Will Girardi replace Buck?

weams

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll never understand quite why Buck accepted the job because I don't think he was THAT unpopular. But I'm glad he did, and we were all extremely lucky for it. It's why any thought of deviating away from Buck seems like lunacy to me. For any fault you find with him, he's been basically as rock solid as you could hope for. And he gets Baltimore, or at least tries hard to. Why change that? There's maybe a 3 or 4 who could be considered better than him or on his level. Hopefully he wants to stay and we extend him. 

Because the grass is not often greener.

43 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

I agree.  Joe G would never put up with the O's nonsense.  The only way it could be slightly possible would be to pay back the Yankees.

Sorry, but at present, the Orioles don't appear to be structured to "pay back" anyone.

14 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's really not, though. Like, at all. 

From the Orioles standpoint, he was a preferred choice before. From Joe's, he is no longer young when it is cool to be. And has no job.  And the Orioles are in the East. And a team. With a job. 

16 minutes ago, weams said:

From the Orioles standpoint, he was a preferred choice before. From Joe's, he is no longer young when it is cool to be. And has no job.  And the Orioles are in the East. And a team. With a job. 

He was a preferred choice eight years ago in 2010 - who's to say if that's the case now? He does, in fact, have a job and I'd argue it's a nice change of pace for him considering the reason he resigned or forced out was that he burned out, quite visibly and audibly. I disagree that the East matters one bit (see Joe Maddon). It's about the organization. Is the organization and team in a good place to come in and win a championship? Why else would he come back after being burned out? To win, that's the only reason.

Girardi enjoyed the Yankees being able to not only just buy good players, but trade aggressively for them, and he's had a mostly stellar farm system to help. I can't see him even considering a job working under Peter Angelos, who won't even buy the games' worst starting rotation a #3 starter. Tanaka was a good starter for Joe. That kind of player isn't even possible for the Orioles to acquire because of their organizational philosophy.

Sorry, but Joe Girardi wouldn't touch this organization with a 10-foot pole, I don't care HOW much he wants to get back in the game, which is extremely debatable as it is.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

He was a preferred choice eight years ago in 2010 - who's to say if that's the case now?

It was in 2007, not 2010.   In 2010 Girardi was already managing the Yankees.    In mid-2007, the O’s fired Perlozzo at about the same time they hired MacPhail, and that’s when they talked to Girardi, who turned them down.   

20 hours ago, Frobby said:

It was in 2007, not 2010.   In 2010 Girardi was already managing the Yankees.    In mid-2007, the O’s fired Perlozzo at about the same time they hired MacPhail, and that’s when they talked to Girardi, who turned them down.   

Thanks for the correction. Was even longer than I thought. 

20 hours ago, Frobby said:

Going back and rereading old articles from them, it sounds like they were further along the hiring process than I remember, when Giradi came back and turned down the job, saying it wasn't the right timing for him and his family and all that talk about how much he loved the town of Baltimore, yada yada yada.

Archived