O’s sign RHP Michael Kelly to big league deal

Frobby

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, clapdiddy said:

Agreed.   Minor league deal, no problem.   Big league deal and a valuable 40-man roster spot?   No friggin' clue.

I think that might be what it takes to get some free agents in our minor league system. We've seen Dan do this before. He'll be off the 40-man before the season, and perhaps before the offseason is over. No big deal, guys. Relax.

I could be wrong, but I think you can essentially do a minor league deal but agree to put the player on the 40-man as a way to sort of entice him, right? The thinking being that being on the 40-man is half the battle itself, and creates a tough decision for the organization on a DFA. But the player can still be assigned to the minor leagues. 

Please correct me if I'm wrong though.

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

I could be wrong, but I think you can essentially do a minor league deal but agree to put the player on the 40-man as a way to sort of entice him, right? The thinking being that being on the 40-man is half the battle itself, and creates a tough decision for the organization on a DFA. But the player can still be assigned to the minor leagues. 

Please correct me if I'm wrong though.

Yeah, I can't remember who, but I remember in a previous year we acquired someone and put them on the 40 but DFA'd them two weeks later, all in the offseason.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Except this guy got lit up in AAA and Mike Wright actually has had some success down there.    We'll see.   The 40 man roster spot seems like a weird move for this guy.

Please. Mike Wright lost about 5 mph of velocity in a bid to gain some control, and gained absolutely no control. He is irredeemably bad. 

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

First time on the 40-man, right? So they will have 3 options, no need to DFA. He can be the new Mike Wright.

Gotcha, that sounds right.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Please, what?   Mike Wright, even the one you said is irredeemably bad, had a 3.69 ERA and 1.29 WHIP in AAA last year.   Michael Kelly, in 42 AAA innings had a 6.64 ERA and a 1.74 WHIP.      I was just commenting that this guy doesn't look to be any better than Mike Wright, possibly worse.    I watched some video of him and his mechanics look good but he still performed very poorly in AAA.   Maybe the Orioles no something no one else does but I find myself saying that more and more and have not seen much of it playing out that way.

Yeah, and I would remind you that Mike Wright's AAA career started way back in the year 2013. So I sure hope he can put up a sub-4 ERA with a middling WHIP last year. 

Meanwhile Kelly mostly skipped AA and has had limited time at AAA in 2016 and 2017.

Just now, RZNJ said:

Why do you keep spouting misinformation.   Mike Wright's average fastall velocity was virtually the same in 2017 as when he came up.   That's #1.

#2.  Michael Kelly has started 24 game in AA over the last two years.   How in the world is that mostly skipping AA?     Is easy to fact check these sorts of things.   Why say such silly stuff?

My point was he didn't spend a full season in AA before coming to AAA. His AA and AAA experience are both relatively limited when compared to Wright. And I'm sorry, but Wright's fastball was sitting at 92-93 when we saw him in ST and his various ML appearances last year. He dropped the 4 seam for the 2 seam, and it was pretty much a disaster, like the majority of his baseball career. 

25 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Except this guy got lit up in AAA and Mike Wright actually has had some success down there.    We'll see.   The 40 man roster spot seems like a weird move for this guy.

Agreed.     I wonder what they see in him?

Archived