Winter Meetings 2017

weams

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/3/2017 at 11:31 AM, Frobby said:

If it guaranteed success, I’d live through that.   Unfortunately, success isn’t guaranteed.  

Its almost st fool proof....Sadly the Orioles were the fools due to poor drafts and a ton of 1st round busts. If they had a good scouting and development and traded their valuable chips for good returns they would be relevant fairly quickly.

4 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

Any interest in Avisail?  Orioles looking for a RF right?

Avisail is a buy high situation IMO.  His line was propped up by a BABIP that was over .050 above his career average without significant changes in batted ball profile to explain it.  He improved his K rate, and it looks like that is real, but I'd say he an average regular going forward, not what we saw in 2017.

Mets looking to flip Matt Harvery for a reliever.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/12/mets-reportedly-willing-to-trade-matt-harvey.html

I know it's been a couple years since he was any good, but with the Orioles lack of rotation options, why not?

I don't know what the Mets are asking for but I'd definitely move O'Day for Harvey and I'd at least seriously consider Brach for Harvey.

1 hour ago, phillyOs119 said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/12/mets-reportedly-willing-to-trade-matt-harvey.html

I know it's been a couple years since he was any good, but with the Orioles lack of rotation options, why not?

I don't know what the Mets are asking for but I'd definitely move O'Day for Harvey and I'd at least seriously consider Brach for Harvey.

Is there any reason to expect that he has anything left?

1 hour ago, phillyOs119 said:

Free agent after next season....will earn 7ish million, was Ulbaldo bad ...near 7 era. Only 92 inning each of the last 2 years. Not a K an inning, and 20 homers in half a season. He might give up 40 at OPACY. He will fit right!

Honestly, I wouldn't give up a AAAA arm for the privledge of paying his salary to be that bad.....Talk about low expectations.

Just now, Roll Tide said:

Free agent after next season....will earn 7isn million, was Ulbaldo bad ...near 7 era. Only 92 inning each of the last 2 years. Not a K and inning, and 20 homers in half a season. He might give up 40 at OPACY. He will fit right!

Hpnestly, I wouldn't give up a AAAA arm for the privledge of paying his salary to ge that bad.....Talk about low expectations.

O'Day will have a higher salary, obviously you aren't paying him to be that bad. You are paying him in the hopes that a guy who threw about 190 innings of 2.71 ERA ball in 2015 recovers any of his old form another year removed from Thoracic outlet surgery.  He's only 29 so if he has any bounce back, not only do you get the performance, you probably can slap a QO on him and get a pick.  Is it a sure thing, no, but is it worth the risk, probably.  I'd surely prefer it over throwing multiple years of that money or more at Vargas or Cashner.

6 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

O'Day will have a higher salary, obviously you aren't paying him to be that bad. You are paying him in the hopes that a guy who threw about 190 innings of 2.71 ERA ball in 2015 recovers any of his old form another year removed from Thoracic outlet surgery.  He's only 29 so if he has any bounce back, not only do you get the performance, you probably can slap a QO on him and get a pick.  Is it a sure thing, no, but is it worth the risk, probably.  I'd surely prefer it over throwing multiple years of that money or more at Vargas or Cashner.

He was suspended by the team in May 2017 for not showing up for a game after spending the previous night at a club and playing a round of golf in the morning.

In June 2017 he was placed on the DL due to lingering effects of his thoracic outlet surgery. His ERA at the time was 5.25. He next pitch in the majors in early September, and from then until the rest of the season his ERA mushroomed all the way up to 6.70. 

Had the Mets non-tendered him, I'd offer him a minor league deal to prove that he is once again a decent pitcher and teammate. I would trade only a low-level prospect for him and would still want the Mets to pay most of his salary. 

This is Josh Hamilton 2.0. Buyer beware.

I know everyone gets all worked up for prospects, but I just don’t see us selling with everyone on one year deals. However, we aren’t getting a FA SP here unless we overpay in money and an extra year. Therefore, I see all this leading to trading Britton for a MLB “ready” SP. 

I think the dodgers would be the best fit here. They have a pleothera of vet SP.  

2 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

He was suspended by the team in May 2017 for not showing up for a game after spending the previous night at a club and playing a round of golf in the morning.

In June 2017 he was placed on the DL due to lingering effects of his thoracic outlet surgery. His ERA at the time was 5.25. He next pitch in the majors in early September, and from then until the rest of the season his ERA mushroomed all the way up to 6.70. 

Had the Mets non-tendered him, I'd offer him a minor league deal to prove that he is once again a decent pitcher and teammate. I would trade only a low-level prospect for him and would still want the Mets to pay most of his salary. 

This is Josh Hamilton 2.0. Buyer beware.

I get it, but I'll just say if he didn't have the issues you outlined, there is no chance they'd let him go.  His value is very low right now, you get what you pay for, I'm just saying the talent is tempting especially if he could be had for O'Day (clears more payroll room for 2019).  Like I said before I'd prefer giving Harvey a shot to throwing multiple years at Cashner or Vargas, it's pretty low risk if you ask me.

3 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I get it, but I'll just say if he didn't have the issues you outlined, there is no chance they'd let him go.  His value is very low right now, you get what you pay for, I'm just saying the talent is tempting especially if he could be had for O'Day (clears more payroll room for 2019).  Like I said before I'd prefer giving Harvey a shot to throwing multiple years at Cashner or Vargas, it's pretty low risk if you ask me.

Except that O'Day is still a pretty good reliever (1.1 rWAR in 2017) and could be part of a trade package that brings back a better ballplayer. He will make $9 million this year and next and will likely earn that money. Harvey should get around $6mm in arbitration and likely won't make it through spring training. I don't think the savings you cite are really savings at all. If you could make the deal O'Day and Trumbo for Harvey, I would do that.

1 minute ago, mdbdotcom said:

Except that O'Day is still a pretty good reliever (1.1 rWAR in 2017) and could be part of a trade package that brings back a better ballplayer. He will make $9 million this year and next and will likely earn that money. Harvey should get around $6mm in arbitration and likely won't make it through spring training. I don't think the savings you cite are really savings at all. If you could make the deal O'Day and Trumbo for Harvey, I would do that.

That's fair, O'Day and Trumbo for Harvey would be an absolute coup IMO.

3 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

That's fair, O'Day and Trumbo for Harvey would be an absolute coup IMO.

We could even throw in $3mm a year for each of the next two years to make the financials more palatable to the Mets, who need relievers and a 1B but are cheap.

Archived