Trumbo out 3-4 weeks

Greg

17 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Yep, Melewski just confirmed that. Hello Alvarez.

Also, with Mountcastle breaking a bone in his right (throwing) hand...I really wonder how this will impact him at 3rd this season.

They said he’s out 4-6 weeks, so May 1 at the outside.    That shouldn’t impact him too badly.    He got in an extra 2 weeks that he wouldn’t have had at minor league camp.   

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I honestly have wanted that answer for years.  It seemingly was raised then swept under the rug because nobody could answer it (please correct me if I'm wrong).

IIRC (heavy qualifier there) Jones and Markakis were both worse at OPACY than on the road, especially Markakis (as well as relative to eye test of insiders).  Further, visitors seemed to be dinged there as well.  

I believe one of the defensive stat gurus attempted to answer this question.   First El Gordo asked the question on BillJamesOnline and got some half-baked answer from someone (Clay Davenport, maybe) and then someone else attempted an answer the next spring, either in the BP Annual or in the Fielding Bible.     I don’t recall the answers except to say the authors did not admit there was anything wrong with their methodology that had shown Markakis and Jones had done better on the road than at home, and I remember not being too impressed with the quality of the research.    But that may be because they didn’t tell me what I wanted to hear!

Edit:  Here’s the discussion from BillJamesOnline: https://www.billjamesonline.com/playing_the_oufield_in_camden_yards/.   The answer was from John Dewan, and note Tom Tango’s question at the bottom.    Then Dewan gave a longer treatment in The Fielding Bible Vol. III that found visiting fielders did worse at OPACY than elsewhere, but not enough to explain the poor grades of Jones and Markakis.

The player to replace Trumbo is Sardinas.     

Trumbo's injury gives Santander a place to play.  Whether Mancini plays left or DH.  Having Santander get at bats  at LF or DH instead of sitting the bench is the first priority.

Valencia can be a back up corner OF/1B/3B/DH vs lefties.   But when  he DH there is no backup  UIF.   That is where Sardinas comes in.  

Santander and Valencia get the playing time that Trumbo would have gotten.  Sardinas gives the O's better depth in the infield.

From Roch Today

"Trumbo and Davis are a combined 5-for-36 and both are injured. This isn’t how the Orioles envisioned the spring unfolding for two players who are critical to their chances of escaping last place and making a serious run at a playoff berth.

Can’t have a bounceback season on the training table."

Could they be the worst two contracts the O's have signed in years? Starting to look a lot like the Ubaldo Dud?  :(

17 minutes ago, TouchemAll said:

From Roch Today

"Trumbo and Davis are a combined 5-for-36 and both are injured. This isn’t how the Orioles envisioned the spring unfolding for two players who are critical to their chances of escaping last place and making a serious run at a playoff berth.

Could they be the worst two contracts the O's have signed in years? Starting to look a lot like the Ubaldo Dud?  :(

Thank Brady and Angelos for Davis for all those wanting Brady to oust DD....that is what the future holds...

Davis needs protection (why Cruz was so logical but I digress...). We overpaid for Trumbo but it wasn't an awful contract at the time honestly. Not in comparison to Davis anyways. I am not that upset by the Trumbo contract.

I know people are frustrated with Trumbo but he really spiraled down quickly. Does anyone have any thoughts what has caused this? I saw him the other day and he looks awful at the plate.

11 minutes ago, TouchemAll said:

From Roch Today

Davis’ contract is almost certainly the worst contract the Orioles have ever done.   It’s by far the most expensive and the longest, and they aren’t getting good value in the earliest years, which in theory should be the best ones.   To make matters worse, that money isn’t available to  make a downpayment  on the one player everyone knows they should have made the maximimun effort to keep.   

38 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The player to replace Trumbo is Sardinas.     

Trumbo's injury gives Santander a place to play.  Whether Mancini plays left or DH.  Having Santander get at bats  at LF or DH instead of sitting the bench is the first priority.

Valencia can be a back up corner OF/1B/3B/DH vs lefties.   But when  he DH there is no backup  UIF.   That is where Sardinas comes in.  

Santander and Valencia get the playing time that Trumbo would have gotten.  Sardinas gives the O's better depth in the infield.

Unless we get Flaherty back. 

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So what happens if Alvarez makes the team instead of Trumbo and gets off to a hot start?    That makes things interesting once Trumbo is healthy.   

Excellent question I don't see how he doesn't make the roster, I mean isn't this the exact reason he was brought in? It sure will be interesting if he's stroking it. Trumbo has looked awful with no clue up there even when healthy since the end of last season JMHO

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I believe one of the defensive stat gurus attempted to answer this question.   First El Gordo asked the question on BillJamesOnline and got some half-baked answer from someone (Clay Davenport, maybe) and then someone else attempted an answer the next spring, either in the BP Annual or in the Fielding Bible.     I don’t recall the answers except to say the authors did not admit there was anything wrong with their methodology that had shown Markakis and Jones had done better on the road than at home, and I remember not being too impressed with the quality of the research.    But that may be because they didn’t tell me what I wanted to hear!

Edit:  Here’s the discussion from BillJamesOnline: https://www.billjamesonline.com/playing_the_oufield_in_camden_yards/.   The answer was from John Dewan, and note Tom Tango’s question at the bottom.    Then Dewan gave a longer treatment in The Fielding Bible Vol. III that found visiting fielders did worse at OPACY than elsewhere, but not enough to explain the poor grades of Jones and Markakis.

Thank you for sharing/updating on this.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm sure he will need a rehab stint in the minors.

Keep him down long enough for O's fans to mentally rehab from watching him last season.  ...until we're no longer waking up in a cold sweat from a recurring nightmare about him playing the OF.  

Archived