Something has to be done with Mark Trumbo

interloper

Look how much better the lineup looks without Trumbo against RHP. This is today's lineup.

Colby Rasmus RF
Trey Mancini 1B
Manny Machado SS
Adam Jones CF
Jonathan Schoop 2B
Pedro Álvarez DH
Tim Beckham 3B
Chance Sisco C
Anthony Santander LF

Obviously, there's no Davis which allows Santander to get in there, so that wouldn't be the norm. But without Trumbo you can have Rasmus, Davis, and Alvarez as 3 pretty good left-handed regulars, and then you could mix in Santander and Sisco and suddenly you have a potent lineup versus RHP.

I really, really dislike Trumbo. Lol. 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, interloper said:

I want to see both.

Wall to wall homers and some .400 hitters?  That's never happened before.  The closest was the 1920s and 1930s.  Averages were very high, and some people hit a lot of homers.  But it was all unbalanced.  Random example... 1933 A's.  Jimmy Foxx hit .356/.449/.703 with 48 homers and 163 RBI.  No one else on the team hit more than 21 homers, and the A's were 2nd in the league in homers.  That same year the Reds hit 34 homers as a team, led by Jim Bottomley's 13.

Trivia of the day: There has never been a season in MLB history where a batting average qualifier hit .400 and the average team hit 100 homers.  In 1930 Bill Terry hit .401, and the average team hit 97 homers.  That was the closest.

You might like some of the seasons in the Mexican League.  In 2000 the league hit .297, and they hit over a homer a game.  Ivan Cruz hit .402 with 20 homers in 51 games, and Warren Newson hit .386/.496/.734 with 39 homers in 112 games.  The next year 42-year-old Julio Franco hit .437/.497/.678 with 18 homers in 110 games. In 2006 Derrick White hit .407.  In 2007 Carlos Rivera hit .410.  Luis Suarez (not the biter) hit .413 in '13.  In '14 Sandy Madera hit .403 with 26 homers.

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I really, really dislike Trumbo. Lol. 

Do you dislike his personality, or just his baseball playing abilities?   And did you dislike him in 2016?

I find nothing dislikable about Trumbo the person.    I dislike his defense, and I will dislike it if he puts up a .686 OPS like he did last year.    If he can get back in the .750+ range, I’ll be okay with it, even if not thrilled.   

Just now, Frobby said:

Do you dislike his personality, or just his baseball playing abilities?   And did you dislike him in 2016?

I find nothing dislikable about Trumbo the person.    I dislike his defense, and I will dislike it if he puts up a .686 OPS like he did last year.    If he can get back in the .750+ range, I’ll be okay with it, even if not thrilled.   

Right now, I mostly dislike that he's the one thing keeping the team from having a really cool lineup. I mean the pieces are all there for these mega-platoons to deal maximum damage. Valencia! Alvarez! Maybe Walker! Trumbo is clogging the roster and you know Buck is sitting there knowing he has better options against RHP and can't do anything. It's annoying. 

Of course I loved his 2016 and I didn't hate the signing at the time.

I don't like that he basically killed the pies (though I realize that's somewhat unconfirmed) and I don't like his attitude in interviews. I'm sure he's a fine guy. I'm mainly annoyed that we already have the pieces to have a better lineup in camp and can't do anything about it.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Right now, I mostly dislike that he's the one thing keeping the team from having a really cool lineup. I mean the pieces are all there for these mega-platoons to deal maximum damage. Valencia! Alvarez! Maybe Walker! Trumbo is clogging the roster and you know Buck is sitting there knowing he has better options against RHP and can't do anything. It's annoying. 

Who is Walker?

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Neil Walker. Rumored interest in him.

Not happening. 

As far as Trumbo....if you’re relegated to actively rooting for his failure and he does fail, it certainly won’t help the team. And we know Buck won’t sit him.

If Trumbo is awful from the start the best any of us can hope for is a swift replacement. I’ll say Buck gives him eight weeks at least. That is probably a conservative estimate.

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

Not happening. 

As far as Trumbo....if you’re relegated to actively rooting for his failure and he does fail, it certainly won’t help the team. And we know Buck won’t sit him.

If Trumbo is awful from the start the best any of us can hope for is a swift replacement. I’ll say Buck gives him eight weeks at least. That is probably a conservative estimate.

All fair points. I'm not rooting for him to fail so much as I'm just frustrated that better options exist right now on the spring roster. Today's lineup is so much fun! Look at it!

I understand there's not much to be done and in that sense, I hope he puts up 2016 numbers, obviously.

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

All fair points. I'm not rooting for him to fail so much as I'm just frustrated that better options exist right now on the spring roster. Today's lineup is so much fun! Look at it!

I understand there's not much to be done and in that sense, I hope he puts up 2016 numbers, obviously.

Yeah, a lineup without Davis and Trumbo is much easier to digest. I think I’ll be feeling ill when the season starts.

4 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Yeah, a lineup without Davis and Trumbo is much easier to digest. I think I’ll be feeling ill when the season starts.

It really is funny how much settling the feeling you get when you don't see Davis and Trumbo in a lineup. It's like my blood pressure goes down. lol

Guess we can put this down under the shortest book ever written, "How to wisely spend $35 million a year on a successful 1B/DH combo" by the Orioles.

Notice I didn't say Duquette. Davis was a Buck move from what I heard. Not sure about Trumbo.

Archived