Ubaldo and Feldman

weams

• Free-agent right-handers Ubaldo Jimenez and Scott Feldman are drawing interest from teams seeking starting depth, Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe writes. The 34-year-old Jimenez endured an ugly 2017 in Baltimore, where he logged a 6.81 ERA/5.54 FIP in 142 2/3 innings (31 appearances, 25 starts). Feldman, 35, also struggled – he made 21 starts with the Reds and pitched to a 4.77 ERA/5.04 FIP across 111 1/3 frames.

MLBTR

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

If they sign Ubaldo, we take to the streets.

Never understood the Ubaldo hate. He was better than Tillman last year, and if he gets an opportunity he would be better than Tillman this year. Of course Tillman may be the worst starter with a ML contract in all of baseball.

Ubaldo is an absolute no go. He had very little value to offer the Orioles over four, mostly healthy, seasons. There is no reason to expect an improved or more consistent performance from him. 

"Jimenez, 34, is coming off a dismal 2017 (and entire tenure) with the Baltimore Orioles. The inconsistent righty posted a 6.81 ERA across 25 starts, including allowing the most earned runs (108) in the league. In four years in Baltimore, Jimenez posted a 5.22 ERA and 80 ERA+." - Joe Giglio, NJ.com

The article that I pulled that quote from actually was discussing the Mets potential interest in him because he would be reunited with one of his pitching coaches from Cleveland, where he had some success. I would be interested, if this would happen, to see if there is any real change in his performance. If there was, while it wouldn't be a complete indictment of the Orioles' pitching coaches, it would definitely make me (further) concerned about how we develop pitchers but also our potential to repair any salvage arms that we may sign.

If we had to sign one of the two, obviously Feldman is what is he is. For me, if we needed a 6th starter in a pinch or wanted to use someone help manage innings over the course of the season, we could do worse than Feldman. I just don't know that I would want him on the 25 man roster, for what I would intend on using him for (aka, I don't want him in the bullpen - only spot starts). I feel like I could get just as much value, at a lower cost, from someone already in the organization. However, if it was a long term need and we were just sticking a finger into one of the holes of the ship, Feldman is not a bad option. I just wouldn't be racing to snag him before another team did. His name would be right next to Flaherty's on my "Need to return call" Post-It note. 

51 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Never understood the Ubaldo hate. He was better than Tillman last year, and if he gets an opportunity he would be better than Tillman this year. Of course Tillman may be the worst starter with a ML contract in all of baseball.

Erratic as all heck

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

Your kidding right? Your going to use a season that Tillman was injured to make a case Ubaldo is better? Throw away the previous seasons Tillman was the Orioles best pitcher? Forget 3 out of 4 seasons Ubaldo was a complete waste of money and roster space?

Archived