O's Pitching Puzzle - Rule 5 and Options Edition

mdbdotcom

Right now, the pitching staff looks like this.

Rotation

• Gausman
  • Bundy
  • Cashner
  • ?
  • ?

Bullpen

• Brach
  • O'Day
  • Givens
  • Bleier
  • ?
  • ?
  • ?

Most of the discussion here about pitching has focused on improving the rotation, and for good reason. 

As the O's put together the pitching staff, they will also be mindful of two preferences of theirs:

1. Keeping at least one (and maybe two) of the Rule 5 pitchers. There has been a lot of positive talk about Cortes and Mesa. 
  2. Having at least two pitchers with options in the bullpen so fresh arms can be brought up when needed without exposing players to waivers. This may be more of a "must have" than just a preference. I believe Castro has an option remaining. I'm not sure about others.

So, the over-arching question is, how do the O's complete the puzzle? Other questions include:

• If they want to keep both Cortes and Mesa, will they be able to?
  • Will having an option force Castro to the bullpen?
  • Are there other pitchers with options in camp now who are strong candidates for the bullpen or do we need to add one or two? 
  • If Cortes makes the rotation, who will be the second lefty in the pen? Is it possible that the need for a lefty in the pen forces him out of the rotation?

Having three spots set now, instead of two, sets up some much more attractive scenarios.

For example, it allows hedging the question marks we have, e.g.

spot 4: Cortes 50% chance, plus other 50% chance divided by 3: Ynoa, Mesa, Wright...

spot 5: Tillman (if signed and effective in spring) or Castro (if effective as starter or brought up later from Norfolk)... leading to Harvey call-up later in season if deemed ready and effective... or another dark horse or later signing...

Of course another impact signing or trade bumps the above options down a notch further; but we're a lot closer now than a week ago.

1 hour ago, backwardsk said:

Castro does have an option.  My bet is he starts 2018 in Norfolk's rotation.

I agree it's a legitimate possibility with the O's, but I also think it makes no sense.  He's too good to send to the minors.  I think the O's have a gem there and should let him shine - as a starter.  Maybe he has a rough outing or 2 early on, but so what?    

56 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Gausman, Bundy, Cashner, Cortes, Ynoa

Brach, Givens, O'Day, Wright, Bleier, Mesa (I think Mesa and Ynoa trade places at some point), Hart/Joely Rodriguez/Liriano (FA)

Castro starts in AAA as a starter.

Buck and Dan are in win now mode.   I can't see them sending Castro down unless he has a real bad spring.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Buck and Dan are in win now mode.   I can't see them sending Castro down unless he has a real bad spring.

You don't start Castro if you are in win-now mode.  Yeah, I could see him in the bullpen, but I don't think anyone is seriously in win-now mode, maybe Buck trying to make the best of what he has. I think DD wants to sell but isn't being allowed to, that's my best guess as to what is going on.

5 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

You don't start Castro if you are in win-now mode.  Yeah, I could see him in the bullpen, but I don't think anyone is seriously in win-now mode, maybe Buck trying to make the best of what he has. I think DD wants to sell but isn't being allowed to, that's my best guess as to what is going on.

They are not done adding yet.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

They are not done adding yet.

That's possible, but I'll believe they are going for it this year when they sacrifice future performance for present talent. I don't think Cashner counts, that was just a rotation stabilization move, not a competitive move. 

Archived