Cuts We Should Be/Could Be Interested In

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

Breyvic Velara and Josh Lucas were DFA by the Cardinals.

Both are guys I’d rather have on the 40 than Crichton, Kelly, etc

Lucas looks like he would be a terrific addition -- stats look MLB ready.
Are Breyvic's power numbers PCL-boosted? Good defensively?
Would they have to be traded for like Trayce Thompson?

3 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

Lucas looks like he would be a terrific addition -- stats look MLB ready.
Are Breyvic's power numbers PCL-boosted? Good defensively?
Would they have to be traded for like Trayce Thompson?

Breyvic isn’t necessarily a strong defender but it appears (from reports) that he’s solid at 2B, can fake it pretty well at SS (better than a Flaherty type), he’s also played LF, RF, CF, and 3B but I don’t know much about his defense there. He’s a utility guy who doesn’t strike out, that’s his appeal. His home park in the PCL was Memphis which actually suppresses Runs and HR.

Valera>Vielma IMO. 

14 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Breyvic isn’t necessarily a strong defender but it appears (from reports) that he’s solid at 2B, can fake it pretty well at SS (better than a Flaherty type), he’s also played LF, RF, CF, and 3B but I don’t know much about his defense there. He’s a utility guy who doesn’t strike out, that’s his appeal. His home park in the PCL was Memphis which actually suppresses Runs and HR.

Valera>Vielma IMO. 

Would you prefer him on the 25 or just the 40 and in Norfolk as injury insurance, because it doesn't look like Buck is having a utility guy.

1 minute ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Would you prefer him on the 25 or just the 40 and in Norfolk as injury insurance, because it doesn't look like Buck is having a utility guy.

Ehh, I’d have to see him play, it’s more of a strengthening the 40 man depth move. 

On 3/27/2018 at 7:38 PM, sportsfan8703 said:

He has upside that Rickard and Gentry just don’t have and he’s more athletic.  

Speaking of Genry and Rickard, does everyone agree with the Orioles decision that Gengry is better than Rickard?

7 minutes ago, Rojo13 said:

Speaking of Genry and Rickard, does everyone agree with the Orioles decision that Gengry is better than Rickard?

I do, but I think their are better options than Gentry freely/cheaply available. Gentry being on the team is a product of the “trust” element Buck talks about, he knows Gentry well and knows what he brings as a player. Whether you buy into that thought process is another story.

12 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

DFA means we can claim them and St. Louis can try to work out a trade or just let them go to the worst team to claim them? Is that right?

During DFA, a team has up to ten days to place a player on waivers. During those ten days, they can work out a regular trade for the player. Claiming is not an issue at all. Once the player is placed on waivers, they go to the very first team in order that claims them. And that team assumes all contract stipulations. If the player is not claimed, they are outrighted to the minors of the DFAing team. Unless it has occurred before and if the player refuses assignment, they become a FA and may sign anywhere without contract restrictions.  Hope this helps. 

9 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Valera>Vielma IMO. 

I always wondered about the Memphis effect vs. rest of PCL. Of course, that is only half the games. Wonder what the slugging splits home/away look like.

6 minutes ago, weams said:

During DFA, a team has up to ten days to place a player on waivers. During those ten days, they can work out a regular trade for the player. Claiming is not an issue at all. Once the player is placed on waivers, they go to the very first team in order that claims them. And that team assumes all contract stipulations. If the player is not claimed, they are outrighted to the minors of the DFAing team. Unless it has occurred before and if the player refuses assignment, they become a FA and may sign anywhere without contract restrictions.  Hope this helps. 

The confusing part, the part about the outright assignment to the minors, can only be done once to a player without his permission - the second time he can take full payment of his contract and walk away as a true FA., 

3 minutes ago, weams said:

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/designate-for-assignment

Under the new CBA, the DFA time span is now 7 days.

Archived