Boswell thinks Harper and others will not get $400 million dollar contracts

Going Underground

2 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Cue the Debbie Downer music.  As a person who has Celiac Disease, I envy you - though the gluten alternatives are improving.    

Shame you have to be thankful for all those people with imaginary gluten intolerance for those alternatives. 

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Shame you have to be thankful for all those people with imaginary gluten intolerance for those alternatives. 

I'm sure they've helped with more and more restaurants including a gluten-free section, so I'm not complaining.  As long as people don't act like I'm some kind of wierdo when I say I can't have gluten, I'm fine.  There are plenty of good reasons to assume I'm wierd; gluten intolerance isn't one of them.  

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I used to think this way, but the recent prevalence of food allergies in a lot of people either means that it's just better awareness or the food is actually changed in a meaningful way to affect more people. Given how they genetically modify crops these days, I'm completely open to the idea that people aren't faking their allergies.

On 3/19/2018 at 3:20 PM, atomic said:

For family of 4 behind home plate with 60 dollar tickets comes to 275 dollars with convenience fee.  I would pay 20 bucks to park.  So I am at 295 just getting in the door.  Say conservatively 15 bucks per person for food.  60 bucks.  4 beers 40 bucks.  There you go 400 dollars without even getting a souvenir.  

I say the prices are comparatively too high for an enjoyable experience.  I don't eat hot dogs.  Part of the enjoyment for me is going to Boog's Barbecue and having a few beers.  Really if I skip all the enjoyable parts of going I could just stay home and watch it on TV and save even more.  

I mean we went to Disney World in the Fall and I would say that is probably higher cost.  As 100 bucks to get in per person per day.  Plus 20 bucks to park.  And maybe 20 dollars a day for food per person and they don't sell beer. But I would say Disney World is more enjoyable for family with small kids than Camden Yards Baseball game.  

It so happens, I do have four $60 tickets as part of my ticket group.   We don’t pay a service charge and they give us A lot parking for $8.   So, it costs me $248 to get in the door.

But you don’t need to spend nearly that much to enjoy going to a baseball game.   I like my seats but have enjoyed plenty of games from the upper deck or the bleachers.    

3 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I used to think this way, but the recent prevalence of food allergies in a lot of people either means that it's just better awareness or the food is actually changed in a meaningful way to affect more people. Given how they genetically modify crops these days, I'm completely open to the idea that people aren't faking their allergies.

I've not seen any studies that show "Gluten intolerance" is an actual thing.

I have also not seen any studies that show GMO are more likely to trigger allergies.

On 3/18/2018 at 9:24 PM, Can_of_corn said:

MLB is significantly cheaper on a per game basis than the NFL, NHL and NBA.

The benefit of going to O's games rather than Nats games: The O's let you take in food and beverages.  The Nats don't, and they even search you when entering.  Hopefully, the O's don't change, because it's a big cost-saver, and the outside venders are part of the charm in charm city.   

14 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Btw, I'm surprised A-Rod's not on the list.  He was the phenom of phenoms as a young shortstop, imo.    

It wasn't the top WAR totals through 24, it was those roughly comparable to Harper and Machado, with 25-30 wins.  ARod had 38.  Sixteen players were over 30, led by Trout and Cobb.  14 inner circle type HOFers, along with Andruw Jones and Vada Pinson.  

14 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've not seen any studies that show "Gluten intolerance" is an actual thing.

I have also not seen any studies that show GMO are more likely to trigger allergies.

Something like 1% of the population has Celiac disease, and I do not want to minimize or brush off a real disease with real consequences.  But I think a much larger percentage of the population "knows" gluten is bad for you and GMO crops will be the end of us all because Jenny McCarthy said so on Ellen.

There's essentially zero reputable scientific evidence that any genetically modified crop has a negative impact on human health.

For family of 4 behind home plate with 60 dollar tickets comes to 275 dollars with convenience fee.  I would pay 20 bucks to park.  So I am at 295 just getting in the door.  Say conservatively 15 bucks per person for food.  60 bucks.  4 beers 40 bucks.  There you go 400 dollars without even getting a souvenir.  

I say the prices are comparatively too high for an enjoyable experience.  I don't eat hot dogs.  Part of the enjoyment for me is going to Boog's Barbecue and having a few beers.  Really if I skip all the enjoyable parts of going I could just stay home and watch it on TV and save even more.  

