DD: O's must be "more proactive" on pitchers, but "no 4-5 year deals"

Frobby

2 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Doesn't wildcard have some Kool Aid for you?  We need more positive Frobby or this hot stove season will be the pits!  Man up!  :ph34r:

I consider myself to be a realist who appreciates that in real life there are always unexpected things that can happen that make things turn out better or worse than you expect.    So I wouldn’t go into 2018 feeling hopeless if Cashner and Vargas were our two pitching acquisitions; I just wouldn’t feel very optimistic about it.   2012 reminded me never to assume you know what will happen before the season is played.   

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

If it was as simple as signing people who were good last year, then Ubaldo and Gallardo would have been good signings.  All of those guys have serious questions going forward, especially Cashner who posted terrible peripherals and has seen his velocity decline substantially.  

You really believe they will all crash and burn? They probably won't accrue that many QS but I doubt any of them are done They need only to average 13 QS to get us to the playoffs, if the offense and pen do their jobs.

Just now, Frobby said:

I consider myself to be a realist who appreciates that in real life there are always unexpected things that can happen that make things turn out better or worse than you expect.    So I wouldn’t go into 2018 feeling hopeless if Cashner and Vargas were our two pitching acquisitions; I just wouldn’t feel very optimistic about it.   2012 reminded me never to assume you know what will happen before the season is played.   

I don't know if that is different than what you had said but it sure sounds like a more positive Frobby!  Good!  Now if we can get Moose on board.....I X'd out all of my FA choices and I was left with Tillman and the 40 year old knuckleballer!   We can do this with Buck I Trust!  Right Gordo?

3 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

You really believe they will all crash and burn? They probably won't accrue that many QS but I doubt any of them are done They need only to average 13 QS to get us to the playoffs, if the offense and pen do their jobs.

If I had to name one pitcher in all of baseball whose ERA would crash and burn from 2017 to 2018, Cashner would be it.

I mean it's just too much like Gallardo to make up.  Guys who lost their fastball, stopped missing bats, but managed to put up solid ERAs despite all the ERA estimator metrics saying they pitched very poorly.

1 hour ago, oriole said:

You have to couple the AAAA players with selling off current assets. That includes Machado, Schoop, Jones, Britton, Brach and could mean players like Givens or Mancini if the right offer was made. They're obviously not doing that...they're just probably signing players like Vargas and Cashner who I really don't care to watch unless it was with shiny new prospects with a bright future. 

I think they are keeping their options open. If I had to predict, I think they will stink this year and trade Manny, Britton, and Brach at the deadline. But they might make a move now if they got a really good offer. 

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

The answer of course is yes. He has kept his promise. And no it does not depend on the definition of “contending” or “competitive”.  Unless of course you define either word incorrectly.  

Dictionary definitions:
contend -- to compete with a good chance of winning
competitive -- as good as or better than others of a comparable nature

Peter Schmuck has repeatedly claimed that Dan Duquette's stated objective is to be competitive every year (however, I cannot find a supporting quote). 

If I discount the 2015/.500 season, the team has contended and been competitive in 4 of Duquette's 6 years.

I'm predicting the O's big pitching addition is Harvey.  He has pitched like an ace before (before multiple surgeries).  The O's marketing department will try to sell him as an ace to the casual fan.  Signings of Gonzalez and Tillman are likely too.

90 losses here we come.

Bundy

Gausman

Harvey

Gonzalez

Tillman

8 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I'm predicting the O's big pitching addition is Harvey.  He has pitched like an ace before (before multiple surgeries).  The O's marketing department will try to sell him as an ace to the casual fan.

No fan is going to buy tickets because of Matt Harvey.     I can’t imagine the marketing department doing a single thing to feature Matt Harvey as they try to sell tickets.   

14 hours ago, oriole said:

I cannot stand the way this team is being run right now. Either rebuild or retool for another go at it but signing players like Vargas or Cashner is a losing team even if they have decent years.

It is rather hilarious. Can you imagine Vargas starting starting against the Yankees? The fact that they won't rebuild is crazy. How in the world can you risk losing Manny for a draft pick? BUT remember that DD is signed for one more year, which means he has no vested interest in a rebuild. I don't blame him, I blame the owner.

9 hours ago, AZRon said:

Dictionary definitions:
contend -- to compete with a good chance of winning
competitive -- as good as or better than others of a comparable nature

Peter Schmuck has repeatedly claimed that Dan Duquette's stated objective is to be competitive every year (however, I cannot find a supporting quote). 

If I discount the 2015/.500 season, the team has contended and been competitive in 4 of Duquette's 6 years.

A GM should not be judged solely on wins and losses at the major league level. You have to look at the whole picture. For instance, Cashman traded away some guys knowing they would not win as many games the rest of that year. But, he was setting up to win more games in future years. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

No fan is going to buy tickets because of Matt Harvey.     I can’t imagine the marketing department doing a single thing to feature Matt Harvey as they try to sell tickets.   

The marketing department has a really low bar.  I remember Jay Gibbons being a huge focus of the marketing department. 

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The marketing department has a really low bar.  I remember Jay Gibbons being a huge focus of the marketing department. 

I remember the kids are coming to play was a big ad in the early 2000s and featured Chris Richard and Brook Fordyce holding Jerry Hairston.  

12 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

I remember the kids are coming to play was a big ad in the early 2000s and featured Chris Richard and Brook Fordyce holding Jerry Hairston.  

Yeah, that was after they traded a bunch of vets and didn’t re-sign Mussina.    

Whatever happened to the theory that we would have lots of money to spend after clearing salaries of JJ, Ubaldo, Tillman, Miley?

I get why DD would not want to blow the team up in the last year of his contract, but why not make some effort at a "last hurrah" and go all in? I don't get it.

From Roch today:

The Orioles have been defined at the Winter Meetings as the team that needs multiple starting pitchers but won’t spend big on them, as well as a left-handed bat, and must decide whether to trade third baseman Manny Machado and closer Zach Britton in a rebuild-versus-reload tug of war.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/12/catching-and-left-handed-relief-also-on-orioles-shopping-list.html

11 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Whatever happened to the theory that we would have lots of money to spend after clearing salaries of JJ, Ubaldo, Tillman, Miley?

I get why DD would not want to blow the team up in the last year of his contract, but why not make some effort at a "last hurrah" and go all in? I don't get it.

From Roch today:

The Orioles have been defined at the Winter Meetings as the team that needs multiple starting pitchers but won’t spend big on them, as well as a left-handed bat, and must decide whether to trade third baseman Manny Machado and closer Zach Britton in a rebuild-versus-reload tug of war.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/12/catching-and-left-handed-relief-also-on-orioles-shopping-list.html

Who had that theory?

Archived