C Martin Cervenka selected in AAA portion of rule 5

Roll Tide

12 hours ago, wildcard said:

So who out of this group would you not protect?

Staters - (11) Bundy, Cashner, Cobb, Harvey, Hess, Means, Oritiz,  Ramirez, Rogers,  Yacabonis, Tate.

Relievers -  (15)  Araujo, Bleier, Carroll,  Castro, Fry. Givens, Gilmartin, Hart, Meisinger, Phillips,  Scott, Wright,  Flaa, Kline, Luis Gonzalez

Catcher (4)  Cervenka, Joesph, Sisco, Wynns

Infielders ( 6)    Beckham,  Davis, Nunez,  Valera, Villar, Wilkerson

Outfielder ( 6) Hays, Mancini, Mullins, Rickard, Stewart, Santander

DH (1) Trumbo

Rule 5 Draft (2)

Total (45)

That is a huge amount of pitchers.  I would really call it pitching talent.  80% of them are potential middle relievers/5th starters on a bad team.  I would like the O's to open up 4 or 5 spots on the 40 man roster because they need to sign an OF, an IF and a starter who can eat innings and could go in the bullpen or be traded later in the year. 

I would get rid of Ramirez, Rogers, Yacabonis from starting pitchers, Gilmartin, Meisinger, Wright, and Gonzalez from relievers.  Position players cut would be Beckham, Nunez, Valera, Santander, and Rickard.  I might cut Joseph too and try to bring him back at a lower salary.  The O's would have to have a veteran catcher next year.  I guess the 2 Rule 5 draft picks is assuming the O's will pick up 2 Rule 5's. 

That would leave 31 players on the 40 man Roster.

2 Rule 5 draft picks.

Sign an IF, OF, 4th OF, utility IF and 5th starter/long relief type.

38 players

Look to trade for talent in top farm systems that is blocked or players on waiver wire. 

There's no problem getting under 40 players,  there is so much marginal talent protected on the 40 man roster. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, wildcard said:

I serious doubt that Cobb, Cashner  or Trumbo will be traded prior to the Rule 5 draft.  So  all three will be protected on the 40 man roster.   Davis is not getting released.  I am surprised you think he would be.  I know you said these are guys you would release and not that the O's would release them, but let's be realistic.

Beckham and Hart I agree with.

Araujo, Phillips and Meisinger are all players that have had minor league success and are very likely to be protected by the O's on the 40 man roster.    In the rebuild the O's will be looking to give chances next year to these kind of minor league players IMO.  In spite of what the Red Sox did to Meisinger today.

I said this is what i would do, not what I think the Orioles will do. Araujo, Phillips and Meisinger are replacement level relievers at best. If they need space they can go.

3 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

That is a huge amount of pitchers.  I would really call it pitching talent.  80% of them are potential middle relievers/5th starters on a bad team.  I would like the O's to open up 4 or 5 spots on the 40 man roster because they need to sign an OF, an IF and a starter who can eat innings and could go in the bullpen or be traded later in the year. 

I would get rid of Ramirez, Rogers, Yacabonis from starting pitchers, Gilmartin, Meisinger, Wright, and Gonzalez from relievers.  Position players cut would be Beckham, Nunez, Valera, Santander, and Rickard.  I might cut Joseph too and try to bring him back at a lower salary.  The O's would have to have a veteran catcher next year.  I guess the 2 Rule 5 draft picks is assuming the O's will pick up 2 Rule 5's. 

That would leave 31 players on the 40 man Roster.

2 Rule 5 draft picks.

Sign an IF, OF, 4th OF, utility IF and 5th starter/long relief type.

38 players

Look to trade for talent in top farm systems that is blocked or players on waiver wire. 

There's no problem getting under 40 players,  there is so much marginal talent protected on the 40 man roster. 

The O's are going to need all their pitcher plus more.   If the O's find a decent deal that allows them to get salary relief for Cobb, he will be gone.  Maybe this off season.. Maybe some time next season.

38 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The O's are going to need all their pitcher plus more.   If the O's find a decent deal that allows them to get salary relief for Cobb, he will be gone.  Maybe this off season.. Maybe some time next season.

If the O's don't develop some good pitching soon, all the position players will have to work on their pitching.  I think the O's will and should keep Cobb and Cashner through the offseason because someone needs to pitch and outside of Hess, I haven't seen much major league ready pitching.  Cobb and Cashner can always be traded at the trade deadline if pitchers like Akin are ready. 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Unless they are overwhelmed they need Cobb to eat innings. 

We are seeing now the lack of depth. 

You have to remember these players that are exposed with the rule 5 draft have to stay in the majors for 90 days.  How many players that aren't good enough to play for the 110 loss O's are going to be good enough to play for another major league team.  Basically only a few rebuilding teams are going to claim them. 

20 hours ago, wildcard said:

So who out of this group would you not protect?

Staters - (11) Bundy, Cashner, Cobb, Harvey, Hess, Means, Oritiz,  Ramirez, Rogers,  Yacabonis, Tate.

Relievers -  (15)  Araujo, Bleier, Carroll,  Castro, Fry. Givens, Gilmartin, Hart, Meisinger, Phillips,  Scott, Wright,  Flaa, Kline, Luis Gonzalez

Catcher (4)  Cervenka, Joesph, Sisco, Wynns

Infielders ( 6)    Beckham,  Davis, Nunez,  Valera, Villar, Wilkerson

Outfielder ( 6) Hays, Mancini, Mullins, Rickard, Stewart, Santander

DH (1) Trumbo

Rule 5 Draft (2)

Total (45)

Beckahm I woldn't offer arbitration.  Wilkerson, Santander,  Wright, Joseph There you go.  I mean there are more but since you only need 5

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I said this is what i would do, not what I think the Orioles will do. Araujo, Phillips and Meisinger are replacement level relievers at best. If they need space they can go.

If we take Araujo off the 40 man I would think he would go back to the Cubs.  

19 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

He throws junk and has a .216 BABIP and a 91% Left on Base, neither are remotely sustainable even for an excellent pitcher. It's 25 innings, if you project him forward with even his minor league LOB and BABIP numbers, he's a 5 ERA guy. 

ERA is not a good judge of talent in small samples.

Gilmartin has faced 103 batters, the only statistic that begins to stabilize at that few batters faced is K rate. Gilmartin's K rate is 4.68/K or 12.6%, both poor.

But a 5.00 ERA would be the star of our staff.  But he will be 29 next year. Don't think he needs to be protected.  But you could say that about half the guys on the 40 man.  I would assume he is out of options and if he isn't on the 40 man he is a free agent. 

4 hours ago, atomic said:

But a 5.00 ERA would be the star of our staff.  But he will be 29 next year. Don't think he needs to be protected.  But you could say that about half the guys on the 40 man.  I would assume he is out of options and if he isn't on the 40 man he is a free agent. 

Do we really take up a spot on our 40 man roster all off season on a guy that could give up 3 runs in an inning and his whole stat line being blown?

6 hours ago, atomic said:

Beckahm I woldn't offer arbitration.  Wilkerson, Santander,  Wright, Joseph There you go.  I mean there are more but since you only need 5

If Beckham is non tendered then Wilkerson is either the 2B or UIF.  Until the O's can find better. 

Santander will turn 24 in October.  He is exactly the kind of prospect the rebuilding O's should be trying to develop.

Archived