would rank similar to Ynoa so low 20's, Araujo would be off the top 30 or off the very back.  So Mesa and Cortes are ahead of Hess, Means, Yefry Ramirez, Lee, Aquino, and Lee.  Since I haven't posted my top 30 yet, I'll adjust it to reflect these additions before posting it.

I'm interested in where they fall as far as being next up in the starting rotation - rather than in prospect order - at this point.  But that's just me.  I'm glad to have your perspective.  

3 hours ago, Ruzious said:

I'm interested in where they fall as far as being next up in the starting rotation - rather than in prospect order - at this point.  But that's just me.  I'm glad to have your perspective.  

I think I did that in another post, but here is my order of who I think is most ready to get hitters out as a SP currently.

Cortes

Ynoa (better in relief)

Wright

Mesa Jr (if the command takes a step forward he could be #1, best arsenal of pitches on this list)

Long (better in relief)

Asher

Castro (better in relief)

Means

Hess (better in relief)

Ramirez

Aquino

Lee (much better in relief)

2 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I think I did that in another post, but here is my order of who I think is most ready to get hitters out as a SP currently.

Cortes

Ynoa (better in relief)

Wright

Mesa Jr (if the command takes a step forward he could be #1, best arsenal of pitches on this list)

Long (better in relief)

Asher

Castro (better in relief)

Means

Hess (better in relief)

Ramirez

Aquino

Lee (much better in relief)

My list would be different - if not better.  :)

Castro would be first on my list.  He was rushed, and he's still had good major league experience at a young age.  I think we got a gem there.  

Wright would be much better in relief, imo.  It would speed up his fastball - and he's much more thrower than pitcher.   I don't see him having the repertoire or temperament to be a starter.   He's what - 28?   

I pretty much agree on the others - looking forward to seeing Cortes, Ynoa, and Mesa getting chances in the Spring, but I would like to see Long get a look as a starter, as well.  With the news that the O's want Scott to be a starter, I guess he should be mentioned despite his control issues.      

10 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

My list would be different - if not better.  :)

Castro would be first on my list.  He was rushed, and he's still had good major league experience at a young age.  I think we got a gem there.  

Wright would be much better in relief, imo.  It would speed up his fastball - and he's much more thrower than pitcher.   I don't see him having the repertoire or temperament to be a starter.   He's what - 28?   

I pretty much agree on the others - looking forward to seeing Cortes, Ynoa, and Mesa getting chances in the Spring, but I would like to see Long get a look as a starter, as well.  With the news that the O's want Scott to be a starter, I guess he should be mentioned despite his control issues.      

I don’t think Castro has a starter’s delivery.

Wright’s two seamer is the better pitch but it’s fair to say he’d be better in relief. This is just a list of current ability, if it was future potential he’d be much further down.

17 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I don’t think Castro has a starter’s delivery.

Wright’s two seamer is the better pitch but it’s fair to say he’d be better in relief. This is just a list of current ability, if it was future potential he’d be much further down.

Does your evaluation take into account what we know about Wright's demeanor?   That he gets so nervous before a start that he throws up almost every time, and that he does not seem to handle adversity well on the mound?

Just now, SteveA said:

Does your evaluation take into account what we know about Wright's demeanor?   That he gets so nervous before a start that he throws up almost every time, and that he does not seem to handle adversity well on the mound?

Yes, I know he’s a mess. But he has good stuff and he was a different pitcher in 2017 than he’d been in the past. If it wasn’t for some poor HR/FB luck people would be looking at his time with the O’s in 2017 differently.

All the guys below him on the list you have to project something for them to be able to respectably eat innings, 2017 Wright (even headcase Wright) can go out and give you a 5.00 ish ERA IMO. Which is far from great of course. 

Archived