Cobb only thread

interloper

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, tntoriole said:

30 GM jobs in the entire country and you think nobody will be interested.  Even from  assistants who have spent their entire career trying to get to that level.  I disagree. Completely.   Plus the argument presumes that time will just continue to stand still forever for this owner forever and ever and ever and that it will never change, never, never, never.   I think that is pretty unlikely. 

If the Orioles' last GM search is any indication, a lot of candidates don't find the idea of working for Angelos very appealing. Remember Tony La Cava, who was interested in the job but then withdrew his name from consideration after having a face-to-face meeting with Angelos? I think there were also some other assistant GM types who declined an interview, like De Jon Watson.

That doesn't mean nobody will be interested, of course. But the list of great, qualified candidates probably won't be as long as you expect. People all around baseball have seen how Orioles GMs have to operate with one hand tied behind their back (i.e., not allowed to sign international amateurs, not allowed to post for Japanese players, frequently being undermined by other people in the FO who have Angelos' ear, etc.). Some people might prefer to stay at their current jobs than to be a GM in such a restrictive situation.

5 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

You have any sources to back this up with, or are you just trolling along?

What part of "I think" don't you understand? Your reading skills are as poor as your syntax. Expressing an opinion isn't trolling. What you are doing here is.

17 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

If the Orioles' last GM search is any indication, a lot of candidates don't find the idea of working for Angelos very appealing. Remember Tony La Cava, who was interested in the job but then withdrew his name from consideration after having a face-to-face meeting with Angelos? I think there were also some other assistant GM types who declined an interview, like De Jon Watson.

That doesn't mean nobody will be interested, of course. But the list of great, qualified candidates probably won't be as long as you expect. People all around baseball have seen how Orioles GMs have to operate with one hand tied behind their back (i.e., not allowed to sign international amateurs, not allowed to post for Japanese players, frequently being undermined by other people in the FO who have Angelos' ear, etc.). Some people might prefer to stay at their current jobs than to be a GM in such a restrictive situation.

I thought they had problems getting the GM filled, and said as much previously, but Weams (no disrespect intended) doesn't remember it quite that way, and it appears, that your memory backs up my own.

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

Again...PA Is paying DD anyway...why sacrifice a year for this, if you are naming Buck GM, do it now, fire DD and move on.  Doing nothing...if you know that is what we are doing keeping DD and doing nothing all offseason would be moronic.  Oh wait....yep, you're probably right. ;) 

The off season isn't over yet. I don't assume we will do nothing.  I believe PA wants us to win now but within his stupid constraints. An impossible job for either Buck or Dan.' If Buck does become the GM next year it will be to rebuild.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

I thought they had problems getting the GM filled, and said as much previously, but Weams (no disrespect intended) doesn't remember it quite that way, and it appears, that your memory backs up my own.

I remember them having difficulty getting any of the top candidates at the time. But, it's still one of thirty jobs. Someone who is qualified will want it at some point. The Cleveland Browns keep finding GMs and coaches.

1 minute ago, weams said:

Heck, you may be right. I think we both believe that it is not 190 million.

I agree, it peaked last season, and i think that was a one time peak.

I have no complaints how the payroll amount, as they are a mid-market town, just believe they could do a better job with the funds allotted.

23 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

I believe there are 30 of these jobs and that the money is such that most folks would take the job if they are not current GMs or above. 

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

I agree, it peaked last season, and i think that was a one time peak.

I have no complaints how the payroll amount, as they are a mid-market town, just believe they could do a better job with the funds allotted.

I think the Diamondbacks would be a good example of how the team might be sustained. 

1 minute ago, theocean said:

I remember them having difficulty getting any of the top candidates at the time. But, it's still one of thirty jobs. Someone who is qualified will want it at some point. The Cleveland Browns keep finding GMs and coaches.

Coaches is easy, you just hit the recycle button and there are plenty of candidates out there, we saw that here in Baltimore before Buck arrived.

Archived