A few thoughts as spring training starts to get serious

Frobby

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I haven't heard any trade talk about Flaherty.  Only if he gets released.  And then the O's probably wait until he passes through waivers because the O's probably will not pay him 1.9m plus incentives.

He's on a minor league contract. If he opts out (as he will if he isn't going to make the team) he will be a free agent and any team could negotiate a deal with him. No team would have to wait for him to pass through waivers or pick up his incentives. The incentives built into his Phillies deal would transfer only if he is traded, which isn't going to happen.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I haven't heard any trade talk about Flaherty.  Only if he gets released.  And then the O's probably wait until he passes through waivers because the O's probably will not pay him 1.9m plus incentives.

I meant that if they pick up their option.

That is why I worded it that way.

Just like folks kept wanting to trade for Markakis.

10 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

He's on a minor league contract. If he opts out (as he will if he isn't going to make the team) he will be a free agent and any team could negotiate a deal with him. No team would have to wait for him to pass through waivers or pick up his incentives. The incentives built into his Phillies deal would transfer only if he is traded, which isn't going to happen.

Good points.  Thanks

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not since Markakis has left have I seen folks so enamored with a former player that is employed by another team.

I'm not going to have to read let's trade X to the Phillies for Flaherty posts all year am I?

You’ve never appreciated his talents.

8 minutes ago, Ripken said:

I just... watching Davis... it's awful.  And we signed him forever.  :bangwall:

2 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

It’s actually not that long, only somewhere in the next decade.

I don't get the grief, Davis has already set an all time record since signing the deal.

What more do you want?

Just now, weams said:

Honest? I still think Sisco is the chosen one. 

I couldn't care less about Sisco in this situation. I just can't see how Susac is a better option than Wynns to remain in camp.

The only thing I can think of is that Susac will stick around until the end and be DFA'ed, because Sisco isn't going to be sent down now and Susac isn't going down as a back up in the minors.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I couldn't care less about Sisco in this situation. I just can't see how Susac is a better option than Wynns to remain in camp.

The only thing I can think of is that Susac will stick around until the end and be DFA'ed, because Sisco isn't going to be sent down now and Susac isn't going down as a back up in the minors.

Susac has an option.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I do not see them having 4 catchers on the 40, option or not. Especially with the pitching issues and space needed for potentially Alvarez, Rasmus, Valencia, and a pitcher (Edgin or Ramierez.)

60 day DL Trumbo. Send back Mesa. DFA Donnie Hart.