Slow Offseason around MLB

Redskins Rick

17 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

It would have really made a lot of sense before the 2017 trade deadline.  The Astros could have been paying him to not pitch instead of the O's. 

Injured and out for 6 months. He comes back if healthy what in August or September? 

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Number5 said:

Six months would be late June.

I'm a bit unclear about what the 6 months is though.   Is it a return to pitching shape?   Or is it how long the Achilles will take to heal BEFORE he can start really throwing full out off a mound?

Because if it's the latter, then he would basically need some "spring training" before he is pitching in the majors.

15 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I'm a bit unclear about what the 6 months is though.   Is it a return to pitching shape?   Or is it how long the Achilles will take to heal BEFORE he can start really throwing full out off a mound?

Because if it's the latter, then he would basically need some "spring training" before he is pitching in the majors.

The initial reports were that he'd be out for 6 months.  In rehab is still out, as I understand it.  As always with injuries, it is only a best guess estimate.  Could be shorter, could be longer.  Maybe even all season.  Who knows?  Another report came out, I believe it was Britt, that put the estimate at more like four months.  Hope her source's guess is better than Rosenthal's.  :)

Pirates are committed to rebuilding with their trades of Cole and McCutchen.  They haven't gotten blue chip prospects back, but they have gotten some controllable assets that are likely to contribute at the major league level at a low cost for several seasons.  

It's not necessarily the direction that the O's should go in, but it is a direction.  Currently the O's do not seem to have one.  

3 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

I'm really starting to believe that ownership has pulled the spending money from DD. I'm having trouble coming up with any other reason as to why they've done absolutely nothing.

Considering we spent 40 million last year on 3 terrible SP’s, maybe the analytics guys are saying we can similar production from our guys, rather than spend on FA’s. It’s not like we need “name” players. 

Mom predicting we sign Vargas and Dickey. 

3 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

I'm really starting to believe that ownership has pulled the spending money from DD. I'm having trouble coming up with any other reason as to why they've done absolutely nothing.

Ricketts pointed out that in previous years, some teams have somewhat quietly inked new television deals or had those deals kick in, which has led to unexpected spending. 

https://theathletic.com//211916/2018/01/14/collusion-wait-til-next-year-cubs-weighing-when-to-strike-for-next-big-free-agent/?redirected=1

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Considering we spent 40 million last year on 3 terrible SP’s, maybe the analytics guys are saying we can similar production from our guys, rather than spend on FA’s. It’s not like we need “name” players. 

Mom predicting we sign Vargas and Dickey. 

I just don't see why Dickey would choose Baltimore if he decided he wanted to pitch in 2018.

Archived