So what’s the deal with the pies?

Rene88

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

No, I agree.  After a thrilling, come from behind win or a walkoff homer, yeah.  But not after every...single...win.

The pies were getting old but that stupid seven nation army song they play at every  single sporting event across the country isn’t?:)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

Fans like the pies but I think a number of players besides Trumbo, didn't. I seem to remember Davis and Wieters not being amused.

So Davis, Trumbo, Wieters are all anti-pie? I'm beginning to think pie is a good test for overpaid players.

1 minute ago, capyy said:

So Davis, Trumbo, Wieters are all anti-pie? I'm beginning to think pie is a good test for overpaid players.

2017 WAR/Salary of anti-piers (Davis, Trumbo, Wieters):  -1.2/36M

2017 WAR/Salary of pro-piers (AJ, Machado, Schoop):  +11.2/31.5M

Can we get pie added to the Orioles physical? 

10 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

Not sure, but I thought Trumbo whined about it so Buck did away with it.

9 hours ago, Rene88 said:

Trumbo? Really? Is that true? If so, f him.

9 hours ago, capyy said:

Trumbo is the only one I've seen look upset after a pie.

This is one of those legends that grows around here without much basis in fact.    The O’s announced at the start of last year that they weren’t going to do the pies anymore.   For most of the year, they didn’t.    Towards the end of the season, they brought it back.    One of those times, Trumbo got pied and he looked a little irritated about it.     There’s ZERO evidence that he said anything to anybody about it.     But now he’s the bad guy.    It’s ridiculous.

Imagine you’re being interviewed with a camera zeroed in on your face.    All of a sudden someone shoves a pie in your face.    Maybe some gets in your eye.   Maybe some goes up your nose.   Maybe they just shove it in your face a little too hard and you get bonked on the nose.    Don’t you think that maybe — just maybe — you’d show a moment of irritation while the camera was still on you?   And that just maybe, that doesn’t make you a flaming jerk?

I have zero problem with Trumbo’s reaction or anything about Trumbo’s personality.     I just want the guy to hit better than he did last year.    But if he doesn’t, that doesn’t make him a bad guy.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This is one of those legends that grows around here without much basis in fact.    The O’s announced at the start of last year that they weren’t going to do the pies anymore.   For most of the year, they didn’t.    Towards the end of the season, they brought it back.    One of those times, Trumbo got pied and he looked a little irritated about it.     There’s ZERO evidence that he said anything to anybody about it.     But now he’s the bad guy.    It’s ridiculous.

Imagine you’re being interviewed with a camera zeroed in on your face.    All of a sudden someone shoves a pie in your face.    Maybe some gets in your eye.   Maybe some goes up your nose.   Maybe they just shove it in your face a little too hard and you get bonked on the nose.    Don’t you think that maybe — just maybe — you’d show a moment of irritation while the camera was still on you?   And that just maybe, that doesn’t make you a flaming jerk?

I have zero problem with Trumbo’s reaction or anything about Trumbo’s personality.     I just want the guy to hit better than he did last year.    But if he doesn’t, that doesn’t make him a bad guy.

I want him to hit well. Yes. 

10 hours ago, Rene88 said:

Sorry if I am late to this, but who banned the pies? That seemed fun. Now they are doing shaving cream pies? What’s the story here exactly?

You are trolling us.

For the record, its a safety issue:

http://www.masnsports.com/orioles-buzz/2016/02/orioles-will-no-longer-celebrate-with-pies-to-the-face.html

Archived