I mean we went to Disney World in the Fall and I would say that is probably higher cost.  As 100 bucks to get in per person per day.  Plus 20 bucks to park.  And maybe 20 dollars a day for food per person and they don't sell beer. But I would say Disney World is more enjoyable for family with small kids than Camden Yards Baseball game.  

Or... you could StubHub four bleacher seats for $6, eat before you come, pay Frobby's $8 to park, and you're at a real, live MLB game for a family of four for $32.  If you want to go crazy you buy four cokes from the guy outside the park for $2 and you're living large for $40.  That' may not be the luxurious experience you're looking for but I think I'd have fun.

I'd rather stab myself repeatedly with a sharp object than go to Disney World.  My wife and her sister took the kids to Disney last fall, and I can state with a fair amount of certainty that the trip cost more than all of the baseball games I've ever gone to in my entire 46 years of life, combined.

On 3/18/2018 at 9:22 PM, theocean said:

I'm not talking about Camden Yards - I said in another post that probably got buried in the thread that the Orioles do a good job at making sure games are affordable.

Other teams, not so much. Like the Ravens.

Football has 10 home games if you count the pre season. Baseball has 81 home games. Scarcity of tickets + popularity of team/sport drives up ticket prices. You're not really comparing apples to apples here. Making the comparison to Boston/the Yuckies would be better. While I agree Ravens ticket prices are high, there's a reason for that. People will pay the price to attend an NFL game, no matter the cost in some situations. They're also a business whose goal is to make money. 

On 3/19/2018 at 10:35 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

One of my goals in life is to maximize my gluten intake.  Crusty, chewy bread now.  Bread in the future!  Bread forever!!!!

I did that diet as a kid in 2007-2008 due to my immune system being whipped by antibiotics and having holes in my gut. Gluten and casine (dairy products) were the problem. I have no idea why people voluntarily want to do that diet now. I did it for almost 2 years, and it was BALLS. That and I did it back in the day when everything was made with gluten. We didn't have any of this gluten free stuff being marketed to the public. 

1 minute ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I did that diet as a kid in 2007-2008 due to my immune system being whipped by antibiotics and having holes in my gut. Gluten and casine (dairy products) were the problem. I have no idea why people voluntarily want to do that diet now. I did it for almost 2 years, and it was BALLS. That and I did it back in the day when everything was made with gluten. We didn't have any of this gluten free stuff being marketed to the public. 

If that makes you feel better, that's all good.  But I've been eating pasta and bread and all kinds gluteny goodness for going on five decades and I'm pretty darned healthy.  Mankind domesticated wheat thousands of years ago and I'd guess the overwhelming majority of people haven't had have the symptoms you did.

Disney prices are BS, even coming from a former florida resident who got discounts. You could move to seats in the upper deck and the outfield. Sat in both, and the view is fantastic from any spot in the ballpark and they're cheaper. Beer is normally like $5-$8 depending on what you get. Food is around $10-$12 depending on what you get too.  There are ways to make a trip to OPACY affordable if you want to take your kids if you use your head. That and small kids under 9 get in free now with an adult buying a ticket, so that negates some cost there. 

9 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Football has 10 home games if you count the pre season. Baseball has 81 home games. Scarcity of tickets + popularity of team/sport drives up ticket prices. You're not really comparing apples to apples here. Making the comparison to Boston/the Yuckies would be better. While I agree Ravens ticket prices are high, there's a reason for that. People will pay the price to attend an NFL game, no matter the cost in some situations. They're also a business whose goal is to make money. 

I'm a little amazed that baseball is able to charge the prices they do for 81 home games a year.  I suppose a lot of mid-week, April and May attendance is season tickets and corporate sales.  Population is higher than years ago.  But back in the 1970s and prior it was common for an early midweek game at Memorial Stadium to draw 4,000 fans.  The '74 Orioles had eight home games that drew under 5,000.

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If that makes you feel better, that's all good.  But I've been eating pasta and bread and all kinds gluteny goodness for going on five decades and I'm pretty darned healthy.  Mankind domesticated wheat thousands of years ago and I'd guess the overwhelming majority of people haven't had have the symptoms you did.

I'm fine now as my gut healed and I know i was in the small minority. We found ways around it. Check the life stories thread in the hangout club for more info on all that. Cheese was the pits to replace, because the stuff we got was made of rice and stupid expensive. It tastes as bad as it sounds. 

Archived