Thoughts on Manny @ SS and Beckham @ 3B ??

alaniee

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's not much of an argument. 

The other MLB organizations can't be that stupid, right?  Of course they know he can play SS.

To me this just comes across as an appeasement, nothing more.  But whatever.  It seems pretty obvious Manny is going to be shopped at the deadline so pray to whoever you want that he stays healthy.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

The other MLB organizations can't be that stupid, right?  Of course they know he can play SS.

To me this just comes across as an appeasement, nothing more.  But whatever.  It seems pretty obvious Manny is going to be shopped at the deadline so pray to whoever you want that he stays healthy.

Well, they can't be as stupid as us.

18 hours ago, alaniee said:

Since Buck at FanFest, confirmed that Manny will be playing SS and Beckham will be playing 3B, what are y'alls thoughts?

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/22233464/baltimore-orioles-play-manny-machado-ss-move-tim-beckham-3b

Is it possible that this is the Orioles attempt to "up" Manny's trade value since SS's are generally considered more valuable than 3B?

Trying to make Manny "happy" by giving him SS since it's what he's wanted all along?

Thoughts?

I think Buck is full of it. Beans that is. Manny won't be in Baltimore in 2019. So why do they cowtow to him? It is ridiculous. Maybe it's coming from Mount Angelos. Goodness what an organization. 

7 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I think Buck is full of it. Beans that is. Manny won't be in Baltimore in 2019. So why do they cowtow to him? It is ridiculous. Maybe it's coming from Mount Angelos. Goodness what an organization. 

Well, if he gets hurt at all, he will probably accept the qualifying offer. 

10 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

Positives I see for us:

• Manny plays his natural position, where he has always wanted to play
  • Manny touches the ball more
  • Beckham touches the ball less

Positive I see for Manny:

• He is not an elite hitting 3B. His career OPS of .805 would have ranked 14th among qualifying 3B last season. He's tried bulking up and hitting more home runs. It worked out in 2016, but not last season. He is a great defensive 3B and an average offensive 3B.
  • That same .805 career OPS would have ranked 4th among all qualifying SS last season, just .03 behind Elvis Andrus. We might find out this year that Manny is an elite SS, offensively and defensively. That would increase the likelihood that he will be signed to play SS (where he wants to play) and improve his chances of one day making it into the HOF. 

Wonder what Earl would say to Manny? Might tell that Primma Donna that baseball is a team sport. Buck and DD need to learn that too. Or be reminded of it. 

9 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

If Manny plays Gold Glove level defense at SS, then I think it does help his value (potentially broadens the number of teams that could use him, etc.). But that's a pretty big "if" at this point. It will be entertaining to watch, at least for a while. I'm not a big fan of Beckham's defense and am not confident he will be a good 3B. 

Didn't DD sign Tim to a three year contract? If Buck doesn't like his defense at SS then that's another mess up between DD and Buck. It's bad when the GM and manager aren't on the same page. Tim would be better with repetition. IMO 

8 hours ago, NJOriolesFan said:

Maybe this is less about manny and more about our future without him.  Seeing if Beckham can play 3rd well gives us options next year.  If he does well there we can go after either a shortstop OR a 3rd baseman next offseason.  It gives us flexibility.  Or when manny leaves maybe Schoop plays short and we have an option to look for a second baseman.

Well that's a pretty good idea you have. Never thought of that. 

3 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Didn't DD sign Tim to a three year contract? If Buck doesn't like his defense at SS then that's another mess up between DD and Buck. It's bad when the GM and manager aren't on the same page. Tim would be better with repetition. IMO 

No.

Tim is still under team control.  He's an arbitration eligible player.

There's a reason players don't typically move from 3B to SS as they get older. I'm sure he might be able to play SS, but I'm very skeptical about him being a better defensive SS then he is 3B. Full disclosure, I think Beckham is better suited for a super utility role then he is an everyday player. 

Just now, Tx Oriole said:

It probably won't be fun watching Beckham at 3rd. 

It wasn't fun watching him play short. Can't imagine it being fun watching him play defense at any position. Probably would be more fun to watch him play a corner outfield position instead of Trumpbo, imo, even with no experience out there.

It was fun watching him hit last year. His value lays more in his offensive potential than his defense.

14 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

There's a reason players don't typically move from 3B to SS as they get older. I'm sure he might be able to play SS, but I'm very skeptical about him being a better defensive SS then he is 3B. Full disclosure, I think Beckham is better suited for a super utility role then he is an everyday player. 

Super Utility worked out very well for former shortstop Ben Zobrist.

Archived