Why not Lucroy?

Just Regular

9 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Thanks! No rush. That would be interesting to see.

Seems like there have been a higher than normal influx of rookies -- from Machado to Harper to Arenado to Correa and Bryant and so on -- over the past five years than there used to be. Is there data about the impact of rookies per capita over the decades?

I faintly remember a fangraphs article about rookies being more ready from a young age in recent years, but I could be mistaken. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I faintly remember a fangraphs article about rookies being more ready from a young age in recent years, but I could be mistaken.

Also, it's possibly a matter of perception, resulting from increased access to so many more baseball details than were available 25 or 50 or 75 or 100 years ago.

Or maybe it is that, on average, every team has/has had one (1) "breakthrough rookie" each year, if breakthrough rookie is defined by "1.5 fWAR/600 PA or better."

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

So the fact that our starters’ ERA was like two runs/game higher with Castillo compared to Joseph is a coincidence in your view?    In my opinion, that’s too drastic of a difference to have been coincidental.  

It was reported in another thread that Castillo was always calling fastballs to help shut down the running game.  Is there any truth to that.  He would have been boosting his throw out numbers and no one believes in that catcher ERA thing anyway. :confused:

6 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Makes sense. Plus you don’t have the roid heads being all stars through age 40 anymore. Teams want to play guys that are actually in their athletic prime and not falling apart. Steroids are a helluva drug. 

5 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

It was reported in another thread that Castillo was always calling fastballs to help shut down the running game.  Is there any truth to that.  He would have been boosting his throw out numbers and no one believes in that catcher ERA thing anyway. :confused:

Man if MLB pitchers aren’t shaking off a C then there are deeper problems at play. Plus, our pitchers had such horrible command last year that he could still call fastballs and have no idea where they were going. In the dirt, 1 foot inside/outside, right down the middle  

We had three vet P’s last year that logged 400ish innings and made $50 million. Castillo is not the problem they were literally the worst starting trio in MLB. 

He called so many fastballs yet Ubaldo and Miley stayed being behind in the count 2-0, 3-1, last year. That’s pathetic. 

18 minutes ago, weams said:

Al Kaline never played a single game in the minor leagues. Not one!

And won the batting title at age 20, his second full season. 13 consecutive AS appearances. 10 Gold Gloves. Southern High School's finest. Perhaps the 2nd best Baltimore native in MLB history.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived