If Manny stays he should play 3B.

wildcard

1 minute ago, weams said:

I know Schoop was up to 245. Are you certain Manny is only 225?

Good question.  Manny might have been more that that.  I don't know.

Wow, I hadn't realized Schoop was that heavy.  And while Schoop is the best at standing in there turning the DP, his range... meh.  

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

Good question.  Manny might have been more that that.  I don't know.

Wow, I hadn't realized Schoop was that heavy.  And while Schoop is the best at standing in there turning the DP, his range... meh.  

He's not. He lost some of that because they thought he had come to camp too thick two seasons ago. 

38 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Show me something in the past 2 years, where Manny is demanding to play SS

I didn't use the word "demanding," but it's pretty clear that SS is his preferred position. These are direct quotes from Buck. 

A sudden wrinkle is Machado’s desire to move to shortstop next year. Though it seems out of the blue, according to an industry source, Machado had a meeting with Orioles manager Buck Showalter near the end of last season when he made his wish to play shortstop in 2018 clear.

Showalter met with the media Tuesday at the winter meetings and said Machado’s desire to play shortstop isn’t new.

“Always has, since the day he signed,” Showalter said. “I think out of his respect for J.J. Hardy — and one of the reasons why we brought Jonathan [Schoop] and him up early is because the chance to play alongside J.J. and really jump start their development in a lot of areas.

“Manny has not only respect for J.J. but also for Tim Beckham and other people.To say that Manny and I haven't had conversations about it over the years, I wouldn't be truthful. … Obviously, we're not there yet, but it's something that Manny — I found that players need to know about that, not February 15 or March 15. They need to know about it back then — Manny's capable of playing both real well. And I think so is Tim.”

On Sunday, December 31, 2017 at 9:48 AM, RZNJ said:

Anyone who believes Manny Machado is anything close to 185 pounds is pretty gullible but probably something worse.

Something worse, RZNJ. Are you calling me a liar? An asshole? What is your personal attack on me exactly?

On Sunday, December 31, 2017 at 6:31 AM, weams said:

Number one. Over all.

Number three, overall. There is no difference. Especially since the draft doesn't matter when it comes to playing baseball games. If you think that #1 means play the guy at shortstop over #3 overall because of their position, you are delusional. They weren't even in the same draft! To quote you, "That's not how this works, that's not how any of this works."
(--weams quoting a television commercial in response to an OH post he disagreed with)

On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 3:49 PM, Ruzious said:

I'm not sure how it's even possible for the same player as a 190 lb rookie is going to have the same range at 225 lbs when he's a 26 year old veteran.  Machado's still great at 3rd, though he'd be better if he lost a few pounds, and Beckham appears to be adequate at SS.  Why make Machado a slightly above average SS and risk having nobody at 3B - especially when there's very limited upside in making that change?  Makes no sense.      

Nobody at 3rd? Beckham?

On 12/30/2017 at 6:31 PM, Can_of_corn said:

No.

That's just stupid.

Let's make up a scale from 1-100 on defense with higher being better.

If Player A is an 82 at short and a 75 at third while Player B is an 84 at short and a 96 at third you are telling me that the best alignment is Player B at short?

Stupid? You want to make this a personal attack, C_o_c? Would you like to walk that back and address me in a more respectful way? Or would you rather I sling the crap you have thrown at me back at you?

13 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Stupid? You want to make this a personal attack, C_o_c? Would you like to walk that back and address me in a more respectful way? Or would you rather I sling the crap you have thrown at me back at you?

Saying something is stupid is not the same as saying the person that said it is stupid.

On Saturday, December 30, 2017 at 6:29 PM, phillyOs119 said:

SS is the most important defensive infield position, but I think you are overestimating the share of balls in play that are in the SS's area of the field as compared to the 3B's area.  It's about 10% more.

I was talking about all balls. I think it is more than 10% on batted balls alone, but I am interested to see if you can find the info. I had read within the past year that SS gets twice as many touches as 3B, including grounders, cut-offs, etc. To me, shortstop is more than just fielding grounders. Part of Hardy's appeal was the way he commanded the infield.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Saying something is stupid is not the same as saying the person that said it is stupid.

That's just stupid.

You made a paragraph of those word, making it a stand alone insult. Sure you can parse the words now, in retrospect. Or you can say, "Yeah, that person believes I called him stupid. Maybe the way I wrote things could have been better. Maybe I could have left out that part altogether, knowing how I would feel if someone said the same to me."

Remember how pissed off you were when Frobby responded to one of your posts with, "That's just silly." You took umbrage and calmed down after he apologized. He only called you "silly," not "stupid." Was Frobby wrong when he called you "silly?" Or was he wrong when he apologized for offending you?

1 minute ago, Beef Supreme said:

That's just stupid.

You made a paragraph of those word, making it a stand alone insult. Sure you can parse the words now, in retrospect. Or you can say, "Yeah, that person believes I called him stupid. Maybe the way I wrote things could have been better. Maybe I could have left out that part altogether, knowing how I would feel if someone said the same to me."

Remember how pissed off you were when Frobby responded to one of your posts with, "That's just silly." You took umbrage and calmed down after he apologized. He only called you "silly," not "stupid." Was Frobby wrong when he called you "silly?" Or was he wrong when he apologized for offending you?

Take it how you want to take it.

It wasn't a personal attack.

Take it up with the mods if you are that worked up about it.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Take it how you want to take it.

It wasn't a personal attack.

Take it up with the mods if you are that worked up about it.

I asked a question of you: Was Frobby wrong when he called you "silly?" Or was he wrong when he apologized for offending you? I'd like to know what you think.

3 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

I asked a question of you: Was Frobby wrong when he called you "silly?" Or was he wrong when he apologized for offending you? I'd like to know what you think.

Link me to the thread and I'll read it and give you a fresh opinion.

I vaguely recall the incident in question but not clearly enough to give an opinion.

1 hour ago, Beef Supreme said:

I was talking about all balls. I think it is more than 10% on batted balls alone, but I am interested to see if you can find the info. I had read within the past year that SS gets twice as many touches as 3B, including grounders, cut-offs, etc. To me, shortstop is more than just fielding grounders. Part of Hardy's appeal was the way he commanded the infield.

I’m sure SS get more action from non-batted balls as well, but I don’t know where to find data on that.

For 2017 SS in MLB had 11293 Balls in their zone (according to fangraphs) and 3B had 10021 in their zone. It’s 12.69% more, some years it’s a little more and some it’s under 10%. I’d say the average is in the 10-12% range.

Archived