Slow Offseason around MLB

Redskins Rick

1 hour ago, Es4M11 said:

Maybe, but I think Tillman would at least like a chance to win this year. However slim it may be with the Orioles. Philly certainly possible

If I were him I would try to find a team with good defense who plays in a big ballpark who has opening for starters.   I wouldn't be concerned with teams potential to win games. 

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

A player with two sub-replacement seasons under his belt just got 144M deal.  Anyone still thinking the owners are colluding?

So, Hosmer previously was reported to have received a 7/$147 mm deal from the Royals and 7/$140 mm from the Padres.   https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2018/01/03/eric-hosmer-offered-seven-year-147-million-deal-return-royals/998796001/.   Now he ends up at 8/$144 mm with the Padres.   Is it my imagination, or were the earlier reported offers better?    Just goes to show that press reports of what deals have been offered aren’t always accurate, and/or omit details that are pretty important.    

As to the wisdom of the deal, the main thing Hosmer has going for him is that he’s quite young for a free agent.    For him, 8 years covers ages 28-35.     Davis’ 7 year deal covered ages 30-36, one less year and $17 mm more (though with deferrals that eat into the real value of that differential).    I still don’t like Hosmer’s deal, but he has some shot at meeting the 18 WAR or so he’ll need to generate to justify it.   

Just now, Frobby said:

So, Hosmer previously was reported to have received a 7/$147 mm deal from the Royals and 7/$140 mm from the Padres.   https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2018/01/03/eric-hosmer-offered-seven-year-147-million-deal-return-royals/998796001/.   Now he ends up at 8/$144 mm with the Padres.   Is it my imagination, or were the earlier reported offers better?    Just goes to show that press reports of what deals have been offered aren’t always accurate, and/or omit details that are pretty important.    

As to the wisdom of the deal, the main thing Hosmer has going for him is that he’s quite young for a free agent.    For him, 8 years covers ages 28-35.     Davis’ 7 year deal covered ages 30-36, one less year and $17 mm more (though with deferrals that eat into the real value of that differential).    I still don’t like Hosmer’s deal, but he has some shot at meeting the 18 WAR or so he’ll need to generate to justify it.   

I agree on all points.  But this isn't the type of deal that comes about if ownership is actively colluding.

49 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I agree on all points.  But this isn't the type of deal that comes about if ownership is actively colluding.

Yeah, probably not.   

Tom Davis made a good point on Wall to Wall Baseball yesterday (a departure from his usual inane comments).     Free agents who get a QO cost a comp pick if signed for $50 mm+.   Not relevant for the Darvish’s of the world but possibly relevant for teams considering Lynn and Cobb.   Teams are probably hoping to squeeze under the $50 mm threshold for those guys.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Now I’m reading that the deal is heavily front loaded and contains an opt-out after the fifth year (it pays $105 mm in the first 5 years).  That explains the appeal of this deal for Hosmer.

4 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Dyson to the Dbacks - quick pivot from them.  One less name for the O's. 

$7.5M over two years.  That's not much at all, wonder why the Orioles weren't in for that price.  Maybe they can get Jay for something similar, maybe a tad more like 2 years 9-10. 

Archived