Bundy starts opening day

25 Nuggets

15 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I imagine the guy who was here last year and came up through the system gets the nod.  But I could be wrong.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know.    Cashner had a good season last year (by conventional stats) and they still chose the guy who was here last season.   

I not sure either, was just curious what other folks thought.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I not sure either, was just curious what other folks thought.

It’s not quite comparable, but Buck didn’t start Ubaldo on Opening Day 2014 after paying him all that money.   He went with Tillman who was 26 and had his first full good season the preceding year.   

"I just kind of figured that you can't throw 99-100 as a starter every single pitch," he said. "You can for a certain amount of time, or maybe in a few years, but that's probably it at that speed. I just am learning my body, I think, and also having to refine your secondary pitches."

Bundy has a 23-15 record with a 4.16 ERA over the past two seasons, good for a major leaguer finding his footing after a long layoff but not for a former top prospect. Many around him believe it's clear that this is just the full package of what made Bundy so precocious, emerging to render the diminished velocity irrelevant — and make the ceiling of his youth still possible.

"I think that we all believed Dylan was going to be a good pitcher, regardless of what happened after the surgery, because he was so focused and so determined and he worked so hard to get healthy, he made you believe he was going to be good," Orioles director of player development Brian Graham said.

"He's a different pitcher now," executive vice president Dan Duquette said. "He's developed his off-speed stuff, and he knows how to pitch. He can locate his fastball. He can throw his changeup. He's a little bit of a different pitcher now than when he signed — a more accomplished pitcher. He has excellent instincts. He's a really good decision maker on the mound."

Can Orioles starter Dylan Bundy still become the ace they envisioned out of 2011 draft?

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Nice to see Bundy close the spring with a strong outing.   I can’t wait for Opening Day!

Once he believes he belongs at the Major League level I think he might never see the minor league's again !.........GO BUNDY.........GO O's !!!!!

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Roch also had this tidbit:

Bundy has received advice from Chris Tillman and Kevin Gausman on how to handle the distractions that come with opening day, how to avoid getting too pumped in front of a huge crowd on the first day of the season. How to just be himself.

Archived