Simply Extension?

weams

1 minute ago, Babypowder said:

What is a typical Jones season at this point? The last two seasons that has meant average to slightly below. If that’s his new normal, I’m not so sure he will have many suitors at much more than the 3/36 estimates. Teams seem smart enough these days not to invest significantly in declining players entering the real danger zone.

Jones had a 109 OPS+ and was worth 2.5 rWAR last year.   If he does that again this year, he’ll do fine.    

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Jones had a 109 OPS+ and was worth 2.5 rWAR last year.   If he does that again this year, he’ll do fine.    

Or a 107 wRC+ and 1.7 fWAR, averagish overall. He’s not the 4-5 win guy he was and I doubt he just creates a new baseline at 2-2.5 wins for the next 5 years.

What's being ignored right now by many- not sure about this thread, as I haven't read all the way through- but Jones already passed his 10/5 rights, meaning he now is covered under a no-trade clause.  If we offer him an extension and he signs it, the no-trade clause will continue.  This means any extension offered, the money bas to be right.  I'm not opposed to Jones returning, but it would be in a corner outfield spot and for a 3 year deal, between $12-$14 million per year, if that.  

8 hours ago, jabba72 said:

O's bought out his last two arbitration years and I always got the impression Jones wishes he wouldnt have done that.

No, they only bought out the final one.  The only person who the Orioles have technically bought out of arbitration was Markakis.  I don't count the Jones extension in the last arbitration year for that, nor would I for any other team.  

17 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

No, they only bought out the final one.  The only person who the Orioles have technically bought out of arbitration was Markakis.  I don't count the Jones extension in the last arbitration year for that, nor would I for any other team.  

Agreed.

On 12/25/2017 at 10:43 PM, Babypowder said:

What is a typical Jones season at this point? The last two seasons that has meant average to slightly below. If that’s his new normal, I’m not so sure he will have many suitors at much more than the 3/36 estimates. Teams seem smart enough these days not to invest significantly in declining players entering the real danger zone.

Not according to some ways of Evaluation. 

I think it is pretty plain and simple. Get Jones out of Centerfield and you have done the team and Adam a favor. I can easily see him being a plus RFer for the next several years. So go get Almora and move Jones to RF. If Mullins bangs down the door, all the better.

59 minutes ago, weams said:

123 sOPS+

1st half 2009: 123

1st half 2012: 135

2nd half 2012: 123

1st half 2013: 127

1st half 2014: 127

1st half 2015: 128

He’s had a lot of good partial seasons.     The one from 2017 was only 66 games.   I’m glad he played well in the second half, and I hope he has a strong 2018.

On 12/23/2017 at 8:25 AM, RZNJ said:

No. No.  No.    The team can't extend the 26-27 year olds so they extend the 32 year olds. How's that been working out? 

They extended a bunch of guys who were highly inconsistent.  Adam Jones has been pretty consistent and I would expect him to put 100 percent of his effort keeping himself in good shape.  I would give Adam a 3 year 40 million dollar contract.  

On 12/25/2017 at 10:43 PM, Babypowder said:

Last season he was pretty much at career average for everything.  I don't see any decline.  

On 12/25/2017 at 12:58 PM, jabba72 said:

I'll be surprised if Jones can get Trumbo money.  IMO, this is probably his last year as CF. No playoff team is going to sign him unless its for a one year deal. He may decide to go to SD or non-competitive team with no bats, if they offer him a better deal than the O's. It sounds like Jones wants to look out for his own interests this time around. 

Trumbo has 9 career WAR Jones 30.   Jones probably ends up with over 40 career WAR where Trumbo is lucky if he hits 10.   

Archived