Tim Beckham is saying and doing all the right things

Frobby

1 hour ago, Beef Supreme said:

Saying all the right things, huh? That didn't last long.

“If you give me the opportunity to play every day, I think I’m the best shortstop in baseball,” Beckham said this month after a workout on the back fields behind Ed Smith Stadium.  -- New York Times February 26, 2018

False bravado? Looks like a dig at the Orioles organization to me. I don't like it.

Or worse, maybe Beckham lacks self-awareness. Does he not critically review game video? Ten years of professional baseball and his footwork is still not as good as many of the best high school shortstops. Maybe the reason his fundamentals are sloppy is that he never dedicated himself to working hard enough through all those years in the minors to improve. Why would he have to when he is "the best shortstop in baseball?"

Starting to sound like Tampa Beckham: arrogant, delusional and pissed off.

Weird... why would the New York Times be reporting this? 

To stir up discord among the Orioles fanbase, obviously. >:(

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having read the article, I think you really have to strain credulity to interpret Beckham’s remarks as a dig at the Orioles.   Clearly, he was referring to his sporadic playing time in Tampa and nothing else.    I do think he’s a bit delusional to think he’d be the best SS in the league if given regular playing time, but as others have said, I don’t mind a guy being self-confident.

Here's the full article: 10 Years After He Went No. 1, Tim Beckham Can See Himself At the Top.

For those wondering what question Beckham was answering... the article implies it was an answer to "Why do you wear jersey #1?" The rest of the quote:

“Everyone has their own opinion, but I feel like that 1 on my back is the confidence I have in myself. It’s a reminder that when I put my jersey on every day, you need to be the best person on the field.”

33 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Here's the full article: 10 Years After He Went No. 1, Tim Beckham Can See Himself At the Top.

For those wondering what question Beckham was answering... the article implies it was an answer to "Why do you wear jersey #1?" The rest of the quote:

Thanks, that provides a fairer context for his remarks about "best SS."

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Having read the article, I think you really have to strain credulity to interpret Beckham’s remarks as a dig at the Orioles.   Clearly, he was referring to his sporadic playing time in Tampa and nothing else.    I do think he’s a bit delusional to think he’d be the best SS in the league if given regular playing time, but as others have said, I don’t mind a guy being self-confident.

Often, when things happen within a short period of time, we conflate the importance. Sure, Beckham got moved off of shortstop by the Orioles four weeks ago and now he says that he is the best shortstop in baseball "if only some team would play me there everyday." He is directing that comment at the Rays, it is clear.

A mineral laxative can help with the straining.

2 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

Do you now believe that was the question he was asked: "Why do you wear #1?"

Yes, it seems pretty clear from the first three paragraphs. BTW, here's another quote from the article that makes him seem like a good fit for Baltimore, LOL:

If he heated up food in the microwave, Beckham said, he would try to make a pitcher of Kool-Aid before the timer went off.

Kinda says it all about 2018 especially, right? :P

4 hours ago, PaulFolk said:

How did you get all this from that one quote? From all reports, Beckham has been working hard at his defense with the Orioles.

I don't mind the guy having confidence in himself. It certainly doesn't mean he's not putting in the work.

Beckham is a fine young man who will be an Oriole for many seasons. Some folks have a thing against him. Maybe because he smoked some weed. 

21 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

Do you now believe that was the question he was asked: "Why do you wear #1?"

19 hours ago, now said:

Yes, it seems pretty clear from the first three paragraphs.

That assumption can't even be qualified as a "leap of logic." There could be hundreds of questions that would lead Beckham into preening about how he is #1. But I am dubious that an NYT sports reporter would come up with such a piece of $hit question like, "Why do you wear #1?" That's a weak question for a highschool reporter to ask.

18 hours ago, weams said:

Beckham is a fine young man who will be an Oriole for many seasons. Some folks have a thing against him. Maybe because he smoked some weed. 

And it's a crying shame that Tampa appeared to sour on him because of failing a test he wouldn't be subject to at the MLB level. My opinion is that Tampa punished him far beyond the suspension that he received. He resented how Tampa reacted following the failed urinalysis, it seems. And both parties continued to be mistrustful of each other during his Tampa tenure. That lingering resentment from both sides is what prompted Tampa to toss Beckham away, imo. I hope he is not carrying over any of those feelings against the Rays to the Orioles. But I still think this would have been a good time for Beckham to talk about becoming the best thirdbaseman in the league rather than dwelling on how he could be the best shortstop if only his past employer or his current employer would play him at that position.

Just a bit of trivia...DD do like him the former number 1s...particularly the 2008 draft as we now have the number 1 and 2...Beckham and Pedro..we then sandwiched .our number 4 Brian Matusz in between Eric Hosmer and Buster Posey, but also Andrew Cashner was the first round pick of the Cubs that year..

Ryan Flaherty and Wade Miley were supplemental picks  that year

Oh what a vintage...if we sign Lynn, he was a supplemental that year too. 

18 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

And it's a crying shame that Tampa appeared to sour on him because of failing a test he wouldn't be subject to at the MLB level. My opinion is that Tampa punished him far beyond the suspension that he received. He resented how Tampa reacted following the failed urinalysis, it seems. And both parties continued to be mistrustful of each other during his Tampa tenure. That lingering resentment from both sides is what prompted Tampa to toss Beckham away, imo. I hope he is not carrying over any of those feelings against the Rays to the Orioles. But I still think this would have been a good time for Beckham to talk about becoming the best thirdbaseman in the league rather than dwelling on how he could be the best shortstop if only his past employer or his current employer would play him at that position.

Did not Manny continue to dream about SS and even talk about it some when he was all world at 3rd?

I don't see this as a big deal. 

21 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

I hope he is not carrying over any of those feelings against the Rays to the Orioles. But I still think this would have been a good time for Beckham to talk about becoming the best thirdbaseman in the league rather than dwelling on how he could be the best shortstop if only his past employer or his current employer would play him at that position.

Yes, that would have been better.   But I still don’t think he was taking a shot at the Orioles.     He’ll be happy playing everyday regardless of which position he’s at.

Archived