Rowell's demeanor tonight

Anlbdz

He is just a kid, but it usually takes traumatic experiences to change personality traits. As long as he stays a hard worker, listens to his coaches and does what they say, and doesn't sulk (which I have no idea if he does or doesn't), then he can reach his potential - which I think is overrated, but that seems to be beside the points being made. It's gotta help to have guys like Weiters and Arietta around - I would think.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cockiness in and of itself is fine if he can back it up. So far, it would seem he has nothing to be cocky about, which is annoying at a minumum, and a severe detriment to his development in a worst case scenario.

Nothing to be cocky about? Do you know how many 19 year olds there are playing high-A ball? There are four in the entire Carolina League. I am not saying Rowell is tearing up the league, but he is performing at a league-average level and he is 3-4 years younger than the average player in the league. Hes playing at Frederick at the same age Nick Markakis was when Nick was at Aberdeen. So yeah, I can understand why Rowell is a bit cocky.

So long as he has a good work ethic, which Tony says he does, then I'm not going to worry too much about Rowell's cockiness.

Actually, I must correct an earlier post I made on this thread regarding Cal Jr and how he behaved as a young player. I recall hearing that Cal once threw down his bat in disgust at a bad called third strike during his rookie season and was ejected from the game (I believe) and Ken Singleton approached him afterwards and asked him pointedly if that is how he wanted to be viewed as a player or would he rather be viewed as a more classy individual who kept his emotions in check at all times. Cal apparently took the classy Singleton's talk to heart. I think that both Singelton and Eddie Murray along with his Dad had a huge impact on Cal. Perhaps, this aspect is not being passed on to the players of this day and age as much as it used to be?

Nothing to be cocky about? Do you know how many 19 year olds there are playing high-A ball? There are four in the entire Carolina League. I am not saying Rowell is tearing up the league, but he is performing at a league-average level and he is 3-4 years younger than the average player in the league. Hes playing at Frederick at the same age Nick Markakis was when Nick was at Aberdeen. So yeah, I can understand why Rowell is a bit cocky.

So long as he has a good work ethic, which Tony says he does, then I'm not going to worry too much about Rowell's cockiness.

Al Kaline was playing in the Major Leagues at age 19 as was (I believe) Robin Yount. Yet, I never heard that they were known for being extremely cocky. They certainly had every right to be and then some.

Not "everyone" is arrogant, and cocky at age 19. I never heard anything to ever indicate Cal Ripken Jr. acted that way. A young player can be confident without being arrogant. Adam Jones also comes across as confident but completely without arrogance or cockiness. Garrett Olson also comes across as confident but very down to earth and likeable.

OH no. I'm sure none of them EVER argued balls and strikes. I'm sure none of them glared at an ump or got tossed from a game ever!

Rowell's a 19-year old kid playing at a level where 19-year olds don't generally play. WHO CARES if Kaline and Yount played in the bigs at 19? The fact that those are the two best examples you can give me proves that it DOESN'T HAPPEN OFTEN!

And please. Yount had a rep for being incredibly cocky in his younger days. And, I'm sure, argued balls and strikes just as much as everyone else does.

You took this poster's report on Rowell and just absolutely ran with it. It's one person's opinion. And for that matter, I really don't care if Rowell has a reputation for being a jerk. As long as he can hit the ball well and field his position well, I'm happy. He wouldn't be the first jerk on the Orioles in my lifetime. I guarantee you he won't be the last.

My brother has season tix at Delmarva and speaks with various ballpark personell there regularly. Even though Rowell's moved on, a few of the Delmarva people still talk about what a jerk Rowell was.

This is what I was worried about hearing, although it certainly should come as no surprise. Again, the word gets around and it cannot help but have a negative impact on his development unless he changes his image and the perception of it by others. He has time to do so. Again, I wish there were some older players around who would set down with this kid like Singleton did with Cal Jr. That would be invaluable IMHO.

OH no. I'm sure none of them EVER argued balls and strikes. I'm sure none of them glared at an ump or got tossed from a game ever!

Rowell's a 19-year old kid playing at a level where 19-year olds don't generally play. WHO CARES if Kaline and Yount played in the bigs at 19? The fact that those are the two best examples you can give me proves that it DOESN'T HAPPEN OFTEN!

And please. Yount had a rep for being incredibly cocky in his younger days. And, I'm sure, argued balls and strikes just as much as everyone else does.

You took this poster's report on Rowell and just absolutely ran with it. It's one person's opinion. And for that matter, I really don't care if Rowell has a reputation for being a jerk. As long as he can hit the ball well and field his position well, I'm happy. He wouldn't be the first jerk on the Orioles in my lifetime. I guarantee you he won't be the last.

I don't care if he's a jerk either later on if he proves himself to be a sucess at the ML leve. But being one this early in his "developmental" stages is to me somewhat of a cause for concern. It may have a negative impact on his career. Read the post above yours by "WhyNot," as it appears what I am worrying about may already be occurring.

My brother has season tix at Delmarva and speaks with various ballpark personell there regularly. Even though Rowell's moved on, a few of the Delmarva people still talk about what a jerk Rowell was.

This sort of subtantiates my concerns. Thanks for posting it.

By the way, I've talked with Rowell a few times and have never found him to be a jerk. I've heard the stories about him in the past, but I've also heard that he gets along well with his current teammates.

The tag for this thread:

"ignorance"

Hilarious. I highly doubt that is referring to Rowell.

I'm glad you liked it!

This sort of subtantiate my concerns. Thanks for posting it.

It's one thing to be concerned, it's another to draw definitive conclusions about the future performance and attitude of a 19 year old kid based on this piece of information. Like with your ignorant Luke Scott analysis I now have a new motivation for Rowell to succeed!

Archived