Camden Depot: Bundy's Second Half

weams

Saying that Bundy had a stronger second half is a bit of a misconception in my view.    He started the year with 10 quality starts in his first 11 outings, throwing to a 2.89 ERA in 71.2 IP.   Buck pushed him pretty hard in that stretch.    Then he hit a rough patch, 7.18 over 36.1 innings in 7 starts before the all star break.   After the all star break the O’s treated him with kid gloves and he pitched decently (4.09 ERA in 61.2 innings over 10 starts), but not as well as in those first 11 games.    

I think stamina was an issue as the season went along.   I’m not sure whether that’s just the big increase in workload from the year before, or whether it’s going to be a chronic thing.    Bundy works hard on the mound, he’s sweating like a pig out there.    He may not be cut out to throw a ton of innings.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Saying that Bundy had a stronger second half is a bit of a misconception in my view.    He started the year with 10 quality starts in his first 11 outings, throwing to a 2.89 ERA in 71.2 IP.   Buck pushed him pretty hard in that stretch.    Then he hit a rough patch, 7.18 over 36.1 innings in 7 starts before the all star break.   After the all star break the O’s treated him with kid gloves and he pitched decently (4.09 ERA in 61.2 innings over 10 starts), but not as well as in those first 11 games.    

I think stamina was an issue as the season went along.   I’m not sure whether that’s just the big increase in workload from the year before, or whether it’s going to be a chronic thing.    Bundy works hard on the mound, he’s sweating like a pig out there.    He may not be cut out to throw a ton of innings.   

Now that you mention it - I don't think I've ever seen a pitcher sweat more. It'd be 65 degrees out and Bundy would be drenched.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Frobby, honesty, I think its more than how Buck used him.

I think he had a dead arm period in July and he stunk.
Aug was a gem and he even did a CG in 5 starts.

Sept was 2 out of 3 clunkers and 1 nice outing.

He is still pretty young, and I am hoping, he is more up for tossing 180+ innings, this season

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Great assessment and I agree for the most part. I still think the lack of minor league innings developing his seasonal stamina was still a factor last year. If he has issues staying consistent all season this year than I'll have concerns about his ability throw a ton of innings, but then again, a ton of innings nowadays is 200.

1 hour ago, ACDC27 said:

I’m starting to think he’s going to be better as a late inning reliever.

I don't see any reason he can't stay a starter. He has four pitches, five if you count his slider and cutter as two pitches, holds his stuff to 100 pitches, and is a guy who thrives on 4 or 5 days rest. Last year was the most innings he's ever thrown in a season, prior to that it was less than a 100. This season should be the first season where he shouldn't have any innings limits.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Camden Depot: Where We Don't Know Jack

1 hour ago, ACDC27 said:

I’m starting to think he’s going to be better as a late inning reliever.

There are plenty of starters whose statistical ratios would improve if they pitched 2 - 3 outs over 2-3 appearances per week. That doesn't mean they would become "better" or more valuable in that role than they are as a starter. It's hard enough finding competent starters as it is. Why waste a competent starter by transferring him to the bullpen.

Who would prefer:
A) Bundy as a Starter, Mike Wright in the pen
B) Mike Wright as a starter, Bundy in the pen

40 minutes ago, weams said:

I prefer that we do not disparage local writers. Feel free to debate their arguments. If you are able. 

What about Orioles Anonymous?

I tend to think we shouldn’t look too much into Bundy’s second half issues. It was his first season over 110 innings his entire career. I wouldn’t even say him losing it at the end of this year is a red flag if he’s around 200 innings. He’s really learning how to be a full season SP at the ML level. 

Archived