2018 Kevin Gausman

Il BuonO

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Had a 3 run lead, couldn’t hold it.   Not a terrible outing, but disappointing.  

That seems to be his normal as an Orioles starter.   He pitches great we don’t score enough they give him the lead he pitches well enough to cough it up and not get the win.  He has been the most frustrating pitcher to me over the last 20 years.  There have been other guys that had ability but never got even close to putting it together or had the upside he does.  He shows flashes more then they did but looses winnable games by giving back leads.  If they get a decent offer for him I will be first to help pack his bags even though I know he will go somewhere and win 20 games.  He just frustrates me so much.

Was at the game today and was surprised when he was lifted after 5. Obviously a marathon fifth inning, but he was only at 90 pitches and was dominant before that. Even in the fifth when he conceded 3 runs, he was pretty unlucky with a roller through the right side that would’ve been a double play had Schoop not been covering and a wild pitch that, at least from my vantage point, Sisco should’ve been able to block. Was there any discussion during the broadcast about the decision to pull him?

o

5 outings ago, Gausman ceded 4 Free Passes over 6 Innings Pitched ) (Sub-Par Control.)

In his next 3 outings combined, Gausman ceded 3 Free Passes over 19 Innings Pitched ) (Excellent Control.)

In today's outing, Gausman ceded 2 Free Passes (1 Walk and 1 Hit Batsman) over 5 Innings Pitched ) (1 Bad Inning of Control, which was quite costly.) 

Additionally, Gausman's final overall lines in his last 2 games have been bad.

15 OUTS:  8 Groundouts, 2 Strikeouts, 2 Flyouts, 2 Lineouts, 1 Popout

K.J. GAUSMAN )))))))) (vs. PHILLIES, 7/12)

IP:ll5 - PLUS

H:ll12) l(1 Home Run, 2 Doubles, 9 Singles)

R:llll 5

BB:ll1 ) *

SO:ll2

Pitches: l) 99  )(74 )Strikes, )25)Balls)

2018 ERA: l) 4.33  )  112.33 IP  (54 ER H/BB) 

2018 WHIP: l) 1.371  )  112.33 IP  (154 H/BB) 

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG:  l) .282 )(127 for 451)

* )) Gausman also had 1 Hit Batsman

PITCHES BY INNING

12 lll(91 llStrikes, lll31 lllBalls)

12 lll(11 llStrikes, lll11 lllBalls)

19 lll(15 llStrikes, lll41 lllBalls)

31 lll(18 llStrikes, l13 llllBalls)

17 lll(14 llStrikes, lll31 lllBalls)

81 lll(71 llStrikes, llll11 lllBalls) ) **

** )) Gausman did not record any outs before departing in the 6th inning.

o

On 7/7/2018 at 6:50 PM, ReclaimTheCrown said:

Was at the game today and was surprised when he was lifted after 5. Obviously a marathon fifth inning, but he was only at 90 pitches and was dominant before that. Even in the fifth when he conceded 3 runs, he was pretty unlucky with a roller through the right side that would’ve been a double play had Schoop not been covering and a wild pitch that, at least from my vantage point, Sisco should’ve been able to block. Was there any discussion during the broadcast about the decision to pull him?

It was the number of pitches in the 5th. Buck references it postgame.  

11 hours ago, OFFNY said:

5 outings ago, Gausman ceded 4 Free Passes over 6 Innings Pitched ) (Sub-Par Control.)

In his next 3 outings combined, Gausman ceded 3 Free Passes over 19 Innings Pitched ) (Excellent Control.)

In today's outing, Gausman ceded 2 Free Passes (1 Walk and 1 Hit Batsman) over 5 Innings Pitched ) (1 Bad Inning of Control, which was quite costly.) 

I think I’d be focusing on the 12 hits he allowed in 5+ innings, rather than the 1 walk and HBP.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I think Id be focusing on the 12 hits he allowed in 5+ innings, rather than the 1 walk and HBP.

o

I did, if you read my entire post.

13 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Additionally, Gausman's final overall lines in his last 2 games have been bad.

o

Which is followed by his actual numbers, which are self-explanatory (in addition to the fact that I commented directly on those numbers.)

o

He would have won the game if he had a RF'er

There is no way to really gauge the effect of having the worst defense in the majors on our pitchers

If you are a fly ball pitcher and you know that any fly ball to RF has a high probability of dropping in, how does that weigh on you?

Trumbo should never never never be on the field defensively

He lost the game not Gausman.

• 2 weeks later...

o

6 outings ago, Gausman ceded 4 Free Passes over 6 Innings Pitched. ) (Sub-Par Control.)

In his next 3 outings combined, Gausman ceded 3 Free Passes over 19 Innings Pitched. ) (Excellent Control.)

In his last outing, Gausman ceded 2 Free Passes (1 Walk and 1 Hit Batsman) over 5 Innings Pitched. ) (1 Bad Inning of Control, which was quite costly.) 

In his today's outing, Gausman ceded 0 Free Passes in his first 4 innings Pitched ........ and then walked 3 consecutive batters in the 5th. ) (1 Bad Inning of Control, which was again very costly.) 

Overall, Gausman has sustained 3 consecutive bad outings ........ and in the process, his ERA went up from 4.05 to 4.54.

14 OUTS:  6 Groundouts, 5 Flyouts, 2 Strikeouts, 1 Lineout

KEVIN JOHN "K.J." GAUSMAN )))))))) (vs. RED SOX, 7/23)

IP:lll4.67

H:llll3) l(1 Home Run, 2 Doubles)

R:llll 5

BB:ll3

SO:ll2

Pitches: l) 79  )(44 )Strikes, )35)Balls)

2018 ERA: l) 4.54  )  117.00 IP  (59 ER H/BB) 

2018 WHIP: l) 1.368  )  117.00 IP  (160 H/BB) 

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG:  l) .278 )(130 for 468)

PITCHES BY INNING

91 lll(71 llStrikes, lll21 lllBalls)

15 lll(81 llStrikes, lll71 lllBalls)

17 lll(10 llStrikes, lll71 lllBalls)

81 lll(61 llStrikes, lll21 lllBalls)

30 lll(13 llStrikes, l17 llllBalls) ) **

** )) Gausman recorded 2 outs before departing in the 5th inning.

o

Archived