Cole/McCutchen - What would it take and would you be interested?

millertime

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

For one year... yippee!  And it would be awesome watching them run to get the multiple balls in the gap and watching those going over the fence as we have ZERO pitching. 

As long as we keep Trumbo out of the OF, I'd be worried about the balls that will be hit out than the ones that might have been caught by fleeter OFers.

54 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

As long as we keep Trumbo out of the OF, I'd be worried about the balls that will be hit out than the ones that might have been caught by fleeter OFers.

Yes, even the fleetest of foot will mostly be getting the line drives on the rebound as they bounce off the base of the walls if we don’t get some pitching. 

I will be upset if the Yankees get Cole. Why can the Yankees make trades but the Orioles cannot? Being an Yankees fan is simply to easy. The Yankees get everything they want. You have to be a real man to be an Orioles fan. I might have to get my doctor to prescribe me some depression medication. The 2018 season could be rough on us Oriole fans. Gincarlo Stanton will probably be the first player to hit the warehouse on a fly ball. Not a bounce but a fly ball.

9 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

I will be upset if the Yankees get Cole. Why can the Yankees make trades but the Orioles cannot? Being an Yankees fan is simply to easy. The Yankees get everything they want. You have to be a real man to be an Orioles fan. I might have to get my doctor to prescribe me some depression medication. The 2018 season could be rough on us Oriole fans. Gincarlo Stanton will probably be the first player to hit the warehouse on a fly ball. Not a bounce but a fly ball.

Eh most likely no, only because I think it would be near impossible to hit a ball that far opposite field haha.  He's a right handed hitter.

Edit:  Though I agree, you have to be a real man to be an O's fan.  Also you have to be crazy ;):(

1 hour ago, joelala said:

Eh most likely no, only because I think it would be near impossible to hit a ball that far opposite field haha.  He's a right handed hitter.

Edit:  Though I agree, you have to be a real man to be an O's fan.  Also you have to be crazy ;):(

My wife says I have the crazy part down pat.

6 hours ago, canonfaz said:

If we're going to keep Manny and just get a pick for him (something I COMPLETELY disagree with). We might as well go all in.

Cole/McCutchen for Hays, Harvey, Stewart, Moutcastle, Scott, competitive pick, and international money.

Sign Darvish.

Sign Vargas/Tillman.

Pray we win the world series.

Yea, I'd want to keep either Harvey or Hayes too, but I would be totally alright with almost everything else in here.  If we're gonna keep Manny, it makes zero sense not to make a huge push and go into rebuild after next season.  And then trade Darvish.

2 hours ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

Wish we could make some trades too. 

4 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

Wonder if the pirates would trade Freese if they get an infielder from NY. 

Give us a strong left side with Manny at SS

What?!

Freese is in his mid-30s and is slower, a worse hitter, and a worse fielder than Tim Beckham. His best season was back in 2012 and that was only marginally better than Beckham’s 2017.

I just don’t get this idea that Beckham shouldn’t be a starter. He had a great 2017 and it’s not like he is a nobody with no tools who had a good season with luck and smoke and mirrors.  He’s a former top draft pick with a toolshed of abilities that he appears to be finally harnessing. 

5 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Getting Cole for two years would be huge and I think we would have a chance to extend  McCutchen. Price tag? I'm guessing you start with Mountcastle and go from there. How far is the question.

Exactly why I think they should, at the very least, pick up the phone and see if there could be a potential match.  Perhaps I’m in the minority but I’d be ok with giving up 2-3 of our top prospects to get a few years of Cole and again, if we’re not in playoff contention (which will most likely be the case), we try and trade Manny and Cutch before the deadline and get a few good prospects in return (perhaps recoup a good portion of the prospects we traded to get Cole/Cutch) or if we can’t trade them, get 2 draft picks which could also potentially help us recoup some of what we traded away.  Another reason I think we should at least try is because, as someone else stated, Cutch’s contract this year isn’t an albatross so we wouldn’t even be raising the salary that much.  At this point, I personally think it’s one of our best options IF we can work it out.

I want no part of a trade that involves trading away Hays unless the player coming back is a present All-Star with multiple years of control.  I think that Hays is going to be better than McCutcheon by the end of the year.  IMO, Hays is a future multiple All-Star.  I don't want to trade that for a player on the decline.  If the O's add Cole & McCutcheon they are still at best a 3rd place team.  The O's need to be adding to the farm and trading away MLB players not the opposite.

Archived